ForumsNewsiPhone app updated with context/tag filters

iPhone app updated with context/tag filters
roddyt

Posted: Jan 15, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Now that I've tried this new filter, I have to agree with the others. As it is, I won't use it. In my case, I have a context of Errands, and I use tags for the type. So if I'm in the hardware store, I want to select Hardware once, not click 10 others to hide them.

I know the point you're making with the term "filter" and you're probably correct. But it's a fine point that I don't think would confuse anyone. Especially as there is a label at the top of each selection group that could read "Select Contexts/Tags" instead of "Hide."

If you stick to this functionality, then a button to "check all", as you suggested earlier, is a necessity.
roddyt

Posted by Toodledo:
I hear you. I'll see what I can do.

But you have to admit that having a context filter (even with 11 clicks) is better than no context filter at all, so we are making progress. If it is too frustrating to use, please ignore this new feature until we have a chance to tweak it.

Just as Proximo said, I don't want to seem ungrateful. You've still got the best system going for my needs. Just a bit of constructive (I hope) criticism.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
If you want to look at only one context, you could always go directly to that context by tapping on "Contexts" from the home screen and then "Errands". I think this would be faster than using filters, and you wouldn't have to undo the filter when you were done. Just an idea.
Transisto

Posted: Jan 16, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
Crash ! Like marisa_whitfield

This only happen with sub tasks ,,
The crash happen exactly before showing the number of subtask.
It must be because sub task cannot have subtask or ???

This message was edited Jan 16, 2010.
TheGriff_2

I have to agree having these filters is better than not however I'd like to know how I can get saved searches higher up on the list of one thousand. ;-)

This new functionality really has me craving the ability to save these filter choices as searches on the iPhone. So if I'm out I may just show @Errands, Anywhere and @Phone.
ctenorman

I believe you've done it the right way on the iPhone. For example, I don't want to see projects on my hotlist because as David Allen keeps repeating, you can't DO a project, only actions that contribute to it. So by hiding the projects context I can see only what I have to do, which is great.

I look forward to having this functionality added to the web site - for the moment, the iPhone's Hotlist is more useful than the sites (a minor quibble however).
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 18, 2010
Transisto, Can you please attach a crash log to a support ticket? http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=80
Proximo

Posted by ctenorman:
I believe you've done it the right way on the iPhone. For example, I don't want to see projects on my hotlist because as David Allen keeps repeating, you can't DO a project, only actions that contribute to it. So by hiding the projects context I can see only what I have to do, which is great.

I look forward to having this functionality added to the web site - for the moment, the iPhone's Hotlist is more useful than the sites (a minor quibble however).

For GTD Setup on Toodledo, I don't use Project as a context. Project is a list or Folder not a resource or location.

Again, due to the open nature of Toodledo, many have the system setup differently, but I still feel that if you look at how many other applications due it, the filter should say this when you click on it "Filter everything that is not this" or "I only want to see items with this in it"

It's faster and requires one click rather than many.

This message was edited Jan 18, 2010.
thpope

I agree with Proximo. It seems more natural to select contexts I want vs. contexts I don't want. Ditto for tags. Your logic seems fine, but I prefer illogic for this because it will save me time.

I would be fine with a "check all", "uncheck all" button as a compromise.
cjuzda

Actually I don't think this is faster than using filters. Let's say I'm in my DUE Today list and I just want to look at Calls. This is fast and simple if I just have to click once to filter on Calls so that only calls show as opposed to opening the context view, selecting errands and then looking at Today only, plus, I've also lost my focus on "Today" to some extent. When you think about it what you really want a filter to do is create a new view on the run - actually your tabs on the web app are "filters", etc. I think the term "filter" can be misinterpreted either way. what I'm really interested in is seeing the result of the filter, not semantics. In this type of application, I believe (after using many similar applications and working extensively with CRM program development)that users are more used to and would prefer to select what they want to see directly instead of using a subtractive approach. IN CRM, you can easily have 50 categories and if you only want to see one, you do not want to have to select the 49 you don't want to see. This is particularly true of something like contexts if you're using a GTD type approach where I may have 10 contexts or "places" and am much more likely to want to see one or two contexts at any one time and would prefer not to have to accomplish this by subtraction of 8 other contexts. My opinion only and it is an excellent application regardless.

Chris

Posted by Toodledo:
If you want to look at only one context, you could always go directly to that context by tapping on "Contexts" from the home screen and then "Errands". I think this would be faster than using filters, and you wouldn't have to undo the filter when you were done. Just an idea.
Martys To Do

Posted: Jan 19, 2010
Please add the "check all" and "uncheck all" feature -- that would be a great added flexibility and would be more useful for the manner in which I access toodledo information on the iphone.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 19, 2010
"check all" and "uncheck all" buttons have already been added to our development build, and it is working good. It will be in the next update.
Proximo

Posted: Jan 21, 2010
Posted by Toodledo:
"check all" and "uncheck all" buttons have already been added to our development build, and it is working good. It will be in the next update.

I hope this is a short term solution to fixing the filtering to work as discussed above.

You click on @Call = I only want to see task with this Context.

If you click on @Call and @Work = I only want to see task with both of these context.

simple
thpope

Posted: Jan 21, 2010
Posted by Proximo:
Posted by Toodledo:

I hope this is a short term solution to fixing the filtering to work as discussed above.

You click on @Call = I only want to see task with this Context.

If you click on @Call and @Work = I only want to see task with both of these context.

simple
Me too. Just because every other program works the way Proximo says. But I'm willing to give the check/uncheck all a try. Can you tell us when we can expect the next update?
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2  

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.