ForumsNewsUpdate: Sort Individual Lists Uniquely

Update: Sort Individual Lists Uniquely
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 10, 2014
Score: 0 Reference
Today we are releasing a small setting that should make some people very happy. It is now possible to save the sort criteria for individual lists instead of individual views. For example, you can now have each saved search sorted by it's own criteria instead of having all saved searches use the global sort setting.

To enable, go into your account settings and choose the "Behavior Preferences" option. Under this you'll want to enable "Save sort preferences on a per-list basis" and then press "Save".

Once you do this, you will be able to sort each list and Toodledo will remember the settings individually. If you prefer the current default behavior where each view (Main, Folder, Search, etc) has it's own global sort setting, then you don't need to do anything.
glparke

Posted: Apr 11, 2014
Awesome. thanks for this!
ykphuah

Great! Is the "Show" preference also in the todo list?
Purveyor

This makes a lot of sense in the Saved Searches.

And it is useful in Main view:
"All tasks" sorted Alphabetically, or perhaps by Date Added.
Hotlist sorted by Importance or Priority, along with something like Due Date, Start Date or Star.
Recently Added, Recently Modified, Recently Completed sorted by the corresponding field.

This message was edited Apr 11, 2014.
Salgud

Excellent! Thanks for doing this, it increases functionality greatly. Now I can see my many Saved Searches in particular in the relevant Sort order to make all of them clearer and easier to discern what I'm looking for.

This makes life with TD a bit better!

This message was edited Apr 11, 2014.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
ykphuah: The "Show" filters are still on a per-view basis.
Salgud

After looking at my TD setup since posting above, I feel I've validated the statement I made in an impassioned plea to Jake last June regarding this feature:

Jake, I would like to suggest that it's more than just optimizing clicks. I, and many other TD power users virtually live in Saved Searches, and frequently switch between them during the day. Dozens of times. And each time, we either have to think about how to reset the sort order and the filters, or, choose one setting that works "most of the time", which is what I and many others, I suspect, do. This is more than just clicks, it's sub-optimal use of the tool because of this limitation. I would get a much clearer and more accurate representation of my task list if I had each Saved Search sorted and filtered all the time to fit the purpose of that search.

So, to me at least, it is somewhat more than just optimizing clicks, it's about optimizing TD. Thanks for your understanding.

As an example of how deep this change is, just last week I decided that I wasn't really using the Priority field anymore, that I could manage priorities in my head. I wasn't using it in any of my 30 Saved Searches, so I removed it from my list of used fields. Now I have to rethink that decision! (Great timing, Jake! ;) and may decide to reintroduce Priorities to manage the Sort orders in my Saved Searches.

Now that I can optimize my sorts on a per view basis, the Priority field gives me another useful tool to manage that. I'm going to let these ideas percolate over the weekend before I make any rash decisions, but, at the very least, this "minor" change has forced me to consider a significant change, adding a field, to my TD strategy. Whatever I decide, this is a significant change in how many of us use and optimize TD.

Again, thanks for adding this long-requested and very useful feature! I look forward to having Filters saved in this way as well.
shelbyp

Posted: Apr 14, 2014
Thanks also for this feature, very helpful!

Just as a quick followup for Salgud's point, some critical missing features can change the way Toodledo is used. On this note I would really like to see at least partial IOS support for Outlines (and I know others would like lists).

I have moved many of my tasks to the outlines to simulate sub-sub tasks in the case where I do not have a hard due date.

Most of my tasks are now in outlines, since they are fast and powerful, however the fact that they are not available on IOS is forcing me to rethink this strategy... Essentially I can only keep non critical tasks in outlines, since I currently do not have offline access to them.
Shawn Elliott

Posted: Apr 17, 2014
Score: 1 Reference
Fantastic feature which makes creating views and reports for my own workflow and my supervisors much more efficient!
dannyw0011

Posted: Apr 17, 2014
Score: 1 Reference
Thank you! This was the biggest issue I had with Toodledo. This will make life much easier.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.