ForumsNewsiOS app update: Version 3.0 includes over 100 improvements.

iOS app update: Version 3.0 includes over 100 improvements.
LockeNYC

Posted: Dec 04, 2012
Score: 4 Reference
Please remove all the indicators that say things like "not repeating", "no due date" etc. Use blank white space instead as in previous versions.
LockeNYC

Score: 2 Reference
If like me, you have a Mac and have already lost the ability to restore v2.4.2 from your backup, here's instructions to get it back.

1. Download the free EaseUS Mac Undelete here:
http://www.downloadcrew.com/article/27446-easeus_mac_undelete

2. Install and run the undelete program.

3. Type "toodledo 2.4.2.ipa" (without the quotes) in the search box. Click on the arrows on the left until you get to a folder with the word Trash in it, check the box and you should see the file in the window on the right. Hit Recover and save it to your Desktop.

4. Delete ToodleDo from your iPhone.

5. Open iTunes and drag the file into the Apps folder. Click yes when it asks if you want to overwrite the existing file.

6. Connect your iPhone to your Mac.

7. Click on your iPhone in iTunes and click on the apps tab. Sort by app name. Then scroll through the app list until you get to Toodledo. Drag the ToodleDo icon to where you want it in the on screen view of your iPhone home screen and/or check the tick box next to ToodleDo.

8. Hit apply and your iPhone will backup and eventually sync the ToodleDo 2.4.2 into your iPhone.

9. Disconnect when it's done and run ToodleDo. You'll need to input your credentials, sync with the ToodleDo server and reset all your preferences but you'll be in business!

I truly hope that future versions of ToodleDo will fix the problems of v3.0. The lack of black bold on white contrast, the clutter (ie "not repeating"), the font size, menus appearing at the top too often, and more just all added up to be a deal-killer.
Ami

Hi LockeNYC,

Thanks to your idea, and a backup I did a few weeks ago,
I reinstalled toodledo 2.4.2.ipa

Thank you,

A
AA

Score: 0 Reference
Posted by Salgud:
I put my iPhone in Airplane mode, and couldn't access the mobile site.

For the first time, you need to access the mobile site online to build a database within the cache of your browser. (That's similar to installing a dedicated app.) Afterwards, you are apparently able to use the mobile site even offline. Your comments may have been downgraded because they appear to be misleading. Did you build that initial cache in your browser? If yes and the mobile site still doesn't work for you offline, it may be a problem with your browser's cache.

This message was edited Dec 04, 2012.
AA

As to features that are still missing, I find it surprising that an advanced app and software like Toodledo is still behind Microsoft's aweful Outlook in some respects. The single biggest deficiency of Toodledo is the inability to set certain recurring tasks properly. For example, you still (as far as I'm aware) can't set a task to repeat (for example) "every last weekday of a month" or "every second Tuesday in December" or even the very simple (!) "every last day of the month". I think I voiced my disappointment over that in this forum about 2 years ago.

I supect much of the bitterness in the feedback to the new version comes from realizing that instead of adding important missing features, Toodledo's staff seems to have focused on a radical overhaul of the user interface, even though there really was nothing wrong with the old interface that would necessitate such a focus right now.

First things first, I say. First add missing important features, like the ability to set recurring tasks properly, and only then devote your time to cosmetic things like polishing the user interface (let alone changing it from the ground up).
Joyce

I have to agree with AA.

I know you guys are working your butts off and I do appreciate it.
mco

I miss the actual date added and date modified when sorting by those fields.

This message was edited Dec 04, 2012.
Mike Curl

LockeNYC,

I tried to use your method to restore the deleted earlier version of Toodledo, but the "EaseUS Mac Undelete" app won't let me select a volume. I can select any mounted volume and click on "Next", but the only thing that happens is a message pops up asking me to select a volume. Do you have any idea what is going wrong?

Thanks.
castiron

Posted: Dec 05, 2012
I can live with the new interface for now but am not crazy about the colors; I'm looking forward to being able to make custom themes, though.

I see the reasoning for displaying "overdue" -- someone might be sorting by a criterion other than due date -- but it's still not very useful. The original due date, or better yet, "5 days overdue" or "8 wks overdue" would be more useful; I want to know how long I've been putting off that task.

Since I often look at my lists by tag, the extra tap to see all my tags is rather annoying. I'd prefer to default to displaying all, or at least to opt to see more than three (and not just the first three alphabetically -- the ones I visited most recently or look at most often would be preferable).

When I select the Notebook section, will that first screen ultimately have something more relevant than "All Notes"? Say, folders? (Otherwise, seems like one could just go directly to the notebooks without that extra step.)

Overall -- don't hate it, don't consider it an improvement yet either, but am reserving judgement until after a couple more updates.
shelbyp

Posted by LockeNYC:
Please remove all the indicators that say things like "not repeating", "no due date" etc. Use blank white space instead as in previous versions.

I vote for this as well, but I think it should be blank if there is no due date/not repeating, but otherwise it can be displayed. i.e. by default it is blank... else this seems to waste a lot of space when the majority of tasks (mine in any case ) fall into this category.
Simon Fincham

Update submitted to Apple; details in this thread

https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/16195/0/estimated-time-frame-advanced-release-notes-for-next-update.html

This message was edited Dec 05, 2012.
LockeNYC

Posted by Mike Curl:
LockeNYC,

I tried to use your method to restore the deleted earlier version of Toodledo, but the "EaseUS Mac Undelete" app won't let me select a volume. I can select any mounted volume and click on "Next", but the only thing that happens is a message pops up asking me to select a volume. Do you have any idea what is going wrong?

Thanks.

Not sure but you can try asking for help at Easus.com. Alternatively, this Data Rescue 3 undelete software lets you retrieve 1 file for free as a demo so you could try that too:
http://www.prosofteng.com/downloads/download.php?prodID=78
Mike

Posted by Jake:
We are working really hard on an update to address lots of these problems.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, which I guess I should point out, is that this design isn't really new. It's the same design that our mobile website ( http://m.toodledo.com ) has had for almost a year. We didn't get any complaints about our mobile website, so we thought it was pretty good to standardize. Obviously we were wrong.

Jake,

Just browsed to the mobile site from my PC to see how the grey looks there. I think the issue is the color compared to the amount of screen real estate.

the grey colors look fine on my 21in monitor because the white space (or light grey) provides the needed contrast. Condense that all down to an iOS screen and i think it becomes less readable.

just my two cents... (still love the product!!!)

This message was edited Dec 05, 2012.
rdd

Score: 5 Reference
Dear TD developers,

First of all, thanks for your continuous efforts on improving the product. As is to be expected with a huge update as this one, there will be positive improvements and negative ones. The good news is ofcourse that the almost instant feedback on this forum gives ample input for further improvement.

I have tried the update for a bit now and these are my findings:

1) The gray color scheme is awful indeed. But much has already been said about it, so this is just my +1

2) The main screen contains the section 'View task by:' in which I have for example 'Folders' as one of the items. Well, I have 7 folders and the fact that only the first 3 are are shown doesn't make any sense to me. This just adds an extra click to the whole process and makes it unpredictable as well. The idea that the 3 Folders with the most items are shown does not necessarily mean that those are the ones that I would like to access most. So, I would prefer to go directly in one go to the full list. The same goes for other items (Context, Tags, etc.) I would even say that the vertical extension bothers me a bit. I prefer the previous behavior where it seems you slide horizontally to a next screen.

3) The 'Search'-bar is great! Especially the fact that it now really searches (before it had to be almost a perfect match, now it does really search also parts of words in both title and notes)

4) The 'Quick Add Task'-bar is nonsense. Using the button Add Task is much quicker. I would consider removing it to free up some space.

5) The 'Show' and 'Sort' icons are quite small and it happens regularly that I mis-click. Especially the 'Show' icon is tricky, since it is close to the button 'Task' just above it. For me, this whole bar with the 'Show' and 'Sort' icons could be hidden just like the 'Search'-bar. On the other hand, I do not really use the 'Show' option that much, because I don't really understand how it works. More on that in point 6.

6) The 'Show' icon gives access to some kind of filtering, although I find it's use rather complicated and a bit counter-intuitive. The most important thing that bothers me is that it is not a one-time filter, but it is some kind of global setting that remains active until you set it differently. The same actually goes for the sorting. It remains set no matter what view you're in. It doesn't make sense to sort by Folder if I am in the Folder view. What I would love to have is a way to quickly filter. So an interface to quickly compose an 'on-the-fly' query by a few simple clicks. Another great feature would be the saved searches, just as the website has.

7) The two ways of choosing a custom due-date is excellent! (calendar or date picker wheels) Especially since it remembers your preference.

8) If you change a setting, it displays 'Wait' in the right top corner. What does it mean? Because it stays quite long, it is a little confusing. Should I really wait before I do something else?

9) Often my hotlist dissappears when I start scrolling during sync. This actually happened also in
the previous version, so it is more of a general bug, I think. Actually I just dicovered that it now also happens under other circumstances and that it even blanks the home screen of the TD app. The way to restore it is to close the app and to double-click the hardware button on the iphone to remove the app from the internal memory.

I hope you can use my comments for the next update.

Thanks and keep up the good work!
Eddie S

Posted: Dec 06, 2012
Score: 1 Reference
Absolutely hate the mobile update. Its hard to imagine how someone can think its an improvement. Please bring back the much better and near perfect Toodledo classic.
Aleksey

Абсолютно согласен, цветовое и дизайнерское решение мобильной версии крайне неудачное! Оставьте возможность применять хотя бы другие цветовые схемы.
rowalker

I hope you will consider making the priority flags an option that you can toggle off or on in settings. With my set up, I have absolutely no use for these. To my eye, they clutter the display. I wish I could make them go away. Thanks, Bob
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We had prepared and submitted an update to Apple that fixed lots of things, but it didn't fix everything. After getting additional feedback, and thinking about it, I have decided that the best decision right now is to revert to the previous version until we can get everything sorted out. So, I have just resubmitted the old version to Apple for review. Once Apple approves the update, you will be able to "upgrade" to the previous version of our app.

In the meantime, we are working very hard to address all the complaints that we got from everyone and we will be incorporating all the feedback to make our "3.0" release up to the quality that everyone expects.

I apologize for any inconvenience our poorly executed update may have caused anyone.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8  

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.