ForumsNewsUpdates to forums

Updates to forums
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 05, 2009
Score: 7 Reference
We have made a number of updates today to the forums.

1) There is now a "Mark all as read" link at the bottom of the forums to quickly mark all the topics as read.
2) Topics can now have icons to represent what type it is (question, feature request or bug). This helps identify topics.
3) A person's profile will now show if they are a Pro or Pro Plus subscriber.
4) It is now possible to rate individual posts with a thumbs-up or thumbs-down system. This will help identify useful posts and make it easier for people to find answers quickly. In the future, we may reward people who make a habit of providing helpful answers :)
Anders

Score: 0 Reference
Neato!
Anders

Can we get avatars at some point, maybe?
That and some search enhancements would make this a very slick forums page.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestion.
Vin Thomas

Score: 1 Reference
Awesome! Thanks!
kleerkoat

Posted: May 06, 2009
nice updates, the forum needed them.

we don't need avatars though, i don't want my boss popping in and seeing someone's attempt to be whitty with a retarded avatar.

keep it professional looking.
Anders

Posted: May 09, 2009
I think it would certainly be preferable to offensive language. I mean what's less professional than that?
Andrew

Posted: May 09, 2009
Yeah seriously, I am liking these forums that are built from scratch. I really don't care about post count or signatures, especially on Mac forums where all anyone puts there is what Macs they own. Things like that are just plain unnecessary.
Linden

Posted: May 11, 2009
Score: 2 Reference
I would like to add my voice to the "no avatar, no sig" movement.

Rating posts was a nice forum addition, because as more people participate in the ratings it becomes easier to separate truly useful/helpful points from random commentary.

Avatars and signatures, while occasionally fun, will take away from the professional and productive nature of these forums.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 2 Reference
We won't be adding signatures or avatars. We agree that they are distracting and not essential.
Anders

While I am saddened by Toodledo's anti-avatar stance, I can certainly live without it.
Here are some suggestions I believe would further improve the usefulness of the Forums:

a) Better search. If I am not mistaken, the current search does not even allow for "ANDing" search terms, and it is very difficult to find previous topics on a certain feature unless you use exactly the right wording for your search.

b) A way to get a link directly to a post. Currently you can do this from a search result, but because of "a" that is not always easy. It would be great if just by clicking somewhere on any post we could see its link.

C) More topics per page. I think this would help people to find common issues that stay somewhere near the top of the list, but maybe not the first page because there is a very limited number of topics on each page. I believe this would reduce the amount of repeat questions.

Obviously, in priority these fall way below improvements to the To Do list.

Thanks for the continual upgrades in all areas of Toodledo.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestions. We had A and C on our to-do list already, but I can see how B would be very helpful.
Anders

Posted: May 12, 2009
Another Forum request would be to be able to upload rather than only link images. I wanted to post a screenshot related to a post earlier, but couldn't think of a good place to upload the picture so I could link it.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 13, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion.
Proximo

Posted: May 18, 2009
I am the Global Team Moderator for a forum and have lots of experience using them. I think that the professional look Toodledo uses is smart.

Avatars work for some forums but they are not necessary for a professional forums such as this. This will only add more work on Toodledo's end and I rather them focus their energy on the product, not the forums.

This is something that has a good and bad side to it. By showing post count, you get a feeling of how long someone has been using Toodledo and how active they have been with the forums.

A Post count could be implemented here and probably work. Where I see issues with Post Count is when they start attaching some kind of title or rank if you will to the users with lots of post. That destroys many forums as the users become more interested in their post count, rather than the quality of their post.

Suggestion:

If we could show how long someone has been a member of the forums, this will give us a reference to their experience with using Toodledo, without the draw back of having post counts.

I think the search can also improve, but overall the forums are great in my opinion.
Allen

Posted: May 18, 2009
Score: 3 Reference
Posted by Proximo:
If we could show how long someone has been a member of the forums, this will give us a reference to their experience with using Toodledo, without the draw back of having post counts.

If you click on someone's name, you can see their subscription level, membership duration and post count. The information is there if you want it but not forced to you with every post.

Personally, I like that delivery.
Proximo

Posted: May 21, 2009
Posted by Allen:
Posted by Proximo:

If you click on someone's name, you can see their subscription level, membership duration and post count. The information is there if you want it but not forced to you with every post.

I learn something new everyday. Thanks Allen.

Personally, I like that delivery.
Qrystal

Posted: Jun 25, 2009
There is only one reason I wish there were avatars here: to quickly scan through a list of posts to see when I replied last, or to note when a conversation is bouncing back between two people.

The former I can handle easily enough with a browser search for my own name, which highlights all instances. The latter I can usually tell from context. So it's not a big deal, but in case you ever reconsider, here's an additional thought to tack onto the idea:

If avatars themselves tend to be too risqué, perhaps Gravatars would be a better choice: from what I've seen, these tend to be more mature and professional, because they are used in a variety of places. I think that you could also restrict displaying avatars if they are not rated for a general audience (I forget if they call it "PG" or "Everyone").
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.