ForumsNewsAnother power outage, again

Another power outage, again
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 29, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
So, Rackspace (our service provider) has had another power outage (their third one in 2 weeks if you are counting). This one caused about 20 minutes of downtime. Everything is back up and running without data loss.

I just want everyone to know that I am actively working on a migration plan to get away from these problems. Migrating everything to a new location is a very complex process that cannot be completed over night, or even over a few weeks. It involves a lot of coordination, work and testing, but I am working on it very hard. I hate to see these problems more than anyone. Believe me.
Adam Lyons

My advice, make sure your SLA's are clearly stated in your new hosting contract and there are financial penalties for the hosting company for not meeting them. With today's technology, 99.9% uptime is not unreasonable. It's a real bummer that these guys have made your site look bad more than once. Good luck!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Maybe it was longer than 20 minutes. I am still learning more about this.

Here is rackspace's twitter page: http://twitter.com/rackspace
Vin Thomas

I'd hate to see this tarnish the Toodledo name. I would hope this would either get this straightened out with Rackspace or see you move to another host. Luckily this outage was short. But with any more like the BIG one a few weeks back I would imagine people would go elsewhere.

Glad to be back up and running!

This message was edited Jun 29, 2009.
Anders

I am just glad that Toodledo explained their multi-level backup process after the first outage. It makes me feel a lot less worried about what could happen when this sort of thing occurs. I also agree with Vin, Toodledo has to find a new company that provides the same sort of excellent service that Toodledo is known for. It is a shame to let an outside entity tarnish this great website's reputation.
Mike B

I'm a new customer and I did try connecting during the outage this afternoon, but I also understand these things happen. The explanations posted here in the News forum are greatly appreciated and assure me that I made a good decision purchasing a Pro Plus subscription.
Scott

A bad string from the usually rock solid Rackspace. So many apps host with them that one can almost feel a tremor in the Internet when they have an outage.

SB
Jake

Toodledo Founder
It appears like it was more like 1 hour of downtime. I was on my lunch break, so I missed most of it. There wouldn't have been anything that I could have done except pull my hair out if I had been in the office. Rackspace hasn't given me any more information yet, but I gather from Twitter buzz that this was a MUCH more widespread outage than the last one that we had. The previous power outages only affected a few dozen websites, but this one seems to have affected hundreds or thousands. Even Justin Timberlake was complaining on Twitter.

We'll get to the bottom of this.
Proximo

Posted: Jun 30, 2009
Posted by Toodledo:
It appears like it was more like 1 hour of downtime. I was on my lunch break, so I missed most of it. There wouldn't have been anything that I could have done except pull my hair out if I had been in the office. Rackspace hasn't given me any more information yet, but I gather from Twitter buzz that this was a MUCH more widespread outage than the last one that we had. The previous power outages only affected a few dozen websites, but this one seems to have affected hundreds or thousands. Even Justin Timberlake was complaining on Twitter.

We'll get to the bottom of this.

You actually take lunch? Wow, what's next, you will tell us that you sleep too? :-)

Just kidding. I did experience the outage when it happened as many probably did, but in the end. Toodledo is up and running with no data lost. Everything is Golden.
Linden

Posted: Jul 01, 2009
I was away for a week, so missed all of these outages. Sorry to hear about these problems you've been experiencing, but I'm happy to see that it hasn't caused you any of the same sort of headaches as The Big One.
ThinkingSerious

I love Toodledo! It's a fantastic service (I have the Pro account)

One thing that would greatly help in these situations is Google Gears (and/or Adobe Air) support. Also, in the case when something happens to our local Internet connection.
Vin Thomas

There is an Adobe Air app that someone put together. You could find it in the forums (or wait until Anders looks it up). But it doesn't allow you to have offline access.

It sure would be nice to have some sort of offline access though!
Anders

Posted by Vin Thomas:
There is an Adobe Air app that someone put together. You could find it in the forums (or wait until Anders looks it up). But it doesn't allow you to have offline access.

There are actually a few AIR apps. This one adds tasks with the email syntax: http://www.jga23.com/2009/02/17/toodledo-020/
There are a couple mentioned in this thread that are basically just windows for the website to open in without a browser: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/7/356/0/toodledo-air-app.html
But Vin is right. Neither one gives you offline access to your tasks. iPhone apps, and the Outlook sync tool are the only current ways to do that. A lot of people have been asking for Gears integration, and it would certainly be cool, but would also be a major project.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.