ForumsNewsTwo big updates and 6 little ones

Two big updates and 6 little ones
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 02, 2009
Score: 6 Reference
Today, we are happy to announce the implementation of two of our most frequently requested suggestions.

1) Task Duplication / Task Templates / Cloning / etc.

It is now possible to duplicate/clone a task. This works for regular tasks as well as parent and subtasks. When you clone a task that has subtasks, it will duplicate everything and will give you a perfect copy of the original.

This is a great way to make templates for tasks that you need to create frequently. For example, if you have to do the same 15 tasks for each new project that you get, you could create a template task with these 15 subtasks and then make a copy of the parent task each time you start a new project.

To clone a task, hover your mouse over the checkbox. After a second, a popup menu will appear with a link to clone the task.

2) Adding a subtask directly to a task.

It is now possible to add a subtask directly to any task without using the slower drag-n-drop method. To add a subtask, hover your mouse over the subtask icon for a second. A popup menu will appear with the option to add a subtask.

If you are using Internet Explorer, the web browser may give you a security warning. This help topic explains how to prevent this.

A few other little updates

1) It is now possible to sort your list by parents/subtasks. Click on "Sort" in the toolbar near the top of your list and select this option. With this selected, parent tasks will be placed at the top of the list.

2) The current date/time is now listed at the bottom of the sidebar. If your date/time isn't accurate, you can click on it to set your timezone. (This was actually released a week ago, but we didn't post about it)

3) You can now attach a file when submitting a Support Ticket. This will help us more quickly help people with certain questions.

4) If you use keyboard shortcuts, the R key will now refresh the page.

5) Editing a saved search that consistes of only groups of rules will no longer insert the default rules at the top.

6) The simple HTML interface has been updated to support start date/time and status.

This message was edited Jun 02, 2009.
paulbelinda.vance

Score: 0 Reference
Thanks for implementing task duplication and templates.
Anders

FANTASTIC!!!
:)

Claudio

Posted by Toodledo:
To clone a task, hover your mouse over the checkbox. After a second, a popup menu will appear with a link to clone the task.
There's also an option to Delete the task, which means I don't have to go the far right of the screen. Nice!
Was this option available previously?
if you have to do the same 15 tasks for each new project that you get, you could create a template task with these 15 subtasks and then make a copy of the parent task each time you start a new project.
What's the best way of storing these templates so that they don't appear in any of the lists of active tasks, and yet are still easily retrieved when needed?
Anders

Posted by Claudio:
What's the best way of storing these templates so that they don't appear in any of the lists of active tasks, and yet are still easily retrieved when needed?

I use the "reference" status which is hidden by the deferred filter for stuff like this. If you can't find a good way to hide them, and don't like having the deferred filter on for some reason, you could always mark them as complete and use some identifying tag for easy retrieval.

~Anders
Claudio

Thanks Anders.
Well, I don't use "reference" for anything else so that could work. (Seems that "reference" would be better suited for stuff that should be transferred to the Notebook, but that function isn't available.)

Tagging completed tasks with "Template" could work, too, along with a Saved Search to retrieve those tasks.

Anyway, both "big" updates are a good idea, and I like the new sort option for parents/subtasks.
Anders

Posted by Anders:
you could always mark them as complete and use some identifying tag for easy retrieval.

Just wanted to mention that this would be a bad method if you want to have repeats set since completing would remove the repeat.

Thanks Toodledo. This is a really awesome update, and little update #1 is actually pretty big IMO.

~Anders

Vin Thomas

Great! Thanks a ton!

That renders my screencast virtually obselete now, but that's ok. I will have to make a new screencast for beginners TDers.

You're the pimp!
Anders

Posted by Vin Thomas:
That renders my screencast virtually obselete now, but that's ok. I will have to make a new screencast for beginners TDers.

I disagree. Your screencast is now almost like a lesson on an excellent use for little update #1, except now you don't have to use the stars. Still, I'd love to see another one.
cj

>There's also an option to Delete the task, which means I don't have to go the far right of the screen. Nice!

DITTO !!

Thanks for all this (and for mention of "reference" ... I didn't know this existed and personally find it very useful!)

Thanks!
Anders

Posted by Claudio:
There's also an option to Delete the task, which means I don't have to go the far right of the screen. Nice!
Was this option available previously?

This is also very cool, and I don't think it was there before. I guess Toodledo just forgot to mention it.

BTW, in case anyone is confused, the popup you get with the new "clone" command also has a delete option.

~Anders

garyo

One minor thing about task/subtask sorting: if you have "Show recently completed" turned on, your completed tasks with subtasks get bumped up to the top, even though they're completed (even if the task and all subtasks are completed).
garyo

Posted: Jun 03, 2009
One more minor thing, regarding the new popups (which are great btw): mousing off the popup to the right, top or bottom closes it as expected, but mousing off the left side doesn't close it. This happens on Firefox 3(winxp) and Safari (OSX). Additionally, if the task has an opened note, mousing off the right side of the popup (over the note) doesn't close the popup.
Anders

The new popups also don't work at all on Firefox 2.0.0.14 on Windows XP. I know it's an old version, but I find many computers still have FF2 intalled (like the ones where I work). Anyway, works fine on my personal computer with FF3, but I thought "mousing off" in any direction did not cause the popup to disappear, but I will have to check when I am back on that computer.

~Anders
lite1

Thanks so much this is great improvement.
SUGGESTION:
Change order of options when hovering over check box to ...
Delete task
Copy task
Click check box to mark task as done

To me this would save time and mouse movement. Still would love an account setting whereby one could opt-out of needing to confirm that you truly want to delete something; or if my mouse pointer automatically was positioned over the "OK" on the pop-up confirmation so that I could just double-click to delete (this mouse behavior happens in most of my other programs but not TD).

Sorry to be niggling, and I am truly grateful for the wonderful improvement to TD - the latter is the main point to make. Probably should not mix praise with my suggestions!!

SUGGESTION:
Consider referring to things as COPY not as CLONE. 20 years ago I used an outlining program that had both COPY, meaning an independent duplicate that once created could then start to change; a CLONE was a copy that could appear in a different part of the outline AND wherever the CLONE was any changes were instantly duplicated. One could have as many clones of the same thing as you wanted.
=======
I think that for me some of the unproductive posts in some threads are due to writers having different meanings for the word "project" or "project management"; some are using it in the sense that David Allen proposes and hence in TD any Parent Task that has a subtask is a project --- but others are using "project" to mean something in addition to that. I wish forum could have agreement on how terms are used as this would add clarity to what I find to be a wonderfully supportive and helpful group of people.
Edward

FINAL SUGGESTION
TD to toot its own horn ... In sidebar indicate "new News" or just "News 6.02.2009" so more people might check News and become aware of updates/improvements. While I might stumble upon some of them, the subtle changes or options might be missed by many. Keep up your excellent work and responsiveness to the community - you folks rock.

This message was edited Jun 03, 2009.
TheGriff_2

Not sure if this would be a popular request but I'd love to have the delete confirmation turned off if you choose to delete a task from the checkbox menu.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestions.
Tyler

These are really great improvements!

Congratulations to your team -- as a relatively new user of TD, I am very impressed with how quickly you introduce improvements to the application... I really feel I made the right choice by signing up with TD.

The ability to bump the parent tasks is particularly awesome, but also love ability to delete stuff from the pop-up (like many others here, I found the location of the trashcan on the right somewhat inconvenient).

PS I didn't know about the "simple HTML" view you mention above -- how does one access that normally? (I really like that view for its simplicity, and suspect it may be useful for exporting checklists into other formats, e.g. MS Word, etc.)
Tyler

Posted by TheGriff:
TD to toot its own horn ... In sidebar indicate "new News" or just "News 6.02.2009" so more people might check News and become aware of updates/improvements. While I might stumble upon some of them, the subtle changes or options might be missed by many. Keep up your excellent work and responsiveness to the community - you folks rock.

Would like to say that I agree with this -- a changelog or something like that would show how active the developers are in updating the product, which is really quite a selling point...

This message was edited Jun 03, 2009.
Claudio

For the "simple HTML", just use any browser to go to http://www.toodledo.com/html.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.