ForumsNewsToodledo's iPhone app has been updated.

Toodledo's iPhone app has been updated.
PetrV

Posted: Jul 03, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Posted by Toodledo:
The badge number will be updated every 4 hours, and any time that you get an alarm for a task that is due.

I am using number of tasks in the hotlist as my badge number. It seems not to be working. I have checked setup, looks ok. Testing it again and again :-(

Now the website shows hotlist tasks : 40
iPhone shows hotlist tasks : 39

Even waiting over nigth, the badge has not changed.

Could you help?
J

Posted by Toodledo:
A lot of people are having difficulty and confusion with getting remote notifications to work. It does take a minute to setup, and our initial instructions were unclear, so I apologize for that.

This help topic explains how to do it in detail, but I'll summarize here.

1) You need Toodledo version 1.5.
2) You need to setup synchronization between the iPhone and Toodledo.com.
3) You need to click "Allow" when the iPhone asks you about remote notifications. If it doesn't ask you, close and re-open the app on the iPhone. If it still doesn't ask you, go into Apple's general "Settings" app and make sure that Notifications are enabled.
4) Go to the reminders page here on Toodledo and make sure that "iPhone" is in one of your reminder slots.
5) Give a task a due-date, a due-time and click the "remind me" checkbox. Make sure that the reminder is scheduled for a future time.
6) Wait for your iPhone to beep.

I promise that it does work, it just takes a little understanding and a little setup.

Bug #1: I never get asked to allow notifications. I have even deleted the app from the iPhone and redownloaded it from the iPhone App Store. I went through setup on the newly downloaded app, and it never asked me about allowing notifications. I have confirmed that Notifications are turned on in iPhone settings, and that ToodleDo's iPhone Settings Notification settings are all on (Sounds, Alerts, Badges). The notifications themselves work in part: I get an onscreen pop-up & sound, but my badge never updates.

Bug #2: When I start the App and it performs the sync upon startup, the on-screen task list display is not updated. For example, I have the "wherever I was last time" setting selected and am viewing the HotList. Let's say I have 14 items showing. I exit the app. I go to ToodleDo on the web and add a task for today, which should put it on the HotList. I go into ToodleDo on the iPhone. The startup sync is performed but the newly added task is not displayed. If I exit the app and restart it, the task appears. If I then exit the app, delete the task on the web, and go into the app, it is still listed after the sync completes. I have to exit the app and go back in, at which point the deleted task is no longer on the list.

Pro Subscription, iPhone 3G S.

This message was edited Jul 03, 2009.
Bruno

Hi

I got a bug to report and dont know where else I have to write it. Here my set up

I have the iPhone and my Toodledo Account set up to sync. In my Toodledo Account I have changed the date settings to "03/07/2009 12:20". Meaning that 20 past midday is shown as 12:20 and 2pm is shown as 14:00. This has a reason, I live in Switzerland and thats how we do the time ;-) Anyway, so that all works very well but now when I set a Task on my iPhone to be Due on 12:00 (midday), after syncronising it with my Toodledo Account it all changes to 00:00 (midnight). This is only with Due Times between 12:00 and 12:55. If I set up a Task at 13:00 (1pm) or 11:00(11am) there is no problem at all and the sync functions perfectly.

So my workaround is to choose times until 11:55 and from 13:00 but no times at noon. Its clearly a bug for me, but I can live with it. Just wanted to let you know so you might can fix it someday.

thanks
Bruno
Anders

Posted by J:

Bug #1: I never get asked to allow notifications. I have even deleted the app from the iPhone and redownloaded it from the iPhone App Store.
The notifications themselves work in part: I get an onscreen pop-up & sound, but my badge never updates.

The badge should update every four hours, and whenever you receive a notification. It is working for me. I don't know why it isn't for you, but I am running the beta of the next version, so perhaps that is the difference.

Bug #2: When I start the App and it performs the sync upon startup, the on-screen task list display is not updated.

When you sync, it will not update the screen you are currently looking at, but you do not have to close and reopen the app. You can just go up to the menu, and back into the list you were looking at to refresh the data there.
Anders

Posted by bruno:
I got a bug to report and dont know where else I have to write it.

For bug reports, the best places are the Questions forum , or a support ticket

Anyway, so that all works very well but now when I set a Task on my iPhone to be Due on 12:00 (midday), after syncronising it with my Toodledo Account it all changes to 00:00 (midnight). This is only with Due Times between 12:00 and 12:55.

I cannot reproduce this. When I set a task due at 12:00pm or 12:30pm, it syncs to the website as due at 12:00 (midday) or 12:30. Are you sure that your timezone settings are correct?

Anders

Bruno, I just had a thought. Make sure you are setting tasks due during the noon hour for PM, as in 12:30pm. It may be obvious, but I am not sure. For someone used to 24 hour time, it may be confusing that 12 noon is PM, and 12 midnight is AM.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
If you are having a specific problem with syncing or remote notifications, please open a support ticket, since it is difficult to keep track of the multiple conversations happening at once here.

J: If you are geting the onscreen pop-up and sound, then you have it setup correctly. Congratulations. If the badge isn't updating, you probably haven't selected one. Go into Toodledo>Settings>Application Badge. Whent he sync finishes, you need to refresh the list that you are on to see the changes. It would be jarring if it just flashed and updated. To update the list, just back out and back into that list, or resort it.

Bruno: I'll check on this bug, but it might be because you are setting noon as 12:00am, as Anders pointed out. Noon is 12:00pm. Midnight is 12:00am.
J

Posted by Toodledo:
J: If you are geting the onscreen pop-up and sound, then you have it setup correctly. Congratulations. If the badge isn't updating, you probably haven't selected one. Go into Toodledo>Settings>Application Badge.

I've got the badge count set to Hotlist count, but it has never updated except upon exiting from the app. I'll open a ticket if the next update doesn't fix it.

Posted by Toodledo:
When the sync finishes, you need to refresh the list that you are on to see the changes. It would be jarring if it just flashed and updated. To update the list, just back out and back into that list, or resort it.

Is that a change in behavior? I thought the previous version would update the list after the sync. I really liked that behavior, and it's what I would intuit - that the screen would always reflect the apps current data.

Anders

Posted by J:
Is that a change in behavior? I thought the previous version would update the list after the sync. I really liked that behavior, and it's what I would intuit - that the screen would always reflect the apps current data.

I'm fairly certain it has always worked this way. In fact, it is the way all the similar apps I can think of work too.
Rob

Hi everyone,

I just upgraded to the pro-Account to use subtask. Its quite easy to use subtask with the webinterface but somehow the iPhone app doesn't feel so good using subtasks.

Are there any plans to the beahviour on the iPhone?

What I would like would be following:
- Assign a subtask/a task to another task (choose from a list which shows all tasks where you can add the selected one)
- Havin an "all-time-visible"-Button (like "new task" to toggle subtaks (like in the webinterface).
- an Option to show the subtaks directly after clicking on the parent task- right now you have to scroll down the task-details-list to click on the subtaskbutton - I'd like to go directly there
Jake

Toodledo Founder
I just tested out refreshing the list when the sync finishes, and it wasn't that bad, so I'll get that into the next update.

As for the improvements to subtasks, yes there are a few actions that are not possible on the iPhone, like moving subtasks around to other parents. We plan to make improvements in future updates.
J

Posted by Toodledo:
I just tested out refreshing the list when the sync finishes, and it wasn't that bad, so I'll get that into the next update.

Excellent. BTW, I really like the new version. Adding tasks is much improved, and the new date picker is a huge improvement. Keep up the good work!
Anders

Posted: Jul 04, 2009
The Toodledo app is in the top ten productivity apps in the AppStore. Way to go :)
KatBoy

Posted by BoyOhBoy:
I'm getting the same thing on the updated app - when loaded the "sundial" appears for several seconds and it's not possible to edit tasks, message says wait until the sync is complete.

I thought it was performing an actual sync (but tested and it's not) but the new app is doing something when first loaded. I have mine set to manual sync so it's not clear what it's doing but it is very annoying - my O2 network can be very slow which is why I prefer to do things manually in my own time.

Sorry to bump this - what's happening when the app loads? It's slowing me down. Thanks
KatBoy

BTW - great news about Top 10 listing. I've been recommending TD to everyone who will listen....
Anders

Hmm, I just tried to see what happens when I turn off automatic syncing, and the sundial does indeed still come up. For me it is literally like a quarter of a second, but I am on a pretty fast Wifi network. I don't know why the app appears to be connecting like that. Hopefully Toodledo can clear it up.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
The 1 second freeze when the app launches is because of the remote notifications. The app needs to talk to Apple's servers and then to our servers to authenticate everything. In the next update, which we are testing right now, this freeze will no longer happen. If you are on a slow network (like EDGE with only 1-2 bars) it might freeze for 2-3 seconds. Sorry about this. We should have this fix submitted to Apple in the next few days.
dr.aarong

Posted: Jul 05, 2009
Posted by Anders:
When you first open the iPhone app, it should ask you if you want to allow notifications.

FYI I'm pretty sure it didn't ask me until the second time I launched the app
dr.aarong

The app should inform people that notifications are about 1h prior to the due time. I kept testing for the exact time and thought notifications weren't working!
Anders

Toodledo notifications, in general, are 1 hour in advance for basic subscribers with more option for Pro users, but you are right that it should probably be more obvious in the app.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.