ForumsNewsTag autocomplete + multi-context filter

Tag autocomplete + multi-context filter
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 02, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Here are a couple nice improvements for today.

1) Tag autocomplete: When typing a new tag, it will highlight the tag that it thinks you are trying to type. Press the tab key to autocomplete that tag.

2) The context filter now allows you to select multiple contexts to filter by

3) Pressing the tab key to move between fields in the "Add Task" box will now allow you to tab to the note field.

4) Soon.... We implemented a tag filter that works just like the context filter, but it ran into a few last minute bugs, so we will release that once we get those ironed out.

Enjoy!
PeterW 

Posted by Toodledo:
Here are a couple nice improvements for today.

These are very cool enhancements! Just tried them out and they work great.

One question - the text in the header bar when I filter by more than one context says:
9 To-dos in folder 'Next', sorted by Due-Date, filtered by context '' rather than showing the context names. For one context it works fine.

This message was edited Mar 02, 2010.
offsky - test

That would be a bug :)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Yes, it was a bug, but it's fixed now :)
Carl

Posted by Toodledo:
1) Tag autocomplete: When typing a new tag, it will highlight the tag that it thinks you are trying to type. Press the tab key to autocomplete that tag.

Now I love you forever.

2) The context filter now allows you to select multiple contexts to filter by

And defaults to none selected, even when in the Context->MyContext tab. I was slightly alarmed for a moment when all of my tasks were suddenly missing.

When I select a specific context tab, it ought to show that context by default. (Can't imagine why one would be selecting Context->MyContext if they didn't want to see the tasks in MyContext.)

But I still love you.
Allen

Posted by Toodledo:

Excellent! Thanks!

One bug -- if you hit escape to close the tag popup, the tag field disappears altogether.
Linden

I'm excited about the autocomplete, even though I haven't tried it yet.

But what I'm REALLY THRILLED about is the context checkbox filter. I had read about it from the iPhone app discussions and didn't appreciate how amazing it would be. It's going to be possible to actually collapse some of my contexts because of the flexibility this filter provides!

Thank you for these awesome upgrades, Toodledo!
Allen

The autocomplete works great, Linden, you won't be disappointed. I was so excited about it, I overlooked the context checkbox filter -- man is that a great addition! This is -really- going to streamline how I use Toodledo between home/work. . . some redundant folders are about to go toodle-oo. (Pardon my pun...)
jason.schleifer

I just gotta say.. thank you so much for your continued development & improvement. it's awesome!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Allen, which browser are you using? I cant' get the tag field to disappear with the ESC key.
Allen

Posted: Mar 03, 2010
Chrome, primarily; I have reproduced it in IE 8 and Opera 10.5 as well.

I should clarify, pressing ESC while in the tag popup causes not only the popup to disappear but the tag field as well.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for that. We got that fixed too.
klimeklada

Thank you very much, especially for adding multiple contexts to filter - I missed it a lot! Perfect job!

Only one thing is still missing - possibility to manually reorder task. I miss it so much! And it's so frustrating work with toodledo without this :(
Thomas

I'm actually not too fond of the multi-context filter.

I only have two contexts (home and work) and always switch between these. Now with the multi-context filter, I first have to disable one context, move the mouse to the other context and enable it to achieve a switch.

While the extra click and mouse movement seems like nitpicking, for a smooth Toodledo experience it is essential :) Therefore, I would really like to see an option to enable the old context filter instead of this multi-context filter.

This message was edited Mar 03, 2010.
roddyt

Thanks for the update.

A slight improvement I would recommend is to order the contexts alphabetically. It looks like they are in the order they were created now.

Actually, my real dream is to be able to manually order contexts the way folders can be. My workaround for now is to preface the context names with periods to group them the way I want. I used to use spaces, but that stopped working recently for some reason.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestions. We will continue to make refinements.
Proximo

I am confused.

I still can't create a task with multiple context...

I have a @work context, but would like to assign @Call, @Errand, @Computer, etc to the same task.

This way I can filter by multiple context and filter my list down to what I really want. If I am at work and wanted to tackle all my Call related task, I could filter by @Work and @Call. Now I only see what I really need.

This implementation lets me show task with different context on the screen at once, but it does not allow me to create a task with multiple context which I can later filter.

The only reason I was using tags to identify my resource related context was due to Toodledo not supporting multiple context. We still don't have multiple context which I can filter by.

Based on what I see here, context in Toodledo are really Areas of focus and the tags are the context, or is it the other way around. The tags are Areas of focus and the context are context.

Using context as Areas of Focus and Tags as context works out, but it's not straight forward from a GTD perspective. A context is a resource or location in GTD. I know Toodledo is not designed for GTD, so I guess I would have to accept this and move on.

Thanks anyway, the new features are nice regardless.

This message was edited Mar 03, 2010.
Proximo

In Multi-line format, you can't tell what Tag you are currently filtered by.

Just an FYI

I know many users prefer Multi-line mode to get rid of the clutter.
PeterW 

Posted by Proximo:
I still can't create a task with multiple context...

I have a @work context, but would like to assign @Call, @Errand, @Computer, etc to the same task.

Hi Proximo,

I use a combination of contexts and tags to achieve this. For example, the context @call will usually have a tag of business or personal. This gives me a bit of flexibility as I can then look at all calls, only work calls, only personal calls, or a combination of both.

The only other suggestion I have is that you could create a few additional contexts, e.g. @work call, @personal call, etc.

My implementation (based on yours) keeps tags for areas of focus and contexts as contexts.
jiuyen

Hi there,

The tag cloud hangs on "Loading tags..." from the Add Multiple Tasks page.

I do like the autocomplete (thank you for the continuous improvements), but I would still like to see a way to turn the cloud off.

Thank you.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.