ForumsNewsiOS app update: Version 3.0 includes over 100 improvements.

iOS app update: Version 3.0 includes over 100 improvements.
AA

Posted: Dec 02, 2012
Score: 3 Reference
I cringe whenever I hear of "aesthetic facelifts". That kind of undertaking frequently ends in disaster. See the current complaints about lack of colour. I'm waiting for version 3.0.1 or later before upgrading from version 2.

I wish that whenever there was a radical re-design of anything in the realm of software, there also always was backwards compatibility, so that users could keep the old design if they preferred it. This is even worse in the world of iOS which makes it impossible or extremely difficult to revert to an old version of an app if you dislike the new version.

This message was edited Dec 02, 2012.
jpv2112-s

Score: 0 Reference
I've been using 3.0 for almost a week and I've noticed no problems. I like it!
ChristianDiscer

Score: 5 Reference
My short wish list; (1) reduce empty space, (2) hide elements when they are not set. For me there's no need to display "No folder", "Doesn't repeat", "No Due Date", etc.

Thank you
Ami

Hello,

Let me, first of all thank you for an astounding app that is more than useful to me.

I have it now for almost three years and it is of a great help!!!

So thank you.

I just did a software update through iTunes and discovered the new app's interface.

I feel the need to share with you my feedback:

1. Visually I miss the contrast that was there in the last version: black arial (i think bold) on white background + blue frames.
Now it is a much less contrast and in grey, much less easier to read quickly when in action.

2. I still can't get clearly the different types of sorting, and trying ti get the info about the new symbols in the help file...

3. The Priority (the colored triangle in the corner): the difference between each level is not clear, again, in case of the need to get the necessary info in a glimpse.

Maybe, for those things, you can add in the settings the possibility to choose the text and background colors, as well as the graduating colors of the different priority levels.

4. I understand the reasoning behind simplifying the home page.
However, personally I use A LOT the folders system and now I have to do more clicks to get to the folder's list.

Could it be possible to have in the setting a configuration of a personalized homepage.

Again, I LOVE this app, and would LOVE to continue using it. And I would appreciate to have your feedback about mine.

Many thanks for you attention,

Sincerely yours,
Ami

Score: 1 Reference
Posted by stu.kruse:
Is anyone struggling with the two big bugs that are now causing me a major headache?

1) Unresponsive - i.e. tasks don't mark as done for at least 5 seconds after you click on the 'tick box' to show you've completed them.

Thanks for listening,
Stu

Hi,

I noticed the same problem too.
Which can lead to confusion: clicking "done" several times and not knowing whether the task was sent to completed or not.

Thanks
Joyce

Score: 4 Reference
I'm so so disappointed...

What's really breaking it for me, and maybe I don't know where to find it, I had the filter set for "hide future" because 90% of my tasks are repeating, daily or weekly. in the old versions I would check off my task and it would disappear from view and my list got shorter. The next morning I would have the list back again. My tasks don't have due dates, they are just daily rolling tasks

So...Now when I check off "Empty dishwasher" it reappears immediately for tomorrow but it's not at all clear that it's for tomorrow. Is that "Hide future" itself hidden somewhere? Please?

The grey is too low contrast, I can get used to it...but without "hide future" I'm stuck. It's broken.
M_ichel

Posted by witness:
Two suggested improvements to the new iPhone app:

1. Offer the option for a smaller font size. The current one takes up too much screen real estate.
Thanks

I would support this suggestion if you implement it *exactly*. In other words, if you offer *the option*.

Please don't force a smaller font on old geezers like me!

Thanks.
AA

Posted: Dec 03, 2012
Well, my mistake, but I took my iPad 1 (running iOS 4 as its highest possible version) and upgraded to version 3 there. The result is that all 376 of my tasks have disappeared from Toodledo. Only the notes have been left intact. How do I get the 376 tasks back into Toodledo? They are still there on the website, the new iPad and iPhone.

The color scheme is every bit as disappointing as described by many people in this thread. I've always disliked Apple's passion for grey tones, but this takes it to a new extreme. Decidedly inferior compared to the previous version. And I can't really comment on the new tasks features because all the tasks have disappeared.

Thank you for any help on how to get the tasks back.
Shane

Score: -1 Reference
Apparently I'm in the minority, at least on this thread. I really like the changes. I think the UI is much better. I have designed a number of databases and I think this one follows UI rules much better. I like all the changes. It's easier to find fault and talk negatively so maybe your only hearing one side as far as your changes goes.
AA

Posted by Jake:
Task list is empty on iPad after updating
This is also a bug that we are trying to track down. We have not been able to reproduce it, but we know from several customers that deleting the app and reinstalling will fix it. It may be an issue with a corrupted update from Apple. Sorry for the inconvenience.

OK, a reinstall fixed it for me. That was a few scary minutes. :-o

I must say I do like the new look of the tasks titles themselves on the iPad. I do believe the font might be too large on an iPhone screen. For the iPad, I'll keep that font size even if the option to make it smaller will be added.

Everything else except for task titles suffers from low contrast, however. Even task notes (much improved display of notes in this Toodledo version!) seem to use some kind of gray font instead of black. "Gray on white" doesn't seem like such a good idea. And the colours distinguishing normal priority and high priority tasks really are too similar: like two shades of orange.

The biggest improvement in version 3 for me is the display of HTML in notes fields. Many thanks for that! :-)

This message was edited Dec 03, 2012.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We are working really hard on an update to address lots of these problems.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, which I guess I should point out, is that this design isn't really new. It's the same design that our mobile website ( http://m.toodledo.com ) has had for almost a year. We didn't get any complaints about our mobile website, so we thought it was pretty good to standardize. Obviously we were wrong.
nigelbamber

Posted by Jake:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, which I guess I should point out, is that this design isn't really new. It's the same design that our mobile website ( http://m.toodledo.com ) has had for almost a year. We didn't get any complaints about our mobile website, so we thought it was pretty good to standardize. Obviously we were wrong.

LOL - that is funny.

People don't like change and people these days give immediate reactions without giving proper consideration. And boy oh boy do they take it personally.

I too wasn't sure about the changes, possibly because I read the negative commentary, but after a few days, I have got to like them. Yes it isn't perfect, and the font should be changeable to suit people's choices but overall it's an improvement. The old blue colour was as a bit naff after all !

Jake - keep up the good work. Your APP is the best because you can slice & dice the information so powerfully & intuitively, keep up the good work.
AA

Score: 4 Reference
It's possible that most users with iOS apps have never used the mobile website (why would they?), and were therefore completely taken by surprise by the radical redesign. I've been with Toodledo for about 2.5 years as a paying customer, but the first time I opened the mobile site was right now, to take a look. (I generally avoid all mobile sites, even on the iPhone's tiny screen, because they typically offer such an abysmal, hacked-down user experience compared to full sites; especially on the iPad's fairly large screen, it's never necessary to use mobile site versions.)

My first impression: yes, Toodledo's mobile site is gray as well, but not as in-your-face gray as the new apps. ;-) They almost seem like faded gray compared to the mobile site. For example, the font used for the notes field appears crisp & black on the mobile site, whereas it looks like dark-grey on white in the apps.

As soon as color themes are offered for the new apps (and font colors and sizes should be customizable, too), it's possible they will be a real joy to use and indeed a big improvement over version 2. :-)

This message was edited Dec 03, 2012.
annelindenfeld

Score: 5 Reference
I have been a big fan of Toodledo and use it everyday, but the new look of the update (at least in the iPad version) is truly horrible. With the tine graphics, lack of color and contrasts, there's nothing for the eye to catch on, making the task lists difficult to scan.

Please bring back e old iPad design -- or at least use colors, clearer graphics in the new version. Or give people the option of changing the desktop style to someing less European early 80s train schedule graphics style.
111rmp

1. Font size is too small on iphone for my eyes.
2. grey color scheme is harder to read then previous version. Please add customization for font size and bring back color. I miss the green checkmarks too! Thanks.
shuhankuang

I think TD should hire a good designer. :(, now I don't want to open the app with the new UI.
Martys To Do

Thank you very much for the update.

I was very hesitant to install this version due to the negative comments, but this is a big step up. It is initially taking me longer to decide how to integrate it with my day, but it has more responsiveness and potential.

I agree with the font issue -- but it seems as if this is getting fixed.

Thank you for continuing to work on this dynamic product.

It seems that there are always a bunch of negative comments about how it takes too long to make changes and then when you make changes, obviously, there are going to be unforseen issues and another bunch of negative comments.

But Toodledo improves in the long run while some of the competition remains either stagnant or just trendy and impractical (but with a cute interface).
Alan

Score: 2 Reference
Well, I for one have had enough. I'm switching to Appigo's "ToDo" app to sync with Toodledo, and I will decide soon if I'm going to stick with Toodledo completely. I may no longer need it, but I still think it's the best web-based task manager around.
Randy Orrison

My main comment is that I hate the grey background. Especially in cases where it's a dark grey font on a light grey background. Maybe younger eyes prefer less contrast, but it doesn't help me any.

Smaller font for the task title, it's unnecessarily large and I can't see as many tasks at a time on the screen.

Lose the details line for each task -- it's almost too small to read, and unnecessary.

I too wonder about the orange triangles at the top left of each task. (After further reading I see that they're supposed to indicate priority, but they all look the same unless I compare two tasks with different priorities that are next to each other.)
mco

Posted by Alan:
Well, I for one have had enough. I'm switching to Appigo's "ToDo" app to sync with Toodledo, and I will decide soon if I'm going to stick with Toodledo completely. I may no longer need it, but I still think it's the best web-based task manager around.

Appigo seems to have stumbled with their latest releases as well. Read the reviews carefully and decide if that's really what you want to do.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.