ForumsNewsNew Section: Outlines

New Section: Outlines
Jason Bushell

Posted: Jun 07, 2013
Score: 1 Reference
Posted by Purveyor:
Okay, let's see:

No way of classifying the outlines, e.g. Folders, Contexts, Tags.
No Date Completed.
No Dates that can be modified by the user.
No Notes.
No Filters.
No links to Tasks or Notebook.
No ability to copy a branch.
No ability to uncheck all items in a branch.
No ability to automatically create numbered lists.
No indication of proportion of items completed.
No ability to export data.

Seems to me that this is still in Beta (or even Alpha, depending on what are considered the main features.)

How many users were asking for an outliner in Toodledo?

Meanwhile, as Salgud points out, there are many features that users have been asking for and that haven't been implemented. For example, take a look at this topic: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/14676/0/possible-improvements-and-new-features.html

Have you seen the ToDo section of this site?

I'd try that out if you havent already.
sprouty76

Score: 3 Reference
Interesting, but would have preferred hierarchical subtasks. Don't recall anybody asking about an outliner.
emorozov

Score: 6 Reference
I would certainly much prefer simple ability to order tasks or subtasks within current Tasks functionality. This is so when you break a task (or a project for that matter) up you have a way to prioritize and order the parts directly, rather than resorting to workarounds like tags, naming conventions, etc. etc.

I believe this request was in the forums for a pretty long time, it would be much more useful than stand-alone "Outlines" function.

What do you think?
Jason Bushell

Score: -1 Reference
I think you all love to moan.
sprouty76

One suggestion: if you have an item highlighted and you click Add Node, it should add it below the node you've highlighted.
Jason Bushell

Just press [enter].
sprouty76

Saying the button should work the same way as the shortcut. Sometimes having one hand on the mouse is more convenient, especially if you're selecting different nodes.

Also, if the node is highlighted but isn't in edit mode, pressing enter opens that one, rather than adding a new one.

When dragging nodes, it's not quite as clear as it could be where exactly they're going to end up. Compare and contrast with the highlighting when dragging subtasks.

Just trying to be constructive.

This message was edited Jun 07, 2013.
sprouty76

Score: 0 Reference
Oh, and could use per-node notes. Unless I've missed something.
Jason Bushell

Posted by sprouty76:
Saying the button should work the same way as the shortcut. Sometimes having one hand on the mouse is more convenient, especially if you're selecting different nodes.

Also, if the node is highlighted but isn't in edit mode, pressing enter opens that one, rather than adding a new one.

When dragging nodes, it's not quite as clear as it could be where exactly they're going to end up. Compare and contrast with the highlighting when dragging subtasks.

The problem is it would be difficult to add a new node if there wasn't a button to do so.

If that button added a new entry under the node, there would be no way of adding a new node without deselecting the current node. (Which is actually quite difficult.)

You'd need a separate button for a new entry.
Jason Bushell

Posted by sprouty76:
Oh, and could use per-node notes. Unless I've missed something.

The goal of this concept is to keep everything simple, and flowing through a hierarchy.

So a note for a node should be a sub-node.

Its really just a brain-storming/planning tool.

I've been using these for quite a while, and it works a lot better when you keep it simple, and get ideas out of your head and onto the screen.

It would benefit from better integration with to-do though. Linking the completion of a node to a completion of a task would be HUGE.
sprouty76

Posted by Jason Bushell:
Posted by sprouty76:

The problem is it would be difficult to add a new node if there wasn't a button to do so.

If that button added a new entry under the node, there would be no way of adding a new node without deselecting the current node. (Which is actually quite difficult.)

You'd need a separate button for a new entry.

I'd just put a little + icon next to each node (perhaps only visible when the mouse is over the node) to add a new sub-node. It could be automatically indented too.

As for using sub-nodes in place of notes, I disagree - I'd like to be able to show/hide notes separately from showing/hiding sub-nodes, a bit like how you can show the notes for a task on the todo side. Notes are a fairly well-understood concept in other Outliners I've tried.

I do agree about the integration with the todo side, but Jake's already stated that will be coming soon. I'd like the ability to add a task as a clone of a node, so you could do your brainstorming and then add whatever tasks drop out at the bottom.

Not sure this is really the best place for this conversation though - if you want us to move it elsewhere, give us a heads up Jake.
Joyce

I am not as computer savvy as most of you, and I was excited to see this until I realized that it's tutorials are not up and running, or if they are I don't know how they're supposed to work. and there's no video tutorial.

So I reserve judgement until I see videos.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
There are a ton of exciting things that we want to do with the Outlines section in the future, including many of the things suggested in this thread. The reason why we released this now instead of waiting until we were "done" was because we wanted to get the minimal viable product out to people so that they could start using it and giving us feedback.

Outlines will be integrated into the Tasks section in an future update. We are working on this right now. Outlines will also be included in the API so that 3rd party apps and our iOS app can use it.

It is difficult for us to provide personal responses to all the questions in these long threads, so if you want a specific answer to your specific question please create a new forum topic or create a support ticket.

We are glad that most people seem to like the new section.
dosmandan

I love the new Outline feature. I was using the Notes section for this and entering all of my information HTML text. I like the Outline feature for capturing thoughts or organizing ideas. With the future ability to tie these to tasks, I couldn't be happier.

Nice work!
Dan
nobrandheroes

Posted: Jun 08, 2013
I like the new Outline feature. Can't wait for integration with tasks.

If possible, I'd like to see HTML/link support first though, like the text input in tasks.

Good work guys.
Martys To Do

Posted: Jun 09, 2013
Score: 3 Reference
I like the added feature.
It would be great if we could import or export OPML files, which is used by many outline programs.
Is that being planned?
Thanks.
ronald.bachmann

Posted: Jun 10, 2013
I like the idea of outlines. Integrate it with tasks (as planned), and I'll be happy. Good work, thanks!
siupakmd_1338680427

Posted: Jun 11, 2013
Any similarity of the outline section planned with the old FAMOUS software Ecco ? Miss that software a lot.
describer

Posted: Jun 12, 2013
Love the Outline feature. Looking forward to the next versions which will hopefully have numbering. I,A,1,a,i,ii, etc.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 12, 2013
Today we released a small update to the Outline section.

1) Fixed but with IE8 not working.
2) Added a "Clone Outline" button so you can quickly make a copy to edit.
3) Added highlighting of title,tag,note when doing a search that matches one of those
4) The "check all" checkbox will be reset after deleting all checked items.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.