ForumsNewsToodledo Android App

Toodledo Android App
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 27, 2014
Score: 0 Reference
One of our most frequent requests is for an official Android app for Toodledo. We are definitely late to the party and have struggled with this for some time.

The solution that we had been working on was to leverage our web expertise to develop an excellent mobile website that works offline in any web browser. We were then going to put this inside of a native Android app, making what's called a hybrid app. We were progressing on this path.

Then we became aware of an excellent native Android app named "MyToodle", developed by Phuah Yee Keat in his spare time. We started a conversation with him and worked out an agreement in which Toodledo will be acquiring and taking over full-time development of the project. He will remain on for a short time to help us transition the app. Meanwhile we will be redoubling our efforts to hire an Android developer to take over the project full time.

We have big plans for this app! Over the next months we'll be rebranding it and improving it's integration with Toodledo. Then we'll continue to add features to eventually bring it in parity with our iOS app. We encourage you to check out the app here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Toodledo

Please send us feedback and feature requests through these forums or our support tickets.

And a special thanks to Phuah Yee Keat for his excellent work over the last year to make this possible.

-Jake
rbendett

Score: 2 Reference
Great news. Congratulations!
Hartl

Great news!!
hedj

Fantastic news and looking forward to the developments.
Harold_R

That's really great news!

I've been looking for an Android app for a long time to use with Toodledo on my Nexus 7, but was never satisfied. Nothing really compared to the official iPhone app.

I'm really happy there is now an official app!
coolexplorer

Posted: Jan 28, 2014
Great Initiative! Looking forward to the addition of "Customizable Views" as in your web site and in "Ultimate Task List" Android App.
elenhil

Oh, my. Seeing that you choose one of the less... versatile apps out there, a feature request list would be very long indeed. But then, you probably had other considerations, too. So, speaking of features and versatility, you really should check the Ultimate To-Do List and Due Today. You might have not found them convenient/financially efficient to buy those, but their functionality is certainly top-notch.

This message was edited Jan 28, 2014.
sprouty76

Posted by Jake:
The solution that we had been working on was to leverage our web expertise to develop an excellent mobile website that works offline in any web browser. We were then going to put this inside of a native Android app, making what's called a hybrid app. We were progressing on this path.

So the native app that you've been telling us you were actively developing for some time now was in fact just the mobile site embedded inside an app?

Still, just given it a go and looks like a good starting point - but I need to be able to view by folder before I can actually use it seriously.

If you want feature requests / bugs to go in support tickets, is it worth adding a new section for them? It's not a 3rd party app but equally isn't the iOS app.

This message was edited Jan 28, 2014.
sprouty76

Just found the folder view - that should probably be on by default. But actually quite impressed with it. The artwork for tablets could do with being updated to match the artwork for phones (it still shows the old MyToodle icon on tablets).

It even does location-based reminders, which I wasn't expecting - although haven't actually tried them yet.
corbin

Great choice!

Over the years I have tried every single Android app for Toodledo and have finally settled on and been happy with MyToodle (now just Toodledo).

My biggest gripe with the app was the advertisements but I understood that Phuah wasn't able to provide a paid version because he is in a country where Google Play doesn't support paid apps. I'm glad to see them gone and I hope that Toodledo can find a developer and continue to improve the great start that Phuah has provided.
jastram

Score: 1 Reference
Thanks for doing this. I actually used the mobile web version quite a bit. Generally, I don't see why everybody is so crazy about apps, when a simple HTML5-Website will do.

However, the biggest drawback of a mobile website is the lack of integration, especially (in this case) the ability to convert a text selection into a task, using the share button. So I am looking forward to the app.
AA

Posted by jastram:
Thanks for doing this. I actually used the mobile web version quite a bit. Generally, I don't see why everybody is so crazy about apps, when a simple HTML5-Website will do.

Only if it works... Toodledo's mobile site did not work half the time for me on Nexus 7 over the recent weeks, claiming that I was offline when I was not (see another thread).

Anyway, this is great news. MyToodle, now Toodledo, looks pretty fine as it is right now. However, I'd welcome at least the following 2 improvements:

* Please, show task totals for all folders/views like the website (or Toodledo for iOS) does.

* Please, integrate tasks and notes into a single app (as in Toodledo for iOS). In a way, it can sometimes be advantageous to have tasks and notes as two separate apps, but overall, I'd say integration has more advantages than the other solution.

Thank you to Phuah Yee Keat and everyone else who made this happen.
Karlo_

Oh this is great news. this was the only reason why I couldn't get a paid subscription when I signed up almost 2 years ago.

I've only looked at TD again about 2 days ago (I'm really tired of that other app)

Thanks for making this happen, downloaded the app, will test asap
jeppsson.tobias

Posted: Jan 29, 2014
Wow, great news :D

I would love to see a function for updating and syncing lists. For example I use lists for shopping, blood pressure, weight tracking and so on... Would be awsome to update them with the app.
cj

I am ecstatic over this news. I've been dogged by the awful toodledo experience(s) on android ... until recently when someone in these forums recommended MyToodle. I found it to be the solution I was looking for (for 4 years!) ... sure, it can be improved - but now I finally have toodledo working, and useful, on my android phone(s). So glad toodledo is picking this up as an official app!
scottloane

Very, very exciting. I've been a Toodledo fan for years. I've flirted with other systems due to the lack of an Android App. I'm glad you all are finally making the jump.

Although I think the new app looks good so far, I echo the suggestion that you check out Ultimate To-Do list. That's was the most effective substitute I had found. It usually avoided the issue of duplicate task creation I kept running into, especially when I marked tasks completed on the NYC subway. Please remember us tunnel travels with spotty internet connections!

Very best wishes with the new acquisition.
edvroze

Does anyone know if it's possible to look at the equivalent of the "Lists" tab that is on the Toodledo website on the Android app?

Glad to hear about the acquisition...Congrats! I think it's a huge step forward in creating a workable Toodledo ecosystem for team environments!
sprouty76

Posted: Jan 30, 2014
Just a thought - you're obviously trying to bring in an Android dev to work on the app, but have you considered open sourcing it instead?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We are thinking about it, but would still need someone on staff to work on it full time.
pjlewis

Jake - just wanted to pass on my congratulations on the Android app. A lot of people in here will be very happy!

Nice one.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.