ForumsNewsToodledo's iPhone app has been updated.

Toodledo's iPhone app has been updated.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 02, 2009
Score: 2 Reference
We are very happy that Apple has approved the most recently update to our iPhone App. The biggest thing that this update brings is alarms/reminders, using Apple's Push Network for remote notifications. This means that you can get an audible alarm when a task is due. Toodledo will also update your application badge several times a day so you know how many tasks are remaining. Here is the full list of changes.

Additions:
+ Uses Apple's Push Network to update the application badge and receive remote notifications when a task is due, even when the app isn't running.
+ Adding a task now uses a new method that is much quicker and provides more room to type.
+ Added several sort options (priority+duedate, duedate+priority, folder+importance, folder+duedate, star, subtasks).
+ Notes will now detect URLs and phone numbers and allow them to be clicked.
+ Supports cut/copy/paste.
+ Added a start-time field.
+ There is now a new "Start Page" option that will remember the page you were on when you last quit and restore you to that page when you relaunch the app.
+ Editing tasks will no longer uses the cumbersome scroll wheels in many cases.
+ Cleaned up various sections of the app to be more intuitive.
+ Completing a repeating task will now do an instant sync to Toodledo.com to reschedule that task.
+ Now, gives an error message when a sync is attempted without network connection.
+ Added general setting for font size
+ Editing the title and tag fields now use a multi-line text box, so you can see more of what you are editing.

Bug Fixes:
+ Compatibility updates for iPhone 3.0
+ Auto-sync has been improved. It will no longer create duplicate tasks if the sync is interrupted.
+ Editing the note, tag or title now updates the modification time for the task.
+ Fixed bug with due-dates on website and iPhone not matching because of timezones and daylight savings issues.
+ Fixed bug with sorting by due-date and due-time.
+ Fixed bug where clearing a date was not clearing the "optional" flag.
+ If you have more than 999 tasks in a folder, the folder badge will correctly display the full number of tasks inside.
+ Long task names no longer get truncated when viewing the details page.

This message was edited Jul 02, 2009.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 0 Reference
Here is the help topic that explains how to setup push alarms.
http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=85
PetrV

Thanks for the update!

I am using number of tasks in the hotlist as my badge number. Will the badge be updated with push when the number of tasks in my hotlist changes, for whatever reason? E.g., when I enter a new task or change priority of an existing task using the web Toodledo interface?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 2 Reference
The badge number will be updated every 4 hours, and any time that you get an alarm for a task that is due.
Anders

I don't believe it updates after every change, but it does update several times a day even if the app is not opened, and will reflect changes made on the website.
RC-DC

Love the update. Especially the new task-editing and adding feature. Lots of useful stuff. Well done!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
If you like this update, please remember to rate our app in the iTunes App Stor. Even if you have already rated our app, Apple tracks ratings on a per-version basis, so you can rate us again.

Thanks
replytoken

Hi Jake and Anders,

Will the new version work with the old iPod Touch OS? I realize that the 3.0 features cannot be enabled, but should we upgrade or stick with the last version of Toodledo?

--Ken
spif

"iPhone" isn't showing up as a reminder destination yet, at least for me.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
The new app requires iPhone 3.0. We thought it would be backwards compatible, but apparently this isn't possible with the 3.0 stuff that we added.

As for "iPhone" not showing up, this is probably because you have not yet enabled remote notifications on the iPhone yet. Try this help topic.
Anders

Posted by replytoken:
Will the new version work with the old iPod Touch OS? I realize that the 3.0 features cannot be enabled, but should we upgrade or stick with the last version of Toodledo?

You probably already know this, but you can update your iPod to OS 3.0. You just have to pay $10 for it, and because of that you won't be automatically updated like iPhone people who get it for free. I have a 1st gen. iPod, and IMO, it is totally worth that price simply for cut&paste, and the rest (push notifications, etc.) is all just icing on the cake.

spif

I have remote notifications enabled - notifications show up as On in the iPhone settings, and in the Notifications subsettings for Toodledo the Sounds, Alerts and Badges notifications are all On. I've tried logging out of the web interface and logging back in. I've tried turning Notifications off and then on and then logging out and back into the web interface again. Synchronization was already turned on before I upgraded and I don't see anything in the application itself about "remote notifications". Do I have to disable and re-enable synchronization?
replytoken

Posted by Anders:

"You probably already know this, but you can update your iPod to OS 3.0. You just have to pay $10 for it, and because of that you won't be automatically updated like iPhone people who get it for free. I have a 1st gen. iPod, and IMO, it is totally worth that price simply for cut&paste, and the rest (push notifications, etc.) is all just icing on the cake."

I do plan on upgrading, although I am not happy that Apple is charging iPod Touch customers for the upgrade, but I wanted to first make sure that there were no major issues with 3.0. I do not need to be on the "bleeding edge" of technology.

--Ken

Anders

@spif
Once notifications are turned on in the iPhone for the Toodledo app, and you sync the app with the website, you should have the option to select "iPhone" for reminders on this page: http://www.toodledo.com/connect_remind.php
If you have done that, and the "iPhone" option is not available on that page, your best bet may be to uninstall an reinstall the app. I really can't think of anything else.

Anders

Ken, I agree with you completely. I couldn't believe Apple was that cheap when I first heard they were charging for iPod updates.
replytoken

Posted by Anders:
Ken, I agree with you completely. I couldn't believe Apple was that cheap when I first heard they were charging for iPod updates.

Believe it or not, I was told it has to do with bookkeeping. I use Adobe Lightroom, and was told that because they did not release this product under the same revenue model(?) as some of their other programs, they would be able to relase more incremental upgrades during their fiscal years. It looks like the OS for the iPod Touch is under the "other model". Par for the course with Apple in my book.

--Ken
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Spif, try going into the iPhone app and doing a sync. Then check the "reminders" section of this website and you should see the "iphone" option.
joe

I am using the iphone app and love the new changes. Not just the notification. It did take me quite a while to figure out the reminder option, and i'm still not sure I have it right. As a regular subscriber, is my only option to get the reminder push notification 1 hour before? Is it based on the start time or the due time? (I'm guessing due time). Can all future tasks have the reminder set to 1 hour (on). Is there an easy way to do all my existing tasks?

Thanks in advance.
- Joe
Ejhockman

I think you have to be a pro subscriber to get other reminder options other than 1 hour. The 1 hour reminder is a reminder for 1 hour prior to your task.

My question is, Has anyone figured out how to get "sound" with the push notification. I get the window, but no sound and I have double checked all volume options.

Also, I'm getting notified around 56 or 58 minutes in advance of the task, according to my iphone clock. It's not 1 hour on the dot.
Anders

Posted by Ejhockman:
I think you have to be a pro subscriber to get other reminder options other than 1 hour.

That is correct. Pro subscribers can choose from 15, 30, 45 min, 1, 1.5, 2, 3, 4 hrs., 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7 days.

My question is, Has anyone figured out how to get "sound" with the push notification. I get the window, but no sound and I have double checked all volume options.

I use a 1st gen. iPod, so I have no sound at all, but I have heard others say that the notification sound is somewhat quiet. Toodledo has said that they plan to add more options to configure that in the future.

Also, I'm getting notified around 56 or 58 minutes in advance of the task, according to my iphone clock. It's not 1 hour on the dot.

Yes the reminder times are not exact. Toodledo says they are within 15 min. of the lead time you set, but it seems to be much closer than that. I always get my 15 min. reminders 19 min. ahead of the task for instance.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.