ForumsNewsToodledo Redesign - July 2011 - Part 3

Toodledo Redesign - July 2011 - Part 3
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 28, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
Continuing on yesterdays batch of bug fixes for our recent redesign here is a list of additional bugs that we just fixed:

1) If you have the "Experimental Scrolling" feature enabled in your account settings, you will now be able to print more than the first page of tasks.
2) If you have the "Experimental Scrolling" feature enabled in your account settings, and you view your tasks in multi-line mode, the label on the right side of the list will no longer be off the right side of the screen.
3) Fixed a bug where the default values for adding new tasks may not have always been set correctly when in the view for that value (for example, the folder default when in the folder view).
4) Fixed a bug with the tag view where "All Tasks" could have been put into the default tag for a new task.
5) Fixed a bug where the "Tasks" tab wasn't clickable when in the scheduler.
6) Fixed a bug where the dots on the calendar view would have been incorrect if the task had a start-date and due-date that were in different years.
7) Fixed a few other bugs that are too technical to explain here.

Please keep the feedback and bug reports coming via support tickets and questions in the Questions forum. This thread gets too full for us to directly answer questions here.

Thanks,
Jake
Salgud

Score: 0 Reference
Thanks, I can print an entire list now. Still would like to print in a larger font, but I think it's fitting to page width. Longer term, it would be great to have more control of printing, say by having a separate list of columns in the printed version than in the on-screen display.
Casey

Score: 3 Reference
It's like you were with me and solved my problem as it occured! The one page print issue, that is (I was also concerned about the scroll right to see the details bit, and you solved that one too!)

I still have one problem outstanding that I hope you can solve also. I suppose there's the possibility that I was the only one to use the j, k, and l, subtask keyboard shortcuts, but I doubt it (although, that's about the only thing that I've come across that I haven't seen in the forum). I would really like this feature back. With the "scroll right" bit resolved, the only thing that slows me down is having to use my mouse to indent, hide, or flatten my subtasks and this is a fairly significant inconvenience for me.

If you made that change (and possibly adding the option of "ticking" folders like we can tick tags or contexts, I would have (literally) zero complaints about toodledo and would be 100% thrilled with the new layout.

As it is, I'm spending time writing on this forum and reading the forum for updates when I would rather be checking things off my list.

Okay, I'm done whining.

Thanks for the improvements and thanks in advance (hopefully) for the keyboard shortcuts resolution.
JPR

Score: 2 Reference
Posted by Casey:
...I suppose there's the possibility that I was the only one to use the j, k, and l, subtask keyboard shortcuts, but I doubt it (although, that's about the only thing that I've come across that I haven't seen in the forum). I would really like this feature back....

There may have been only two of us. I submitted a support ticket.. here is the response:

The j,k,l keyboard shortcuts will be coming back as something else in a future update. We found that very few people were using them to switch the subtask behavior and we needed to reserve some extra keys for a future idea.
adamsjw2

Toodledo's new design makes it one of the best looking apps on my Moto Xoom. Please keep up the good work. I can't wait until there is a widget that looks this classy and professional. Hmm...maybe I should start programming again. Is there any particular language that works best with the Toodledo API?
JA in KY
Studio B Events, Inc

Score: -1 Reference
Simple request, but I'd love to be able to UNCHECK all subtasks by unchecking the PARENT task like you can when CHECKING the parent task.
Casey

Posted: Jul 29, 2011
Posted by JPR:
There may have been only two of us. I submitted a support ticket.. here is the response:

The j,k,l keyboard shortcuts will be coming back as something else in a future update. We found that very few people were using them to switch the subtask behavior and we needed to reserve some extra keys for a future idea.

That's no fun. Just because few people use it, doesn't mean it wasn't a good idea . . . couldn't they give us some resolution? Maybe doing <ctrl>+J, etc? I miss it. Rather than a keyboard shortcut, now it's two clicks (and it's about the only thing I need the mouse for . . . I hate the mouse).
paulj.mail

(Apologies if this is not the best place)

New UI (partic. stars / priority)
- like the in-page refresh much better (a la Web-App)
- like some of the functionality
- BUT in terms of quickly seeing what is important the new UI has lost something ...
(this is not a complaining whinging post - the new UI is certainly good enough)

For instance
- it is now harder to instantly see which items are starred
(down to colours, icon sizes and fonts)
- it is now harder to see which items are high priority
(didn't you used to change the font size and/or embolden ?)
(you bolden the Priority itself, which is conceptually wrong as it is the item that is being prioritized not the priority (priority level) ... )

So a few tweeks to the visualization or importance and it will be back to being wonderful again

Thanks and Good luck
jtermyna

I really like the new design, I only have 1 small quibble.

The Log off or sign out is hard to find than in the old version. If I have to leave my desk I always sign out. Could you make it more prominent.

Thanx,
Jim Termyna
Qrystal

Posted by Toodledo:
Please keep the feedback and bug reports coming via support tickets and questions in the Questions forum. This thread gets too full for us to directly answer questions here.

Thanks,
Jake

I just wanted to point out that Jake has requested that we use the support tickets for bug reports and feedback. I missed this message the first time I posted my feedback too, but I have now remedied my error by submitting a support ticket.

This is especially important for bug reports, and for feedback on things that are genuinely more difficult to use or find after the redesign. The quicker we report these things in a way they are sure to be seen, the more likely they will be fixed sooner rather than later! :)

Cheers everyone, and good job on finding thoughtful feedback to report! Together, we will help Jake get Toodledo even more awesome than it already is! :)

-Qrystal
michaelkamen

Made a support ticket for bug noted, i.e., multi-line view retained the elongated-horizontal orientation of grid view, following change to grid view and then returning to multi-line. One then has to scroll way to the right just to find the notes icon when viewing detail in multi-line view.

Once this is corrected, the option to hide the left panel becomes, for me, much less pressing.
craigjtrost

Help! how do I add multiple tasks under the new format? I've got around 30 tasks I'd like to type all at the same time. Please don't make me manually type them all separately. There used to be a way. Where did that button go?

Thanks for your help!

UPDATE: Nevermind. Just like other things on the internet, if you click around long enough, you'll find your answer. Note to anyone interested, if you click on the words Add Task" you can then click on add multiple tasks and go from there.

A helpful suggestion to the designers, I'd suggest making that a little more obvious to the average user. It's a really great tool that I think was inadvertently hidden.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2011.
rmwade55

I'd like to request the ability to move that notes icon. Even if the left panel can be hidden, the whole window won't be in view. Please consider giving the option to move it to the left.
Scott

In grid view you can change the note icon to be on the left - it's an option in the settings / show tasks as - area.

Posted by rmwade55:
I'd like to request the ability to move that notes icon. Even if the left panel can be hidden, the whole window won't be in view. Please consider giving the option to move it to the left.
Ant_1293528082

Posted: Jul 30, 2011
Hi guys and girls,

It's a real pleasure to be part of the ToodleDo community with it's balance of constructive whining and appreciative praise. I love the new UI and am getting to see this wonderful application with new eyes. For example, the notes section is taking on a new meaning for me simply because the look is so much more professional and opens up new vistas of use. All that without taking into account technical changes, add-ons or whatever.

The calendar view was a sore point for me in the old version so I appreciate the new set up in ToodleDo with the week view the dots, two month view etc. I've been using Google, which incidentally is much better with its recently revamped version.

A point for your consideration:

I should love to be able to set up a regularly occurring appointment like night class every Friday and:

Have it visible in past present & future dates as in a standard calendar
Be able to change one occurrence in the group if need be to another time for a particular week or to change the heading.

I cannot even imagine the technical issues around this demand but I would no longer need another calendar and could stay completely in the Toodledo environment for all my GTDing.

Thanks to everybody for this fantastic lively place to be on the Net...

Kindest regards

Tony
jlau

Posted: Aug 02, 2011
Shoot, I just wanted to say great job on the redesign! It's clear that a lot of thought went into it for step reduction and I appreciate that you guys had to make some tough calls to pull that off (can't make everyone happy).

I'm very happy with the improved layout and improved usability, kudos!
Pilar_G

Posted: Aug 03, 2011
Thanks for all the hard work. Please add the highlighting according to priority level, I am really missing that feature!
sprouty76

Score: 0 Reference
Posted by Scott:
In grid view you can change the note icon to be on the left - it's an option in the settings / show tasks as - area.

Posted by rmwade55:

Oh wow, had no idea you could move the notes icon to the left - that's really useful. Cheers!
business1

Score: 3 Reference
Man I LOVE the redesign. This is better IA, better UI, better UX overall.

One small but significant nit: As I've used the tool consistently since the redesign, I've noticed that every time I go to add a new task I have to look around for the "add task" button. It happened again just now. The placement of the button is right, but it looks too much like a part of the inner-header.

Once clicked, the button state changes to "cancel", and a new "add task" button appears below all the task details for submitting the changes. That second "add task" button is orange and easy to see.

Consider making the initial "add task" button orange. It's by far the most important user action on the page - especially for new users with a blank slate. And the initial and secondary submit "add task" buttons would then be linked because they would share visual treatment.
Mike

Posted: Aug 04, 2011
Posted by business1:
I've noticed that every time I go to add a new task I have to look around for the "add task" button. It happened again just now. The placement of the button is right, but it looks too much like a part of the inner-header.

Gentlemen -

I'll second this. The ADD button sort of blends into the entire page. I do find myself searching for the button from time to time.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.