ForumsNewsNested subtasks and other updates.

Nested subtasks and other updates.
RichR

Posted: Aug 29, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Awsome! I like it ...Although I have to say like Proximo I freaked out a bit when everything looked different. The nested subtasks didn't work properly until I disabled my greasemonkey scipts.

Thanks and keep up the good work. I'm glad I upgraded to Pro.
p.paxton

This is huge and it looks great.
benny

I have the same thing going on as Stefan. I use Folders for Projects - mostly because of issues I've had with the way that subtasks worked with saved searches (which I live in). With this update I was excited because I could try to use tasks/subtasks for Projects again. I created some Parent and Child tasks/subtasks and played with it briefly last night and it seemed to work OK. I started more extensive testing just now and couldn't see the child subtasks in my saved search that I absolutely should have seen. I checked the forum, saw Stefan's message and restarted the browser. Immediately I saw the child subtasks.

I'd love to try this out but unless TD can say definitively that they know what was causing this and that it is fixed I won't be able to trust it just yet. Of course, I'm sure they'll get a repro and fix it soon and I'll get to play with it. It looks like they've fixed exactly what my issues with subtasks were completely.

benster
dg

Posted: Aug 30, 2009
Love the upgrade! Thanks for listening to your users and responding...love that the most!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 31, 2009
We have identified the bug with subtask searching and are working on a fix right now. The bug is that sometimes, when switching between different saved searches, the search parameters are not properly applied to the subtasks. You can resolve the problem right now, by reloading the entire page after switching to the saved search that you are having problems with.
benny

Awesome! I'll play with it again tonight - I might be moving away from folders and towards task/subtasks for projects...
J-Mac

Sweet! Subtasks always indented - I like that!

Thank you, Jake!

Jim
benny

So it looks like in the indented mode I'm still not seeing a child task that matches a search if the parent doesn't match. That would be considered correct behavior, right? Following the line of thinking that if it's not flattened then a subtask only shows up if the parent shows up, right? Just trying to understand...

I also don't understand why one search in particular isn't working for me. I have the following search for personal tasks to be done in the next 7 days:

Checked Off = No
And
Priority is 3 - Top
Or Starred = Yes
Or Due Date is in the last 999 days
Or Due Date is in the next 7 days
And
Context is not @Work

I created a Parent Task with no due date, no context and starred. I created a child Task with a due date of today, a context of @Home and not starred. I believe the Parent task should match the search and the child task definitely does as it shows up when the view is flattened. However, the parent task never shows up at all (flattened or indented) - and, to my first point above, the child *only* shows up when it's flattened. The parent task is not checked off, is starred and doesn't have the @Work context - that should match the search above I believe.

I'd like to have the child show up when it matches regardless but like the indented view as I like to see what project a task is in (why I like folders today - you can put that column in the grid and see what project it's in). I understand about the view but I was trying to modify my search/parent task definition so that it would match the search, show up and thus my child task would show up. I'm just not sure at all why it didn't match.

I think the new indented view is really great. I'm not sure if tasks/subtasks are for me or not - that's why I'm playing with it and trying to clarify a few things.

benster
Anders

I can't reproduce the search bug. If you did what you say, it should match.

This message was edited Aug 31, 2009.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 01, 2009
I don't know how your search parameters are grouped, but if you are requiring a due-date in the last 999 days or in the next 7 days, a task without a due-date will not match either rule.

And you are correct, that if you are viewing the search page in "hidden" or "indented" mode, the parent must match the search for the subtask to also appear. If you need to find subtasks that don't necessarily have matching parents, you need to switch over to the flattened mode. The flattened mode was the default search mode before this update for this reason, now you have the option, but there is the potential for missing a subtask if you use "indented" exclusively.
Anders

If I understand correctly, the search is:
Match All

Checked off is No

AND

Status is 3 OR Star is Yes OR Due Date is in the last 999 days OR Due Date is in the next 7 days

AND

Context is not @Work

However, I would make sure you have it set up right. I tried to do it myself with the exact same search (except a different Context in the third rule), and everything appeared that should have, including parent tasks with only a Star to match the second rule.
Linden

Posted by benny:
I have the following search for personal tasks to be done in the next 7 days:

Checked Off = No
And
Priority is 3 - Top
Or Starred = Yes
Or Due Date is in the last 999 days
Or Due Date is in the next 7 days
And
Context is not @Work

I created a Parent Task with no due date, no context and starred. I created a child Task with a due date of today, a context of @Home and not starred.

The parent task doesn't match the "priority or star or date" part of the search. "No date" is treated like "Jan 1 1900" or something similarly far outside "past 999 days" for the purposes of searches. The parent task isn't starred, and doesn't appear to have a priority of 3. So, it isn't going to match that block.

The child matches, because the due date is today -- which is within the last 999 days.

Usually instead of "due date in the last X-long days", I'll use "due date is NOT in next X-long days". That way any date in the past will match, including tasks with no due date. Technically if you plan tasks due many years in advance it might cause problems, but I've been safe using 1000 days (~3 years).
Jeremy

Great job guys...just keeps getting better.
benny

Posted: Sep 02, 2009
@Linden - the parent task was starred. I stated that but it might not have been completely clear.

@Anders/@TD - I grouped the search as it appears on the site and Anders got it right. Anders, I'm 99.99% sure that the parent and children were setup this way and 100% sure that the search is as I've posted - I live in this search 24x7. That leaves a small possibility that the tasks were incorrect but I firmly believe that they were as I stated they were.

@TD - thanks a lot for the clarification - that's what I expected. I think I will stay with folders right now for two reasons - the aforementioned behavior with flattened/indented and parent/child visibility and the fact that I can put a Folder in the grid to see the project that a task belongs to. The second one is weak as the indented mode might be fine for that but I need to be able to see subtasks that match when tasks don't if I were use use parent tasks as projects.

There's NOTHING WRONG with this behavior at all. My usage just differs a bit and I have a slightly different requirement for my system. Fortunately, the good people here have given us great flexibility and options to make our systems work for us.
benny

I meant to quickly clarify - the search basically means:

"Anything that is not completed, not work-related and is either top priority, starred, due in the next week or overdue."

I have a separate work search to get my work related tasks as I go through the day. I would kill to have saved searches in the iPhone app as I live in them as a convert from another site where those were the norm. The above search could possibly be optimized but I got it working this way after moving here and never bothered to see how it could be further optimized.
Linden

Posted by benny:
@Linden - the parent task was starred. I stated that but it might not have been completely clear.

Wow. I must have read the line for the parent task at least 10 times before posting, and STILL read "unstarred" or "not starred". I'm glad the others were able to figure it out for you!
Anders

The thing is, it wasn't figured out. That search should have worked. It did when I tried it.
Linden

Oh. For some reason those last two messages gave me the impression it was working now, but he wasn't sure what had changed. Not sure why my brain isn't connecting the dots on this one!
benny

Just a quick thanks for the time spent thinking about my original post. I truly appreciate it. I'm curious about the search not matching but I'll circle back on it as I've already determined that I'm not going to use tasks/subtasks for project right now.

Thanks again - everyone here makes this site what it is (along with Jake and the rest of Toodledo too, I guess :)
educatedwarrior

Posted: Sep 08, 2009
Hi. I have been using the Gettings Things Done Outlook for years - I can't live without it. It creates two custom fields in outlook called MetaProject, Project and Subproject. These three fields are used to group tasks by project and subproject of course.

The issue I have with Toodledo is I would like to synchronize these custom fields and be able to group them within Toodledo - this way my subtasks while be automatically associated with the corresponding project. Right now I have to to associates tasks and projects in two places. Any plans for the future.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.