ForumsNewsEnhanced Alarms

Enhanced Alarms
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 21, 2013
Score: 0 Reference
We have just redesigned our Alarms & Reminders page to be easier to use, and we have added two new ways for you to receive alarms for tasks that are due soon.

Browser based alarms
When a task is due and the alarm goes off, a popup message will appear on your desktop or in your web browser. For this to work, your web browser must be open with Toodledo.com in one of the tabs, however it does not need to be the active tab. In the future, when supported by your OS, the browser will not need to be open.

Webhook
A webhook is a way for another website or service to get notified when an alarm goes off. To take advantage of this, it requires a little technical knowledge but it is a powerful way to extend Toodledo's alarm functionality in ways that we haven't imagined. This is also a way for 3rd party apps to receive remote alarms.
Brian Myers

It would be great if you could display the browser based alarms on the desktop even when the browser is closed. Google Chrome supports this - for example see the Google Voice Chrome extension:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-voice-by-google/kcnhkahnjcbndmmehfkdnkjomaanaooo?ut m_source=chrome-ntp-icon
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Yes, we are working on this.

If you look at the details of your link you will see that it is experimental. We prefer not to use experimental browser technology, but it looks like this will be possible soon in a non-experimental way.

When possible we will upgrade this feature to allow the browser to be closed and still receive alarms.
abirchall

Posted: Oct 22, 2013
Hmm doesn't seem to be working for me, in either Firefox (browser of choice) or IE.

I've tried this with the pop-up blocker enabled and disabled - same non-result.

I am using Firefox ESR 17.0.9.

Anybody got any hints as to how I can get this working?

Many thanks in advance....
Jake

Toodledo Founder
The first time it tries to make an alarm, your web browser will ask for permission to show you alarms. If you clicked "deny" then they will not work until you clear your cache. On the alarm setup page, does the "Test" link work to make a test popup alarm?
dosmandan

Score: 1 Reference
Hey, I really like this feature! I always have Toodledo open on the browser, so the way you have this is perfect. In case some people aren't aware, you can have Chrome open a set of tabs when it is run. Just make sure one of them is Toodledo and you won't have to remember.

Nice work.
coolexplorer

Posted: Oct 24, 2013
Checked out the new Chrome Alarm update. It works and is useful. Will be enhanced by a snooze function & if it can work on Start Date/Time too.
Axl.l

Posted: Oct 25, 2013
One suggestion: Make the alarm check box ticked by default!

I'm using the alarm function all the time as a tickler system, and it is easier if the check box is ticked by default.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 25, 2013
Axl.l, You can do this. Click "Settings" then "New Task Defaults" and pick a value for alarm.
sprouty76

Posted: Oct 29, 2013
Very nice - I remember asking for desktop notifications a few months ago and was shot down :)

It's still unclear how you're meant to set a reminder to be displayed by a 3rd party app - if you really want 3rd party apps to step up on Android, you need to treat them as 1st class citizens alongside your own iOS app.
ChristianDiscer

Alarms enhancement request - The ability to activate ONE specific alarm type from a task. The default would be to ALL, like it currently is.
Sylanel

Would there be any way to prevent automatic creation of alarms with aautomatic addition of Due Time when we only want to input a date for reference of our tasks or projects?

Also, there is a glitch with this automatic addition of Due Time according to the advisory on the Alarms page. It says that an alarm with Due Time of noon will be automatically added, yet all I got for all my tasks are Due Time of midnight. It is quite annoying to get multiple alarms at midnight all the time.

If the option to only have Due Date and no alarm is not possible, would it be possible to add an option to choose a default Due Time?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 30, 2013
Thanks for the suggestion. We will look into the noon/midnight issue. Please make sure that your timezone is set correctly in your account settings.
SES21

Posted: Jan 26, 2014
Posted by ChristianDiscer:
Alarms enhancement request - The ability to activate ONE specific alarm type from a task. The default would be to ALL, like it currently is.

+1 for thia request! I'd really love to have the option of selecting where alarms occur by task & a default alarm location setup for new tasks. For example, I would change many of my alarms to just this new browser popup but, for critical alarms, I'd also want them via SMS. Now, it's an all/everywhere or none.

Jake, do you think this is something that might be doable, especially now that we have so many choices for alarm locations? Thanks!
SES21

Posted: Jan 27, 2014
Posted by Sylanel:
Would there be any way to prevent automatic creation of alarms with aautomatic addition of Due Time when we only want to input a date for reference of our tasks or projects?

Also, there is a glitch with this automatic addition of Due Time according to the advisory on the Alarms page. It says that an alarm with Due Time of noon will be automatically added, yet all I got for all my tasks are Due Time of midnight. It is quite annoying to get multiple alarms at midnight all the time.

If the option to only have Due Date and no alarm is not possible, would it be possible to add an option to choose a default Due Time?

Are you getting your alarms from Toodledo or from, say, an Android app? If Android, many of them do not correctly implement the (invisible time 0) noon correctly & instead treat it as midnight! It is the app's fault for not handling the synced data correctly, not Toodledo. Ultimate To-Do List is the first of these that comes to mind. TaskUnifier on the desktop also did the same thing but I'm not sure if it's fixed in version 4 or not.
SES21

Posted: Mar 23, 2014
@Sylanel

That automatic alarm creation is either coming from your settings in Toodledo via Defaults or from whatever app you're using. TD doesn't create alarms on new tasks by default.

If I had to guess, you're using Ultimate To-Do List, which does not properly handle alarms that don't have a Due Time set. It doesn't appear that the developer plans to fix it either - since the problem has been there a long time!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.