ForumsNewsImproved Backup/Restore capabilities

Improved Backup/Restore capabilities
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 16, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
We have now greatly improved the ability to backup and later restore your own data. We have done this via the "XML Export/Import" tool in our Import/Export/Sync section. An XML export file will now contain all of the information for your tasks and subtasks.

We have also improved the XML importer. It can now restore subtasks nested properly inside their parent tasks (Pro subscribers only). The XML importer has also been optimized to allow it to process much larger import files without running out of memory. The previous limit was 200 tasks per import, but we have now tested this up to 2000 tasks per import without problems.

Additionally, we have gotten the XML importer working better at importing tasks from Vitalist and Voo2do, if you want to migrate from those websites to Toodledo.

While we are taking every precaution to protect your data on our servers, if you are concerned about data loss, you can periodically download the XML backup file and save all of your data to your computer.
TheGriff_2

Score: 0 Reference
Thanks for the new stuff! My pie in the sky would be integration with Amazon S3 during a scheduled nightly backup. But for now this is great. ;-)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Yup, we're thinking about that.
TheGriff_2

Posted by Toodledo:
Yup, we're thinking about that.

Actually I just thought of a possible way using WGET. By any chance is there a way for me to pass my login credentials in a WGET command?

What I'd envision doing is a nightly WGET to my DropBOX folder which then also gets backed up to S3. I'd actually have three layers of backup, my laptop, DropBox and S3.

Maybe something could be added to the xml.php script to allow tokens for credentials (if they're not already there)?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
You'll need to find a way to pass the cookies through in order to sign into your account. Someone on these forums posted a link to an example that used CURL instead of WGET, but I can't find it now.
Claudio

Posted by Toodledo:
An XML export file will now contain all of the information for your tasks and subtasks.
Great! This provides additional peace of mind. One more reason to rely on Toodledo for essential data. (I've scheduled a weekly export.)

I downloaded the file and I see that subtasks are linked through the "parent" field.

Also, I noticed that the XML file has the "Timer" value for tasks that are currently being timed. Interesting. Not sure how to use this info (I rarely use Timers) but perhaps others will find it useful.
lite1

Thanks, as usual TD team is on top of things.
Edward
Linden

That's a whole bunch of requested features delivered in one quickly-implemented update. You're totally amazing!
Anders

Posted by Toodledo:
An XML export file will now contain all of the information for your tasks and subtasks.

We have also improved the XML importer. It can now restore subtasks nested properly inside their parent tasks (Pro subscribers only).

Awesome! My subtasks thank you :)
gothick

Excellent news. I was already doing my own scheduled backup, so it's nice to know the export will be more complete now. And as someone who imported hundreds of tasks in from a different system (and ran into the task limit), it's nice to know that it'll now cope if I ever have to use it again...
matt

How to get it with wget:

wget -O /dev/null --quiet --no-check-certificate --save-cookies cookies.txt --post-data '[email protected]&pass=xxxxxxxx' https://www.toodledo.com/signin.php

wget --quiet --load-cookies cookies.txt http://www.toodledo.com/xml.php

rm cookies.txt
TheGriff_2

Posted: Jun 17, 2009
Thanks Matt! You just let me check of a research task I'd created to do this.
jon

Posted: Jun 30, 2009
Any chance the Firefox add-on could mirror to SQLite?

http://gadgetopia.com/post/6639
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5817

I'm sure you see where I'm going with this. :)
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.