Toodledo for iOS downgraded
Colin

Posted: Dec 12, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
Good suggestion aether
steve

Jake, the only issue I had with the new version was the very large font on the "main" screen.
I hope you bring the new style back at some stage with font options but, in the meantime, thanks for the "downgrade".
I think Toodledo is superb and wouldn't dream of switching away.
Thanks for all you do.
Steve
bahetc

Score: 1 Reference
I also liked the look and feel of the upgrade but the FONT was too large. If the font size could be adjustable that would be great. I'd like to see a smaller font the same size as the new side bar that you developed
Jeff Putney

Score: 2 Reference
I didn't get much chance to use the new interface, so I can't say anything about the usability. I just want to say that I thought the graphic design of the new interface was an improvement.

But, what about getting search on the iOS client? This has been promised for years! It is always a huge disappointment to see all of this effort spent on UI design, first the web interface, and now the iOS interface, without first bringing the functionality of the two in sync. This is a bigger issue than background color, or tab style.

Aside from that, the iOS client still seems to work like a point and click web interface. I have a multi touch screen. I'd rather not categorize items by going into each one and selecting a category from a drop down list box. I'd rather grab a bunch of items and move them to where I want them. Obviously that's much more programming work, but I'd like to throw my support behind experimenting with the UX design even more than the UI design.

So, I don't think you're spending time developing things that would be of much value to me even if the stuff you are releasing looks nice.
james_t_russell

I like tne new version and would like to get it back for the iphone? Is there a way to get it back. I really don't understand the criticism.
Purveyor

james_t_russell,

You can try the instructions in JPR's post here:
iOS app update version 3.0
(Scroll down the page to the highlighted post.)

If you have a Mac, you can try my instructions here:
Upon update of Toodledo app
Of course, you would be restoring version 3.0 rather than 2.4.2.

Also, when you say you "really don't understand the criticism", have you read Jake's summary of the criticism here:
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/16121/-76747/read.html

This message was edited Dec 12, 2012.
lflorack

Although I really appreciate the fact that you're listning to your customer base and I'm sure I'm in the minority, I really liked the new version much better on the iPad. The iPhone version, although not as good as on the iPad, was better for me also.

So, I will not be updating to a newer version until later. How much later, I'm unsure of right now.
Will

Hi, I really liked the new interface, so I'm not pleased to see it go. It should be possible to let all users choose between several (colour) types of interface.
Keep up the good work!
Will
Barry-Jon

Thanks!

I haven't loved the latest version as much as I would have hoped. I've refrained from getting into it on the forum here because I felt it was getting a little heated.

Whatever my thoughts or anyone elses, I recognised how much work you had put into the 3.0 version and, as a developer myself, I know how difficult some of the feedback you've been given must have been.

Toodledo is the best and I will continue to recommend it to all my friends and colleagues.

Honest best wishes from a very loyal and happy customer.
TheDingle

+1 For Aether's proposal

I preferred the new layout better than the old - but the ability to use both versions would be a good for new people to try out - Especially coming up to Xmas.

You could then clearly identify the number of "downloads" of a particular version?
zilitron

Well poop. I just upgraded BEFORE I read this post. I thought it was just minor bug fixes.

I LOVED the new interface. The design was so much better, compact, cleaner. Of course, your sample is biased because people are always resistant to change, and you'll generally only hear from complainers, not praisers.

How do I revert back to version 3.0
mlsphd

I was initially unhappy with the upgrade, but got over it the same day and liked 3.0. I'll go give a nice review to counter anyone who freaked out over the change. Keep up the good work. Toodledo works great with my GTD system!

Posted by Jake:
We received a lot of complaints about our 3.0 update to our iOS app, so we made the decision to reverse everyone to the previous version while we regroup and figure out what went wrong. This is available now as an upgrade. If you like the new design, don't upgrade and you can keep it.

App Store

If you have given us a poor review on the App Store, please consider changing your review to reflect the current state of the app. Negative reviews are tremendously hurtful to our app revenue, which means less resources to keep improving it. Good reviews really do help. Even if you have rated us before, you can rate us again with each new update that we release.
Joyce

I would have eventually gotten used to the grey version but it had a not so minor(to me)issue. The hide future filter was broken as far as repeating tasks went. My completed tasks regenerated any time I idled the app. I have to admit I prefer the classic black and white layout better and I hope the Grey version gets a lot of thought as to options before it's reintroduced.

I can bet I will be asking my dh to sequester this version for easy reversion next time.
M_ichel

Hi Jake.

1- I don't particularly like the 3.0 interface changes that were made, but I'm not going back.

2- You might want to call 3.0 a "beta" version, and put it out there, as well as the previous version, so that your more adventurous customers can try it and feed you their comments; they could do this in confidence, knowing that in case of serious dislikes, they can always fall back to the previous version. Of course, there are additional costs involved in maintainig and supporting two versions and this also must be taken into account by you. This has already been suggested elsewhere in this thread.

3- As regards the interface likes and dislikes: you'll NEVER satisfy everyone with your choice of font size (for example): if it's OK for me, it's too large for my left-hand neighbor AND it's too small for my right-hand neighbor! You understand what I mean. The answer to this is to make those choices user-selectable. A lot more work for the developer, but the resulting increase in the pleasantness factor and therefore user satisfaction is probably worth it. Keep in mind that most of those items can be satisfied with a limited number of choices (font size: small, medium or large). Many would be simple ON/OFF: "display the priority triangle in the corner or not", "display the folder name or not", "display the full task description or just the first two lines", etc. You know what I mean.

Good luck. My PRO subscription expires soon and I will renew it.

"Fall seven times, get up eight times."
PackDude

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for going back to the old layout. I seriously hated the new layout and was actually looking into switching to Toodledo alternatives because of it. Now I can keep using this great system. Thanks again.
boydston01

Thank you for reverting back to the old version. I agree with the re-thinking b/c, in my opinion, there was just something not quite right with the new layout/strategy. It seemed to go in a good direction in some ways, but in the wrong direction in some other ways. Sorry my analysis is so vague; hopefully you tons of specific feedback to figure out a better overall strategy.

The only specific problem I saw, was the accordion style did not fully expand a selection, thus requiring another click, which countered the whole "less clicks" goal.
Purveyor

Posted by aether:
Please provide two forks of Toodledo as separate apps available in the App Store.
There's still the issue of what to do with features that have been requested for years, e.g. Saved Searches, nested subtasks, full collaboration, and file attachments. Jake said:
These four features are at the top of the list and as soon as we get the bugs worked out we will release them to you.
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/16121/-76747/read.html

In which version should these features be implemented?
Seems to me that the next version should combine the best of both previous versions and then the new features can start to be implemented.

This message was edited Dec 12, 2012.
Jimbobal

I loved the new version but accidently upgraded and want to roll back. How can I do this please?
bcmyers

Score: 3 Reference
I'd like to respectfully suggest that those of you who liked the 3.0 UI ought to avoid trying to read the minds and hearts of those of us who didn't. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean he or she is hyper-emotional or otherwise irrational. Unless you believe you are all-knowing and all-wise, it's best to simply accept that it's OK for people to have opinions other than your own.

That being said I'm glad I have this opportunity to say publicly that I was very unfair to Jake in the thread announcing the debut of v3.0 of the iPhone app. I stand by my negative opinion of the redesign, but my opinion of Jake himself was unfounded. Rolling back to the prior version of the app was a pretty bold move.

Yes, Jake was under pressure to do so. I can tell you, however, that other, larger companies have responded with far less speed and with poorer results under similar circumstances. A few months back I upgraded to Quicken 2013 because of the advertised mobile capabilities. It took them two months and eight patches to get that and other key functionality working. Intuit's response throughout the ordeal was, "We're working on it." The new Toodledo iPhone app wasn't even "broken" per se but Jake acted swiftly and decisively to give customers what they wanted.

As a result of the issues with the iPhone app I had decided to experiment with some other alternatives. I found some things I liked about Nirvanahq, so I signed up for a monthly subscription and had begun moving my data. After using Nirvana for a bit I found myself dissatisfied. Some of the features were nice but for the most part the web and iPhone apps added an unnecessary level of complexity to my GTD practice. (I'm a big believer that one's GTD "systems" need to be REALLY simple -- simpler than I think the vast majority of people make them.)

So I'm back to Toodledo and I feel like I've come home. I've experimented with probably two dozen online list managers and I can tell you that Toodledo has won every round by a knockout. Why? Two reasons: ease of use and customizability. It took me about 10 minutes to figure out how to use Toodledo, and the interface is laid out logically.

As for customizability, Toodledo is amazing. There isn't another cloud-based list manager that I've seen that has as many features as Toodledo offers. I don't want most of those features, but that's no problem. The ones I don't want can be easily suppressed. I can easily sort my data however I want to. I choose the simplest option -- alphabetically -- but there are list managers that don't even let you do that. Again, that's my point: you can make Toodledo your own.

One thing I forgot: the sync capability of the Toodledo iPhone app is rock-solid. I have never -- NEVER -- had an issue with sync conflicts or lost data in three plus years of using Toodledo. That's huge.

So I'm back and when my Pro Plus subscription is due I'll renew.

I will give a five-star review for the Toodledo iPhone app when I get the chance. I'd also suggest that anyone who is as happy with Toodledo as I am should consider talking it up in other online forums. For example I'll post something at the David Allen Co forums. Why? Toodledo is worth having around. Jake just took a hit and I don't mind spending a couple of minutes doing some guerilla marketing.

By the way, I didn't think v 3.0 of the iPhone app was an abomination. With the addition of color and better contrast, and the option to adjust the size of the text, I think I could get used to it. For those who think those are minor complaints, I disagree. I go back to my first point: you have your opinion, but I'm entitled to mine.
lien.jonathan

Thanks for bringing the old version back. I hated 3.0. I even started playing around with other to-do apps. I have been a user of Toodledo iphone app for almost 2 years now. It is still the best to-do app for the iphone.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.