ForumsNewsiOS app update - 3.0.2

iOS app update - 3.0.2
northside.mobile

Posted: Mar 03, 2013
Score: 0 Reference
Did I miss a response about continuing to make available the previous version of the app in the App Store as "TD Classic"??? I have been keeping up with this forum and saw many ask but do not see anything from the devs. I don't know all the App Store rules, etc. so please let me know why this is impractical for you.
roopns

Posted: Mar 03, 2013
Hi,
Although I like the new UI, I have the below issues, which is impacting my usage:

1) The app response on a iphone is slow, Especially when I want to view 'All Tasks' list
2) Search feature does not work in 'All Task' tab

Can you pls fix this at the earliest. It is very difficult to get to use other third party app after being used to toodledo.
most.mackinest_132...

Posted: Mar 04, 2013
Score: 1 Reference
The iPad app worked for a few days after I uninstalled, restarted the iPad and reinstalled the app. However, it has stopped working again, and even after deleting, shutting down and reinstalling it only worked for a few minutes before crashing. It is now permanently crashed, and I don't see the point in reinstalling it every time I want to check my to do list, which is what it seems to have come to. The iPhone app seems to be fine, but the iPad app, while nice-looking, is incredibly problematic. Please fix. I love toodledo but will need to find a new to do list if this keeps happening. Help!
mlb32704

I'm not sure if this is the right area to post this, but I posted a separate question before I saw these related posts, trying to save Jake and ToodleDo time and confusion here...I will gladly submit a ticket but again, I'm thinking that my issues are all part of this bigger issue - performance (speed) with the new release. In my case, specifically, I see a dramatic reduction in speed as I toggle between main functions in the app when viewed on both an iPhone 4S and an iPad 2. Going between Tasks and Notes, or Notes and Settings, or any function back to Tasks, results in a very noticeable and very annoying delay. If I make the mistake of double tapping tasks, I get sent out to the main screen vs. my primary view (folder), which is doubly annoying. I'm getting used to it and the other posts have provided me with the sense of relief that I am not alone and that a fix might be on the way. Not sure, hard to tell what's what in this post, I saw Jake's submission to Apple for improvements but I'm not sure if that is going to cover my specific issues? I saw a couple of recommendations relative to deleting completed tasks, I backup weekly so this would not be a problem for me if someone at ToodleDo vs. the forum truly believes that this will fix my issues. In any case, somebody please weigh in as to whether or not I'm posting in the right place, that my issue is the same, different or part of the overall "performance" issue, whether Jake or anyone at ToodleDo has provided an update since the most recent post about the Apple submission, any estimated time frames, etc. Thanks.
Christoph Dollis

If I make the mistake of double tapping tasks, I get sent out to the main screen vs. my primary view (folder), which is doubly annoying.
This.
paul_1351977321

Isn't the solution to this called "version 3.0.1"? Go back to a stable version and hope the third time is the charm?

Posted by Jake:
We have not yet been able to reproduce the iPad crashing problem, so we haven't found a solution yet. We would really appreciate more data. If your iPad is crashing, please follow these directions to submit a crash report to us via a support ticket so that we can find out what is happening.

http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=80

The power of Toodledo (and it's weakness) is its configurability. With so many settings, there are too many combinations of settings for us to be able to test every combination. It must be some combination of settings that we didn't test with. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Purveyor

Posted by paul_1351977321:
Isn't the solution to this called "version 3.0.1"? Go back to a stable version and hope the third time is the charm?
I think that's as likely as an asteroid hitting the Earth ... ;-)

What's slightly more likely (just slightly) is having two versions of the Toodledo app, "Classic" and "New Improved". There have been some pretty good arguments for offering two versions but I don't see that happening.

In any case, Toodledo is web-based first, mobile second. The website has many features that are not available in the iOS app: Saved Searches, Collaboration, file attachments (for Pro Plus subscribers), Scheduler, Statistics, and the ability to move a subtask from one task to another. A lot of room for improvement in the mobile app, besides changing the
"look and feel".

Conversely, there are some nice iOS apps that are primarily mobile, with some type of added web-based functionality. The developers of these apps are trying to create a web environment that is as powerful and stable as Toodledo. So far, they are not even close to succeeding, but they do offer several options for syncing besides their own websites: Toodledo, Google Tasks, iCloud Reminders, and Dropbox. And, the iOS apps have several features that are missing in the Toodledo app: ability to edit multiple tasks, add photos, link Contacts, skip recurring tasks, manually re-order tasks, move subtasks to another task, smart filters, tap-and-hold shortcuts, intelligent parsing of task entry, and more.

Lots of choices.

This message was edited Mar 04, 2013.
gtrevor

Posted by Jake:
We submitted an update to Apple last thursday that contains a 3x speed up of loading lists. I have around 2000 tasks on my list and it now loads the "All tasks" list in under 2 seconds (it took 7 seconds before). This is on an iPad 3. Slower devices may be slower. When Apple approves this update, it will be available. Meanwhile we are working on more speed improvements and other fixes.

Thank you Jake - to be fair I've kept using the new version and since purging my completed tasks it works much faster, and I now prefer the new layout on my ipad to the previous version - you can get more text in the notes field and overall looks more professional...

Looking forward to the update to make it even quicker!
mlb32704

Posted by JPR:
FWIW, if you sync with iTunes for Windows, you can find the old version of any app you update in the Recycle Bin.

The single most helpful piece of information that I could find in eight pages worth of mostly opinion pieces on the subject of the new release.

I have rolled back to 3.0.1 and stuck the .ipa file up at my Dropbox account just in case I update by mistake. Since everyone is giving an opinion, here is mine...clearly the ToodleDo team put some good time and effort into this latest release but it misses the mark. Look and feel is OK but I like the old look and feel better, and I am not alone. A lot of wasted space, replication of similar functions, and a lot of new functionality that is worthless to me personally. I just want a basic to do list sortable by two criteria (date and tags), that looks and behaves like the Web site does. But the biggest issue to me is the speed and delays with the new iOS app on an iPhone 4S and iPad2. I was on vacation when this latest update came out so I really couldn't kick the tires on it until yesterday/today, it is SLOW. I mean toggling between functions takes a LONG, long time. I see a lot of inferred advice about deleting completed tasks, uninstalling/deinstalling, etc. I will be doing NONE of those things unless specifically directed to do so by ToodleDo and even then, I question why I would need to do that with a supposedly better, faster, more improved app?

Until I am forced to do so, or I see some compelling evidence that 3.0.2 is the fix/update that we've all been waiting on, I have no intention of updating again. But the good news unlike a couple of other misguided folks is that I have no intention of leaving ToodleDo. I've checked out the alternatives, several times, for my own simple purposes, nothing beats ToodleDo, even an update that is worse than the original. Maybe there's some reason behind the requests for a "ToodleDo Classic" alternative after all. I totally understand that that is NOT going to happen, but, at least consider using the old look and feel as much as possible with the new functionality. It WASN'T broken, it looked and worked great, for years, why change it? You're not going to be all things to all people, why not at least keep it simple and great looking, leverage the investment that you've already made and keep the majority of your client base happy? I'm not jumping ship, I believe in ToodleDo, it's the best to do app out there, even with this lousy "improved" fix/update.

I have to believe that ToodleDo is going to prioritize fixes based on their own views coupled with the majority of Pro-related complaints, then the masses get their say. I get it. Speaking as one of the many non-paying masses, I would suggest speed issues, then look and feel, then everything else everyone is whining about. But please do fix it and soon, before even I have to start taking another look at alternatives, again.

This message was edited Mar 04, 2013.
atrapletti_1299699...

Posted: Mar 05, 2013
On the iPhone marking a task as complete is buggy. It does sometimes show the completed mark sign and sometimes not (although the task gets the completed status). It seems to happen when starting up the app and trying to complete a task the first time. After the first task is completed it seems to be ok.
rjr27

I like the recent revision of the update. There is just one issue that bothers me, and I wonder if it could be changed? This is in the Hotlist view. Items that come up during the next seven days view are listed by calendar date, rather than by the names of the weekdays on which they occur. In the previous version, the due date was shown as "Monday", "Tuesday", etc. I find this much more useful than seeing a calendar date. If you want to revise the date on which an item becomes due and go into the "Edit due date" view, the days are listed both by calendar date and by the name of the day. Could this please be changed back to how it was before? Many thanks.
Christoph Dollis

Posted by rjr27:
I like the recent revision of the update. There is just one issue that bothers me, and I wonder if it could be changed? This is in the Hotlist view. Items that come up during the next seven days view are listed by calendar date, rather than by the names of the weekdays on which they occur. In the previous version, the due date was shown as "Monday", "Tuesday", etc. I find this much more useful than seeing a calendar date. If you want to revise the date on which an item becomes due and go into the "Edit due date" view, the days are listed both by calendar date and by the name of the day. Could this please be changed back to how it was before? Many thanks.
It makes to have this all the same on the website and app. If it was the same as the old app, that's great. It worked well.

This message was edited Mar 05, 2013.
canscot

Posted: Mar 06, 2013
Would love to post a crash report but it won't stay open long enough. Instant crash every time.

Posted by Jake:
[quote]We have not yet been able to reproduce the iPad crashing problem, so we haven't found a solution yet. We would really appreciate more data. If your iPad is crashing, please follow these directions to submit a crash report to us via a support ticket so that we can find out what is happening.

http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=80

The power of Toodledo (and it's weakness) is its configurability. With so many settings, there are too many combinations of settings for us to be able to test every combination. It must be some combination of settings that we didn't test with. Sorry for the inconvenience.[/quote][/quote]
Purveyor

canscot,

From the link in the post that you quoted:
The crash logs are located on your computer in various places depending on your computer's operating system. You must first sync your device to your computer via iTunes. Then look in the following location.

Mac: Hold the option key and select "Library" from the "Go" menu. Then navigate to: Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/iPhoneName/Toodledo###.crash

XP: /Documents and Settings/yourName/Application Data/Apple computer/Logs/CrashReporter/iPhoneName/Toodledo###.crash

Vista: /Users/yourName/AppData/Roaming/Apple computer/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/iPhoneName/Toodledo###.crash

This message was edited Mar 06, 2013.
rachaelholland111

The latest iPhone version stinks. I liked every version up until this one. It's now slow and it crashes.

I'm going to stick with Toodledo, however, because it's been so good up until now and I'm confident they will fix it.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Our 3.0.3 update was just approved by Apple, and it contains a 3x speed up of list loading. Please give it a try.

We have another updating that we are preparing right now that has some additional speed improvements and bug fixes.
eykanal

Posted: Mar 07, 2013
Posted a while back, but just to re-iterate... on both my older iPod (4th gen, 8 GB) and my newer iPad (3rd gen, 64 GB, wi-fi) the new app works fine. I'm not noticing any of the slowdowns that the others are mentioning on either device. Just checked, I have ~2,500 completed tasks. So far, so good! Thanks to Jake and team for all their hard work!

This message was edited Mar 07, 2013.
PetrV

Please allign offset of the button Add Task (buttons in the top right of the screen, on iPhone it is ugly. Thanks!
Xxx_2

I hope that after resolving performance problems, Toodledo back to work to provide the version "Classic" of the app along with the "New Improved" version in the iTunes Store, giving users the option to choose.
If however Toodledo not decide to do this, I think the best path now is become optional in Settings most demanded items (buttons size, font size, text color, contents shown or not, etc ...). I know many apps that work very well, leaving to the user's choosing many things like these.
I use Toodledo on my iPhone several times a day, in actions that need to be fast and easy to see wherever I am, in a well-lit ambient or not, walking or sitting in the office, in the elevator, etc. ... and then the interface has to "communicate" well and fast, and this is not better with tiny buttons, pastel colors and wasted spaces ... Of course, for some the new dimmed style might work, but for me, the old one was great, with the only requirements to improve the long've been asking and have always been left to the future of the team Toodledo as Emoji icons, option to coloring texts, etc. ...
fool

Just updated my ipod touch 5th generation IOS 6.1.2. from 3.0.1 to 3.0.3

Everything is working fine. The speed improved a lot, especially during "Search". The former noticable delay in 3.0.2 was gone, but still it is just comparable to that of 3.0.1.

I like the following new feature:
1. touch the task details to edit
but no more ...

I suggest the following improvements:
1. When the Tags function is switched ON, I expect the Tags list to fully expand automatically.

2. I prefer a bigger font size, just like that in the past.

3. I suggest the "touch the task details to edit" function to work in such a way that, the cursor stops at the point where we touch it, but not jump till the end of the list.

4. After the "Add Task" tab was pressed, there appeared another "Add Task" tab, it is rather confusing, I suggest to have it renamed as "quick add".

On the whole, if I am a new user to this apps, I will be happy with the overall layout and performance.

But, as an old user, I saw no noticable improvement, except for the new "touch to edit function".

If your company really want to change, I have no choice but to accept the change. Hope that you are not changing for the sake of changing
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.