ForumsNewsToodledo for iPad / iPhone

Toodledo for iPad / iPhone
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 01, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Our iPhone app has been updated to version 1.6.0, which brings along some updates, but the big news is that Toodledo will now work perfectly on the iPad and takes advantage of the entire screen to manage your tasks.

* Added dividers on lists between tasks with similar values. (For example, all the "today" tasks will be listed under a "today" header when sorting your list by due date

* Fixed a bug that would cause the due time to be displayed off by one hour in certain situations, due to daylight savings time

* Made in-app documentation prettier

* Fixed bug where "no context" and "no tag" filters would get unset on occasion.

Screenshots and more info is available in iTunes. Download from iTunes

This message was edited Apr 01, 2010.
roddyt

Posted: Apr 02, 2010
Yay, this will be one of the first things I try when I pick up my iPad tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the timely update.
eykanal

Thanks for the update! I love seeing popular ideas get implemented quickly; I realize you have your own timeline for features, but this makes us users feel like our feedback really does count. Thanks again!

One small note... it seems that, by default, the list dividers are set to "off" in the settings tab - at least, that was how it was for me after I downloaded the update and launched the app. I assume this was intentional (for whatever reason... I personally think it should be on by default, but it isn't my app), but I just wanted to make sure you're aware of it.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
They are off by default because they cause lists to load and scroll slower and we thought that people would prefer to have fast lists, but have the option of turning on dividers if they want to.
Original Account

Posted: Apr 04, 2010
Thank's for adding the List Dividers, I was looking forward to when this got implemented. Makes it MUCH easier to figure out my tasks now on the iPhone.. Thanks!!
stephen.ferro

Posted: Apr 05, 2010
Thanks for the quick support of the iPad. Using Toodledo on the iPad for the past 2 days, my request for a future update would be to have the list of tasks be on the right pane in landscape and be the entire pane in portrait.

Having the task details take up so much room is great for editing a task, but not ideal for reviewing your lists (the left pane/pop up pane is too small to read most tasks.
george

Looking forward to the new version. But curiously... I picked up my iPad on Saturday and have found lots of updated apps. But my Toodledo apps (tasks & notebook) both remain at the previous version. Were the updated versions removed, or.. what's up?

Thanks!
--George
Jake

Toodledo Founder
George,

The updated versions are there. It sounds like you are using third-party software on your iPhone. The company responsible for those apps will need to do their updates. Our iPhone app is located here: http://www.toodledo.com/info/iphone.php
barrettjacobsen

Posted: Apr 06, 2010
While it's nice to have toodledo on the iPad, it works much different from how I would expect.

Currently the tasks are all crammed on the left (most cut off because they're too long to display) and a HUGE edit task interface takes up the right (which me modifying most of those settings would be a rarity as after I've created a task it's rare I change it).

What I would have expected is a list of my folders/contexts/tags/whatever on the left and all of the tasks listed on the right (with a checkbox to mark complete, clicking on the title would pop up the edit interface).

Is it possible to add an option to have things display how I would have expected?

Thanks!
Rob G

Posted: Apr 06, 2010
Does ToodleDo 1.6 require iPhone OS 3.1.3 or will 3.1.2 be sufficient?
george

Posted: Apr 07, 2010
Posted by Toodledo:
George,

The updated versions are there.

Curious, I wonder why it didn't automatically update on my iPad or iPhone. (Always has before...)

Anyway, I went ahead and re-purchased the app on my iPad. It works, but I agree with the previous poster about the weird layout. I'd prefer a LOT more screen real estate for the task list.

Thanks
--George
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Toodledo 1.6 will work on iPhone 3.0 and up.

With regard to the list on the left and the details on the right. We followed Apple's guidelines for presenting list data. If you look at Apple's apps (Email, Notes, Settings) this is the way they do it, and the way that they recommend.

That said, now that we have an iPad we are already making notes for better ways to take advantage of the screen. I have no problems admitting that our iPad app was a rush job that was as close as a translation to our iPhone app as possible, partly because Apple only gave us two months to work on it, and because we didn't have an iPad.

We will make improvements.

Thanks

This message was edited Apr 07, 2010.
barrettjacobsen

I see what you mean regarding Mail and Notes, but Settings doesn't seem follow that. Settings, is pretty much how I envisioned Toodledo for iPad, there's a list of categories (folders, for Toodledo) on the left and a list of settings (todos) on the right. Some settings on the right let you drill down farther to sub-settings (sub-tasks, though ideally I think these should just be indented like they are on the website).

What I'm ideally hoping for is a iPad application that looks very similar to how OmniFocus looks on a Mac (not the iPhone version, the actual desktop app) - groupings on the left half, and the respective todo list on the right. OmniGroup really dropped the ball by not having an iPad version ready. In interviews they made it sound like they'd have one ready for launch, but they apparently decided to port two of their other apps instead of OmniFocus. Some current posts indicated that there may not even be an iPad OmniFocus until late 2010. As such, I feel OmniGroup is spread too thin (it's apparently the same people doing all of the desktop apps and all their iphone/ipad apps), and decided to jump ship (no easy decision as I was already fairly committed to the platform). Toodledo is the front runner in finding a replacement. I really like the idea of being able to check it from a website instead of being forced into using a desktop client. Things is another possibility that has been brought up on the OmniGroup forums, but it is much more expensive to try out (Here it was only $3 for the app, and I have seven days to evaluate Pro before I have to make a decision). I have a feeling you can capture a lot of former OmniFocus users if the interface on the iPad were to be more similar to OmniFocus (and Toodledo's web interface, for that matter).

Sorry for the long rant :P

This message was edited Apr 07, 2010.
stephen.ferro

I appreciate the fact that you had to rush to get the app out. I thank you for having Toodledo ready day 1. I am not sure Apple's guidelines are even good for their apps. It works for Notes, and Settings (although barrettjacobsen is right and Settings stretches that model) The model doesn't work for Mail (at least for me) Since I keep my inbox at zero, much of the time I have no email selected and therefore the majority of the screen is blank. I think another design model (similar to what barrettjacobsen suggested) is called for when you have organized lists.

I look forward to your enhancements. If you need beta testers I am willing and able <smile>.
CM Smith

I just downloaded the iPad app tonight. Generally I think that I like it, although that I agree having the tasks in the small drop down box cuts off the title of each task. It would be nice if there was a little more room given to the task lists.

Also, in my home list I have no Context option that would then display my contexts. I have the folders, due dates, priorities, due dates options but no contexts. I checked settings and I see nothing that looks like I can enable this. Am I missing something?

Also, Settings --> About when you click the 'Contact Us' button at the top right an email dialog comes down. When you are in portrait mode everything is good except that Toodledo's support email address is not filled in. When you are in landscape the email address is also not there and when you start typing the email scrolls up to where you can not see what you are typing. You can type and then scroll up and the text is there.

Any help with the contexts is much appreciated.
stephen.ferro

Posted: Apr 08, 2010
Chris,

Check under settings. Contexts was turned off for me. It appeared once I turned it on under "Fields & Defaults"
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 09, 2010
Now that we have had an actual real-life iPad to test with, we (and some of you) have found a few bugs with our app. One of the bugs is that selecting a subtask from the subtask popover menu would occasionally cause the app to crash. We have fixed this bug and submitted it to Apple for approval (4 days ago).

Today we found another bug which we have fixed, but we need to wait until Apple approves our first update before we can submit a new update. This bug is easy to avoid, so here is a description: In portrait mode only, when you navigate to a task via the popover list from the toolbar button, if you edit the task in such a way that the list must be updated, this may cause a crash. For example, if you have your list sorted by due-date, and you edit a task's due-date, this causes the list to need to be re-sorted. In portrait mode, the list is hidden, and when it tries to sort, it crashes. The work around is to use landscape mode when editing a task that would cause the list to be refreshed. We have this fixed and will get it out to you as soon as Apple allows us to.

Sorry for the bugs.
george

Posted: Apr 10, 2010
Posted by george:
Posted by Toodledo:
George,

The updated versions are there.

Wow, I was VERY confused. I had the Appigo apps, not Toodledo's. Had no idea they were different until now, since theirs syncs with your web service.

--George
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 10, 2010
There are actually about a dozen iPhone apps that sync with Toodledo. But only one official app, named "Toodledo".
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.