ForumsNewsFile Uploads

File Uploads
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 10, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
We are happy to announce the availability of file uploads. You can now upload any file to Toodledo and attach it to a task for safe keeping. This is a convenient way to keep all of your project files in one place. We have also provide a healthy 1GB of storage capacity, which should be plenty of space to store all of your important files.

To support file uploads, we have created a second tier to our subscription plans. We didn't think that it was fair to increase the cost of our "Pro" subscription to support file uploads. So, instead we have created a new subscription plan called "Pro Plus" which is required to use file uploads. If you already have a "Pro" account and want to upgrade to "Pro Plus", we have a prorated upgrade path.

You can learn more about our subscription plans on our upgrade page.

This message was edited Apr 10, 2008.
silva.mind

Posted: Apr 11, 2008
I like the idea of file uploads, and "I think" it could be useful. But I don't know, as I tend to work from the paper output of this tool, and therefore would have the paper (upload) with me if it was going to be helpful. Still, it's a nice organizational extra. But there are a couple of potential problems, as I see it:

1> "Try before buy" might get some people hooked that would never consider it. For instance, I can't see how I'd use it, and probably am not willing to pay more than what it costs me to own disk space. Of course, you do have the 30-day refund policy.

2> $15/year for 1 GB of storage? Of course, it is only a one-time charge (if I understand that correctly). It seems to me that a $2 to $3 additional charge per year would be easier to sell.
vegheadjones

I'm in! This is really cool. Of course, the next step is to be able to e-mail tasks with attachments, have the attachment automatically upload and the link to the task be preserved. That would really be great.
kleerkoat

i just upgraded my account, but it added a year to my subscription and didn't give me file access. :-(

did i do something wrong? i clicked on the "special prorated link".

thanks.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 1 Reference
monkeygrip, you must have accidentally clicked on the "1 year renewal" link instead of the upgrade link. I'll fix it for you right now.
kleerkoat

thank you, it's working now!
Doug Reichard

>>> We didn't think that it was fair to increase the cost of our "Pro" subscription to support file uploads.

No it should have been part of the Pro subscription! Or at least have a small amount of space available to us pro subscribers then charge for more space.

The expectation of having access to update to the system is somewhat expected when you pay for the pro service.

I would have to say it is disappointing that new features were not part of the Pro account.

I have Access to 5GB free from other sources. I can easily link to via notes.

The extra $15 is a disappointing trend. I'll have to consider if its worth the convenience. But, at first glance I am disappointed that this was not part of having a pro account.

This message was edited Apr 11, 2008.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
I understand your disappointment, and believe me, we would have loved to have made this part of the Pro subscription. Normally, added functionality incurs little or no additional overhead for us, so we give it out to everyone for free. This is not the case with high-availability redundant storage with continuous backups. The added infrastructure is significant and we are unable to give it to everyone for free.

We had three options.

1) Don't add file storage
2) Increase the cost of Pro
3) Create a second tier subscription

We decided that number 3 was the best for our customers because it allowed people who don't want this functionality to avoid having to pay for it.

If you look at our competitors, we are still significantly cheaper: Vitalist charges $120/year for 1GB of storage and Nozbe charges $125/year (Remember the Milk doesn't have file storage). We think that Toodledo's $30/year is a very affordable solution for people.

As far as future updates go, we plan to continue providing most of our updates to our Free and Pro subscribers. Pro Plus was created solely for file storage and we intend for that to be the only significant difference between the two subscriptions.

I hope that helps explain our decision.
Jeremy

For what its worth, I support your decision to charge. Your product as a whole is worth way more than $15 a year and giving us the option to have storage (I don't think I will use this feature) is a good move.

I'm sure its frustrating to have people whine about improvements and upgrades!
Doug Reichard

Posted: Apr 12, 2008
Thanks. Your explanation makes sense. It is a reasonable price. But cost wasn't my point. I think you had another option you didn't list.

I think a 10-25mb teaser for current Pro and the the Pro Plus account might have been something considered. I probably would have upgraded with less thought involved once I could see how I could use it. And it would be more like what other sites do scaling features.

I may be reacting because I recently got the pro account only to find a couple weeks later a new tier. It not a issue of adding features it is the perception of adding tiers. (Which you explained adequately)

I love your service. I'm not against charging the price for 1 GB.

Part of my point is that with subscription software you have an expectation that part of the subscription includes updates. Which I understand is normaly the case, and I understand the significance of this upgrade, but the new tier without adding something for current subscribers feel a bit off putting no matter what the cost.

I don't believe I'm whining about you improving your software. I am trying to provide feedback on how it may be perceived when you add a new tier like this.

Your explanation make sense, and I hope my feedback does as well.

This message was edited Apr 12, 2008.
jwelshjr

Posted: Apr 14, 2008
I understand and even agree with Doug's point to an extent. (The idea of functional teasers seems to be a winner, but there needs to be a distinction between updates and new features/functionality - especially those that could noticeably change operating expenses.) However, I am glad that you didn't just force us to either pay more for new features in the Pro Account or be "downgraded." That's basically why I left Vitalist some months ago. Keep up the good work, and always remember to value an existing customer more than a potential one.
guy

Is the ability of emailing tasks with attachments something that is being loooked at for the future?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Yes, emailed in attachments is something that we are looking at.

Thanks
vegheadjones

That's great to hear! I upgraded already, but I really don't see a use for this until I can forward an e-mail to toodledo and have the attachment not get removed.
kbeer

Posted: Apr 17, 2008
I upgraded to Pro Plus.

1) It should have been called something like "Pro w/Storage". The way it is now, I'd be nervous if I hadn't upgraded that other non-storage updates would go in Pro Plus and not Pro.

2) If you forget to re-subscribe you only have 7 days before you lose your data. That's not enough time. If you're on vacation or something at the wrong time, you'd end up losing your data.

3) There should be a way to automatically resubscribe each year for Pro or Pro/Plus
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 17, 2008
When your subscription is coming close to expiring, we display a prominent "expires soon" warning on the website to remind you to resubscribe, so it should be a rare case when you forget to renew. But you make a good point. We should extend the safety net by more than 7 days.
J-Mac

Posted: Apr 20, 2008
I have a Pro account and now I'm curious as to exactly what benefits does the Pro account offer? I know that the calendar feature was one that was not available to users unless they had a Pro account, but now that is no longer the case. And now file storage has been added, but not to the Pro account.

I believe there was a comparison matrix somewhere before that laid out all the differences, but I am not sure now where I had seen that.

What are the benefits I have with my Pro account that are not available to Free subscribers?

Thanks!

Jim
Colin A

Posted: Apr 21, 2008
@J-Mac
You can see a comparison between the different Toodledo versions and other lesser alternatives (IMHO) at http://www.toodledo.com/info/compare.php

For the record I'm with Toodledo on the pricing strategy they've adopted for this.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 21, 2008
You also go here to see what you can get with the two different subscriptions:

http://www.toodledo.com/pro.php
Dave

Posted: May 09, 2008
I too am very interested in being able to 'upload' attachments via email-in. I think this would pursuade many users to upgrade to the Pro-plus account. Any ideas of whether this functionality is expected to be available in the next release?
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.