ForumsNewsCustomizable reminders/alarms

Customizable reminders/alarms
Acustk

Posted: Jun 17, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Is there a way to add the "Remind me" and lead time fields to the Multi-Edit page so that we can mass convert our existing tasks that have due times to use the new reminders? Rather than going in one-by-one to edit.

Thanks,

Les
Acustk

Okay, this is really picky and silly, but the alarm icon looks more like a raincloud to me. Maybe a slight tint of yellow would help keep me from thinking "gloom" when I see tasks with alarms.

Yes, overly picky, I know, and I'll be happy to get used to it if need be.

Thanks again for a great product and for adding the reminders feature! I will make great use of it.
lite1

Possibly off topic post that should be in Questions forum!

Just started using reminders for 1st time primarily to test out for friends that I am encouraging to try/buy TD pro as new users.

?s and suggestions:
1) First Hotlist reminder I rcvd as email to me would be more useful if ...
A)It included at the top my account settings for criteria of what gets on the Hotlist.
B) If "Star" status is also included as information.
C) If "due:" not only stated "tomorrow" but was written as "tomorrow, Thursday, June 16 {If I print out the email, or am looking at one that is a day or more old then the additional detail would make the information more accurate and clear}. If past due! showed the due date as well.
D) If folder info and tag info is included (perhaps the latter is already, but I don't use tag alot and none of my hotlist items have tag data). {Rationale - When I see an item, especially a subtask in the context of its Parent even if the subtask subject is written in a telegraphic manner then subtask can carry enough info to be clear. I'm not sure bec. of what made my Hotlist this morning whether subtasks are shown nested under parent?}
E) My Hotlist setting are at least Priority 2 and due within 7 days so was surprised to see my item:
pay for pro subscription of TD
Top Priority
Due: May 16, 2010
I assume that this yearly repeating task should not be showing up in the email given my account settings for Hotlist?

2) My email shows 6 items; but going to my Main View |Hotlist tab shows 10 items. I had not done any editing in TD since 8 last night and none before looking this morning. I do not understand the discrepancy. It seems to be from looking that email meets my account setting criteria at least priority 2 and due within 7 days whereas the online tab is showing items that meet one or the other, or both of my criteria. Namely a zero priority due on June 21 is NOT in email but is online in Hotlist tab. Now I understand why I have never found Hotlist of much personal value since perhaps it has a bug??

3) Like Anders and perhaps others, I often use "Star" to manually select various items from diverse folders so I can view them all together and perhaps act on them. I assume that it is NOT yet possible to get a daily email of the Main View | Star tab. If not yet possible, I'd find this as or perhaps more useful than the Hotlist email.

Sorry for being such a noob to reminders and also perhaps these ?s/suggestions should be thread in Questions forums. I often find it a judgment call whether to start a new thread or whether the post is still relevant to the present thread.

Thanks for any advice, Edward

Posted by lite1:
TD you might be interested to know that I have been talking with a friend who has been looking for task manager and considered RTM and TD. I definitely steered them away from RTM and toward TD. One of their first feature ?s was in terms of reminders. I do not use these personally, but said I'd research which I did a week ago. They will now be thrilled/convinced by the added options for reminders.

Keep up the good work - who knows I might even set a few of my tasks up with reminders, but generally find it to be overkill in my life. I usually can nail 99.6% of my hard deadlines and my super high priority date/time commitments without high tech "alarms", but I'm a bit old school in that regard.

Edward
Colin A

This is a really cool feature....but I'm on Voadafone in the UK and they don't have a email to sms gateway system running

I can use Vodafone for twitter updates - so I can add and retrieve via twitter...is there a way to use customisable reminders through twitter now (or planned)?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
I'll answer a bunch of questions here:

1) It is not possible to have a "when due" or "0 minute" leadtime because of the nature of how reminders are sent we cannot guarantee that they would arrive ontime. We can only guarantee 15 minute accuracy.

2) An optional task should still receive a reminder. If it didn't arrive, it may be because the due-time or timezone wasn't correct, or that the reminder was already in the past when you scheduled it. Or, maybe the reminder got blocked by your spam filter.

3) Thanks for the suggestion about adding the reminder to the "Multi-edit" options

4) The daily hotlist email is different from this reminder service. There may be a discrepancy in the hotlist emailed and the hotlist on the webiste due to your filters.
The Dave

Posted by Toodledo:
I'll answer a bunch of questions here:

1) It is not possible to have a "when due" or "0 minute" leadtime because of the nature of how reminders are sent we cannot guarantee that they would arrive ontime. We can only guarantee 15 minute accuracy.

FWIW, I don't care if the reminder is late, I'm just wanting to use this for tasks that can't be started until a certain time, but need to be done with enough urgency to bother me rather then just set a start time to hide the task...
garyo

Is it just me, or is it the case that if one doesn't have Due Time enabled one only gets options for reminders 1, 2, 3... days in advance, and not options for reminders xx minutes in advance? I'm fine with everything being due at noon, but I'd still like to get a reminder that morning without having to enable Due Time (ok, I guess that's not a huge deal in terms of real estate).
Martys To Do

This is a great additional feature.
thank you.
KatBoy

Posted: Jun 18, 2009
Great new feature....
Is is possible to 'view all tasks with reminders'? Sometimes they actually get done before they're due (not very often in my case) and can be cancelled. Also saves delivery charge. Thanks
Linden

Posted by lite1:

E) My Hotlist setting are at least Priority 2 and due within 7 days so was surprised to see my item:
Top Priority
I assume that this yearly repeating task should not be showing up in the email given my account settings for Hotlist?

I can't address much of your questions, but this is one I know!

The hotlist will show all tasks due in the next 7 days, and also any task with priority 2 or higher -- regardless of due date. So, if renewing your pro subscription was listed as priority 2, it would appear in the list.
lite1

Posted by Linden:
Posted by lite1:

Top Priority

Thanks Linden. I started a thread in Questions forum. Since I can't edit my prior post in this thread I realize that the Hotlist query is an OR query. You are totally correct that my "pro renewal payment item with priority 3" should show up even though not due for 11 months.
Edward
I can't address much of your questions, but this is one I know!

The hotlist will show all tasks due in the next 7 days, and also any task with priority 2 or higher -- regardless of due date. So, if renewing your pro subscription was listed as priority 2, it would appear in the list.
Proximo

Score: 1 Reference
This is great. I would like the ability to set a reminder for a task without using a due date. More like a Tickler setting.

Some of my task don't have specific due dates, but I want to be reminded/Tickled about it at a certain time frame.

Just a though.
Vin Thomas

I agree with proximo. I would be nice to be able to set a reminder without having to use both due date and due time.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Without a due-date, how would Toodledo know when to send the reminder?
Vin Thomas

Score: 1 Reference
Like Proximo said, it would be nice to set it manually. Not necessarily a due date, but a reminder date.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Ok, I see.
Claudio

What is the "it" that you are setting?
Do you want a reminder date or a reminder time?
What do you mean by "manually"?
rachelpatel77

Posted: Jun 22, 2009
Can someone help- I used to get SMS messages when I set due date and times on Toodledo iphone. Now I don't get them anymore? I recently changed my phone number so I thought that was it. But I went and looked at the configuration and it has my correct phone number to send the texts to, but I don't get them. I do get them if I check the box for a reminder when I'm using the web version. Any ideas?
Anders

Posted by rachelpatel77:
Can someone help- I used to get SMS messages when I set due date and times on Toodledo iphone. Now I don't get them anymore?

Toodledo's recent change to reminders means that you have to individually set reminders in addition to due dates/times. Toodledo said that the old reminder system would remain active for those using it until they set up the new system. I am guessing that when you updated your phone number, you may have activated the new system. Unfortunately, there is no way to set individual reminders in the current iPhone app version, but I am sure it will be in a forthcoming update, if not in the one that is already under review. For now, you will have to set all reminders from the website.

~Anders
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Anders is correct. Until Apple approves our update, alarms can only be set from the website. If you have switched over to the new reminder system, then you'll need to click the checkbox in the due-date calendar popup to set a reminder.

If you are doing that, then please confirm that your new phone will receive an SMS when you manually send an email to the address that you have typed into the SMS reminder box on our setup page.

Hope that helps.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.