ForumsNewsThree improvements to our forums

Three improvements to our forums
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 17, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
We have made three small improvements to our forums today.

1) It is now possible to leave a topic as "unread" so you can come back later and finish reading if you want. Look for the link at the bottom of a forum topic.
2) It is now possible to change the number of topics and posts displayed per page. Go to your forum profile to edit your settings.
3) It is now possible to link directly to any post in the forums. Just click on the little page icon to the left of the posted date. This will highlight the post in question. You can then bookmark or copy/paste the URL wherever you want.
Anders

Posted: Jul 17, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Awesome :)
Linden

Posted: Jul 19, 2009
Wonderful, and elegant -- thanks!
Anders

Posted: Jul 20, 2009
These improvements have been very helpful for me. I have been having an issue however with #2. I have it currently set to display 30 topics per page, and 30 posts per page. The problem is that some topics (mostly long ones, though not all long ones have this problem) do not display the correct number of pages/posts. Right now a topic in the News Forum looks like this " Toodledo's iPhone app has been updated. Toodledo 56 mins ago
by Toodledo 5". So it says there are 5 posts in that thread, when in fact there are six pages of posts. What is annoying is that this means I cannot go directly to the last page. When I click on the topic, it displays correctly, and I can go to any page. I am currently playing around with my topics/posts displayed settings to see if this is specific to my settings or not.
Claudio

"What is annoying is that this means I cannot go directly to the last page."

Same issue for me.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the bug report. I'll look into it.

By the way, you can quickly go to the last unread post by clicking the red "unread messages" icon.

This message was edited Jul 20, 2009.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
After looking into it, I don't think it is related to the topics per page thing, but was just a result of the number of posts in that topic from getting out of sync with the actual number of posts in that topic.

If you see the post count differing from the actual post count again, please let me know.
Tyler

Posted: Jul 21, 2009
I'm curious why you don't use phpBB or some other "out of the box" app for the forums that have many of these features built in (yeah, I'm aware that all of them have their issues, but they've also usually got a pretty extensive feature set).

Not a priority question for these forums, but I have been curious, as it seems you do the coding for the forums yourself...
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 21, 2009
The out of the box forums have feature bloat and we wanted to keep things simple and not have to worry about staying up to date with their security patches.
Tyler

Posted: Jul 22, 2009
Posted by Toodledo:
The out of the box forums have feature bloat and we wanted to keep things simple and not have to worry about staying up to date with their security patches.

Ok, makes sense to me (I myself have to worry all the time about WordPress updates) -- just wondered.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.