ForumsNewsiOS app update: Version 3.0 includes over 100 improvements.

iOS app update: Version 3.0 includes over 100 improvements.
Korbin Berg

Posted: Dec 03, 2012
Score: 1 Reference
I don't particularly care for the new color palette but it sounds like you have a long-term strategy for themes and I think that is a good solution to address everyone's preferences.

Two things from a UI standpoint that bother me though...

1) On the iPad, I don't like that the task details pane stays populated with the last task I viewed even after tapping on another view via the shortcut tray. At that point, my focus is no longer on that previous task I was viewing and I find it distracting to have it still visible on-screen (especially if it doesn't actually exist in the view I have switched to via the shortcut tray.)

2) On the iPad, if I am in landscape mode and tap to edit a task title (via the task details pane) the UI rotates to portrait even though I was using the app in landscape.

I do have to say that even with these issues, I am MUCH happier with the direction the app is going compared to the previous iPad version.

Thank you!

BTW, I'm using an iPad 2 with iOS 5.1.1
Korbin Berg

Score: 2 Reference
One other idea I think might be nice would be to use the empty space below the shortcut tray to allow users to save shortcuts to custom views that are not included in the standard shortcut tray. This could either be a second tray or just an extension of the standard one.
grizzlypapi

Score: 0 Reference
I'm one of the lucky ones. While I'm not terribly excited by the new interface, I've survived the ordeal and am now attempting to put my life together and go on, even with the rather dull appearance of TD.

I'm far more concerned about the broken Tag filter feature. I'm seeing three different behaviors.

Going in to select tags to filter by (Show option), when I click on the tiny arrow to show the tags, I get dumped out of TD entirely.

Sometimes, when I expose the tags, they show, but I can't select/deselect them.

When I select "Uncheck all", nothing happens. Sometimes, the app crashes.

In any case, iOS TD is unuseable for me at the moment.

Since I'm not terribly traumatized by this, I guess my request for a fix will stay low on "the list", behind the urgent, even crucial, need for a prettier interface to save those few who have survived this terrible ordeal thus far, but are still in serious danger of permanent psychological damage, from the fonts and colors of the latest version.

AKA, salgud

Edit: After posting here, I decided to try changing the tag filter even though the changes don't show up in the filter menu after I make them. It works if I "uncheck all", then check the one(s) I want to show and close the filter dialog. It's just that the checkmarks don't adjust to the changes until after the fact. When I go back in, they are as I set them last, so it does work, just doesn't update the filters dialog properly. It is still dumping me out entirely at times.

A fix would be good, but the problem is not as traumatic as I previously thought.

This message was edited Dec 03, 2012.
Alan

Posted by mco:
Appigo seems to have stumbled with their latest releases as well. Read the reviews carefully and decide if that's really what you want to do.

Good advice. Thanks.
Ami

Score: 3 Reference
Posted by Jake:
We are working really hard on an update to address lots of these problems.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, which I guess I should point out, is that this design isn't really new. It's the same design that our mobile website ( http://m.toodledo.com ) has had for almost a year. We didn't get any complaints about our mobile website, so we thought it was pretty good to standardize. Obviously we were wrong.

Thank you Jake,
I, like others, didn't use the online mobile version of the website.

Let me stress again:
As I discover GTD and David Allen, and as the way I use to work,
I am looking for efficiency.
With the older graphics, tasks were easy AND QUICK to read, to handle, move from folder to folder etc.

That seems to be the reason of my requests, which seem to be shared by others.

I, too, believe that Toodledo is more that great,
me feedbacks refer to the grafic presentation.

Many thanks for your attention,
and the participation of all of you.

A.
Alan

Personally, I don't expect the mobile version of a site to work or look the same as a dedicated app. If that were the case, why have a dedicated app, especially since you can use the mobile site offline anyway.
Alan

Posted by Alan:
Posted by mco:
Appigo seems to have stumbled with their latest releases as well. Read the reviews carefully and decide if that's really what you want to do.

Good advice. Thanks.

OK - this was actually great advice. Obviously, ToDo isn't the same app as it was a year or so ago. I'll stick with Toodledo and await the fixes. Or use the mobile site for a while. The fonts seem to be easier to work with on the mobile site.
Salgud

Posted by Alan:
Personally, I don't expect the mobile version of a site to work or look the same as a dedicated app. If that were the case, why have a dedicated app, especially since you can use the mobile site offline anyway.

I think you meant just the opposite. You can access a dedicated smartphone app offline, it'll just save your changes until you're online and it can sync. To use the mobile site, ya gotta have internet access.
MVCasey

Posted by Michael:
Also miss the bold font; the bold makes it MUCH easier to read!
AA

Posted by Salgud:
To use the mobile site, ya gotta have internet access.

No, Salgud, you don't. Toodledo's mobile site is pretty smart and looks better than the new apps despite all the grey in it. I just have no use for it (not being on Android).
AA

Score: 5 Reference
Posted by Martys To Do:
It seems that there are always a bunch of negative comments about how it takes too long to make changes and then when you make changes, obviously, there are going to be unforseen issues and another bunch of negative comments.

You're spinning this. I don't recall Toodledo users demanding a radical facelift of the iOS apps and a change to a low-contrast, all-grey color scheme.

What the users typically demand is new features, and they hate nothing more than when a software developer, instead of giving the users the long-requested features, gives them a radical face-lift of the user interface, showing that the staff's resources were largely spent on something the users would view as a low-priority issue.
will.sargent

Score: 2 Reference
I'm having some problems with the new UI.

I keep all my tasks organized by folder and context. Everything goes into the Inbasket Folder by default.

Now, every time I want to switch between folders I have to click on the Folder dropdown, then click on the folder I want. It's actually more work than previous UI.

If you're doing feature requests, I'd like to be able to keep folders or contexts in the grey task area to the left.
Salgud

Score: -1 Reference
Posted by AA:
Posted by Salgud:
To use the mobile site, ya gotta have internet access.

No, Salgud, you don't. Toodledo's mobile site is pretty smart and looks better than the new apps despite all the grey in it. I just have no use for it (not being on Android).

I put my iPhone in Airplane mode, and couldn't access the mobile site. The dedicated iOS app works fine. I'm still convinced you need an internet connection to get to an internet site, mobile or otherwise, but not for a dedicated app. It's not about how "smart" the app is, it's about where it lives.

As to all the gray, I can barely tell them apart that way.
shelbyp

Posted: Dec 04, 2012
Just a quick note, in the new IPhone app, when I am on a parent task I see subtasks with a number which is the TOTAL number of subtasks.

I find this misleading I think it should either report the number of open tasks or something like #open/#total e.g. (5/15).

The total # of subtasks is not very useful and misleading since I have 15 subtasks showing when in fact 10 are completed...

I generally like the new layout / and functionality!
keep up the good work!

This message was edited Dec 04, 2012.
Mike Curl

Since Version 3.0 has been acknowledged to be so bad, would it be possible to put the old version back up as Version 3.1 so we could get the good UI back while TD works to fix the problems?
Salgud

Why are people down-scoring legitimate comments? The purpose of down-scoring is to identify blatant attacks on others and/or spam, not comments that you may personally disagree with.

My reply above about how the mobile app works vs the mobile website is in no way unkind or an attack on anyone. It's just my belief. I could be incorrect (but I don't think so), but even if I am, that's not cause to down-score my post. Same thing with Mike Curl's post above. While I don't agree with his proposal, it's a legitimate idea which he is offering, not any kind of inappropriate spam or attack on others.

I would ask that we use this forum feature sparingly, and only for it's intended purpose, not to censor opinions we disagree with.

Mike Curl

Score: 3 Reference
Thank you, Salgud.

If Toodledo had been a mediocre product before, the current problems would not have been so disappointing by comparison. I was one of the biggest fans of the uncluttered UI and the speed of the app. I was a very happy camper, but now, not so much.
JPR

Posted by Salgud:
...My reply above about how the mobile app works vs the mobile website....

In the mobile site there is a setting called Storage. You can enable it to permanently store data in the browser, thus enabling you to work off-line.
StarshipTrooper1989

Great update. One add to the enhancement list:

Allow custom defaults when adding a subtask from a parent task. I find myself repopulating the goal and tag fields repeatedly when in the process of creating new tasks.

Thanks!
Salgud

Posted by JPR:
Posted by Salgud:
...My reply above about how the mobile app works vs the mobile website....

In the mobile site there is a setting called Storage. You can enable it to permanently store data in the browser, thus enabling you to work off-line.

Cool, I hadn't seen that. I stand corrected, yet still stand by my right to be ignorant and post accordingly! :) I also have no objection to being educated when I am.

You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.