ForumsNewsCustomizable reminders/alarms

Customizable reminders/alarms
DavidSzp

Posted: Jun 24, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Awesome news on the new reminder service! However, I'd like to request some keyboard shortcuts for the reminders if they don't already exist. However, I'd rather not add them to the tab-list, it already takes two Tabs to get past each date/time popup (which is fine) and adding two more would make it unmanageable (for checkbox and reminder timeframe).

Instead, what about an accelerator key? Maybe pressing Ctrl+R when in the date/time field would toggle the box and something else would make the reminder time active? Not sure what's best, I'd just rather only be able to activate the two with the keyboard when I wanted to (since I actually use reminders rarely...or anticipate using them rarely at least, that could change :-) Just using a particular letter key won't work since typing in the date and time fields is freeform. I could see pressing Ctrl once to "tab" to the checkbox and again to get to the time setting...or Ctrl toggles the checkbox and automatically moves cursor to the reminder time field? Ctrl again would un-check the box and move back to date or time field. Just brainstorming :-) I'm not sure what keys you can capture with JavaScript anyway, maybe that's limiting.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 24, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion.
jeremy

Posted: Jun 27, 2009
What about a default setting: if it's got a due time, then I want a reminder! I'm using Toodledo a LOT less now because I can't set it to remind me to do things (EDIT: from anywhere but my computer, and doing it there is tedious because I have to do it manually for every task, vice doing them in batches). If there were some kind of universal setting (remind me XX minutes before the due time, and possibly another option to remind me every day at noon for tasks that just have a date), then we wouldn't have to wait for Apple.

Frankly, due times without reminders aren't very useful, unless you're checking the site all the time.

This message was edited Jun 27, 2009.
Vin Thomas

Posted by jeremy:
What about a default setting: if it's got a due time, then I want a reminder!.

I agree, this would be VERY helpful and save me the hassle of using my mouse. I love to enter tasks quickly using the tab button. Anything I set a due time for usually warrants a reminder. I think it would be a good feature to have!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestion.
zpkat

Posted: Jun 28, 2009
Posted by Vin Thomas:
[quote]Posted by jeremy:
[quote]What about a default setting: if it's got a due time, then I want a reminder!.[/quote]

Hi - Usually hate those "plus one" messages, but have to agree. No reminder for a time-bound task is the exception for me. So would be nice if the reminder is always set unless I specifically tell it to not remind.

LOVE Toodledo!
gui

Posted: Jun 28, 2009
Wow! Nice but I hope the iPhone can set them soon. I use it more than I use the web app.
RTM introduced their push reminders but they are quite inconsistent. You receive one or two and then you do not receive thek any longer.
jupshaw

Posted: Jun 29, 2009
Posted by Toodledo:
Today we are releasing an enhanced reminder service.

1) It is now possible to select which tasks will send reminders.
2) It is now possible to customize the leadtime for each reminder from 15 minutes to 7 days ahead of time. You can pick a different leadtime for each task. (Pro subscribers only)
3) Emailed reminders will now contain all the pertinent information about the task (folder, priority, note, etc..) so you won't need to visit the website to see the details.
4) Reminders can be sent via email and SMS, with more options coming soon.

This new reminder system is much more powerful than our old system. If you were using our old system (which sent a short non-configurable reminder 1-5 hours before every tasks), this will continue to work until you manually convert over to using the new system.

Reminder Configuration Page

Once you have setup an address at which to receive reminders (using the link above), you can set reminders by clicking the checkbox above the calendar when setting a due-date and time.

If a task has a due date but no due time, any reminders set for that task will use 12:00 noon to calculate the time to send the reminder.

So are these reminders part of the push notification? For example, on my computer at work if I set a new task and have the reminder set for 8pm, when I'm at home, will it pop up on my iphone?

I'm sorry to ask such basic questions, but I'm not completely sure how Toodledo works...Does it sync 24/7 with outlook without me having to do anything after I initially sync it?

Push notifications of task alerts would be great!
Anders

Score: 1 Reference
Push notifications are not supported by the Toodledo iPhone app yet, but they are currently being beta-tested.

The Outlook sync tool does not support Toodledo reminders yet, but the developer has expressed interest in working with them when it is possible. Here is a thread on that topic: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/8/2296/0/outlook-sync-tool-and-due-time.html

As for how often the Outlook sync tool syncs, that depends on your synchronization interval settings. More info is here: http://www.chromadrake.com/ChromaticDragon/software/ToodledoSyncInfo.aspx
darenlam

i add tasks to toodledo via email. i used to put in the time in the subject area #today =3pm and i would automatically get reminders around 2pm. now with the new reminder system, how do i email tasks to myself and set a reminder time? this would be huge if it could be integrated. maybe #today =3pm ~15m or something like that
Anders

You can't add reminders through email right now, but Toodledo has said they plan to add that capability in the future. See this thread: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/2286/-11451/reminders-in-sms-set-via-email.html
jupshaw

Posted by Anders:
Push notifications are not supported by the Toodledo iPhone app yet, but they are currently being beta-tested.

The Outlook sync tool does not support Toodledo reminders yet, but the developer has expressed interest in working with them when it is possible. Here is a thread on that topic: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/8/2296/0/outlook-sync-tool-and-due-time.html

As for how often the Outlook sync tool syncs, that depends on your synchronization interval settings. More info is here: http://www.chromadrake.com/ChromaticDragon/software/ToodledoSyncInfo.aspx

Thank you, Anders!
Sébastien

Posted: Jul 01, 2009
Posted by Anders:
Toodledo said that the old reminder system would remain active for those using it until they set up the new system.

Hi,
how activate the new system? Reminder are not working here :(.
Anders

Go to this page: http://www.toodledo.com/connect_remind.php
Enter your email or email to SMS address, and click Save Changes. Then when you set (or edit) the Due Date of the task for which you want a reminder, check off the "Remind Me" box, and select an approximate lead time for the notification.
sventhebrit

Hi,

Been trying out the reminder functions and receiving reminder emails to my email inbox on my iPhone -- it has been working very well.

I have a suggestion for an improvement which could be a useful option for the iPhone users. When an email comes in, have a hotlink in the email - when you click it, it opens up the Toodledo and takes you directly to the task.

The process for doing this is documented at this URL (this explains how to open the app - not sure about going to the exact task) ... http://iphonedevelopertips.com/cocoa/launching-your-own-application-via-a-custom-url-scheme.html

I realise that push notifications are coming and whilst they are great at alerting you, I do find that if another push notification comes in it overwrites the previous one -- so you could miss a notification. Having the link embedded in the email would make the reminder emails more useful -- if you have an iPhone.

Comments anyone ?
Steve
Anders

I really like the idea. Push notifications will be great, but you are correct about the problem with getting a second one before seeing the first. Tapping the notification can take you to the specific task, so it seems like it should be doable for emails or even SMS reminders. It would of course have to be an optional setting since people without an iPod/iPhone would probably not want a useless link in their reminders.
Sébastien

Posted by Anders:
Go to this page: http://www.toodledo.com/connect_remind.php
Enter your email or email to SMS address, and click Save Changes. Then when you set (or edit) the Due Date of the task for which you want a reminder, check off the "Remind Me" box, and select an approximate lead time for the notification.

Already done many times :(
Anders

Are you using email or SMS? Getting the correct email to SMS address for your phone can be tricky, and is a common problem for people using SMS reminders. If you are using email, make sure to check your spam filter. Whichever one you are using, you might try setting up the other type of reminders to see if they work.
Sébastien

Posted: Jul 02, 2009
Posted by Anders:
Are you using email or SMS? Getting the correct email to SMS address for your phone can be tricky, and is a common problem for people using SMS reminders. If you are using email, make sure to check your spam filter. Whichever one you are using, you might try setting up the other type of reminders to see if they work.

Email only, and nothing in spam (no problem with day by day reminder).
Anders

Posted: Jul 02, 2009
Posted by sdouche:
Email only, and nothing in spam (no problem with day by day reminder).

That is perplexing. The daily hotlist email is sent to your login email address, but the notifications are sent to whatever address you enter on this page: http://www.toodledo.com/connect_remind.php
I would double check that you have correctly typed the address in there. Honestly, I can't think of anything else. If you have another email you can use, you could set up reminders to be sent to it as well. That way if it works, you will know it is something wrong with the way you entered the address, or with the email system you are using, and if it still doesn't work, I would enter an official support ticket here: http://www.toodledo.com/info/ticket.php
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.