ForumsNewsTwo More Improvements

Two More Improvements
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 04, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
1) On the search page, if you have a Pro Account and use subtasks, you can now specifically search for subtasks or parent tasks.
2) The "Multi-Edit" tool on the search page now includes the option to delete a bunch of tasks in one step. Be careful with this, there is no undelete option.
chogg

Posted: Sep 06, 2008
Score: 1 Reference
This feature is fantastic! It helps me out a TON in doing my weekly review.

The only thing which it lacks is some way to search for specific features of the subtasks. By far the most important of these is the checked off/not checked off distinction. A parent task (with Context "Project") having only checked-off subtasks, is equivalent to a parent task having *no* subtasks, for my purposes.

In the meantime, I can get around this by going to view the Context "Project", and using the new "Show All Subtasks" option (which is also amazing by the way, and thanks!). The best would be to be able to have one page, where I could see at a glance all projects without an associated Next Action, and I hope you find a good way to do that someday. But in the meantime, the combination of these two new tools has immensely improved my efficiency.

Thanks,
Chip
laura.klemme

Posted: Nov 02, 2008
I would really like to see an 'undelete' function. A few of items in the trash would be great and then dump trash for final deletes. I just lost 2 tasks when I thought that I clicked on the detail icon on the far right but hit the delete icon which is right next to it. There is no 'roll over' to indicate which icon was selected.

Having this would be a lifesaver.

Thanks,

Laura
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 04, 2008
The delete button should popup a confirmation window, so it should be difficult to accidentally delete a task. If you check off the task instead of deleting it, it will be easy to uncheck the task to recover it if you need to.
joe

Posted: Apr 09, 2009
Any chance of that undelete function? I just changed my outlook profile, synced using ToodledoSync and all my tasks disappeared. Moving them to a trash folder or allowing for some form of undelete function would be a life savar. Alternatively, anyone at Toodledo available to help restore my tasks from last night?

Posted by laura.klemme:
I would really like to see an 'undelete' function. A few of items in the trash would be great and then dump trash for final deletes. I just lost 2 tasks when I thought that I clicked on the detail icon on the far right but hit the delete icon which is right next to it. There is no 'roll over' to indicate which icon was selected.

Having this would be a lifesaver.

Thanks,

Laura
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 09, 2009
We do plan to make an undelete option in the future. Right now, when tasks are deleted, they are permanently deleted and there is no way to undo it.

When you use a third-party application like ToodledoSync, you need to make sure that you trust that application. We have no control over what third-party applications do to your account once you grant them full access.

We have seen some reports of people undeleting tasks from within Outlook, but you'll need to contact the developer of ToodledoSync to get instructions for how to do this.

http://www.chromadrake.com/ChromaticDragon/software/ToodledoSyncInfo.aspx
Alan

Posted: May 05, 2009
Posted by Toodledo:
We do plan to make an undelete option in the future. Right now, when tasks are deleted, they are permanently deleted and there is no way to undo it.
I just got caught this morning when I deleted a task in error, and cannot remember which one it was. Personally, I think that this has a lot to do with screen layout issues in that it's easy to make a mistake when deleting, since the trash can icon is way over on the right.

An immediate improvement that I would like to suggest is to give users the option of putting the trash can on the far left of the screen, right next to the task name. That would make it easier to ensure that you are deleting the right task since visually, it would be clearer. I know you have a pop-up, but it was quite early and I wasn't awake. (Note to self: ensure to have a coffee before checking the day's tasks in the future).

Even if you could keep deleted items for 7 days or less, and allow us to search for "recently deleted" tasks, that would be a major improvement. "Undo" can always come later.

Thanks!

This message was edited May 05, 2009.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestion.
Anders

Posted by Alan:
I just got caught this morning when I deleted a task in error, and cannot remember which one it was. Personally, I think that this has a lot to do with screen layout issues in that it's easy to make a mistake when deleting, since the trash can icon is way over on the right.

For this reason, I always switch to multiline if I am going to delete a task. That way it is much easier to see which task I will delete. Personally, I think a great way to prevent accidentally deleting the wrong tasks would be if the confirmation pop-up actually told you which task was to be deleted rather than just the generic "this task".
davek

I'm just curious, why do you delete tasks? Is there a task number limit, or disk space limit? I virtually never delete, as clicking complete takes them off the list.

(ok, I did delete one when I got a duplicate task due to an interrupted sync).

Leaving them on the system (but checked off), allows me to review history, if I need to.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Some people like to delete tasks instead of completing them. It's a personal preference.

There is no task limit or disk space limit.
Anders

I agree with davek, and rarely delete tasks. All the more reason to be especially careful when I do.
Generally, I delete a task for one of the following reasons(mostly the first):
-It was created by a mistake duplication (I sync Toodledo with many, many different apps)
-It was a task that I created for the specific purpose of testing out some feature of Toodledo, or something like that
-It is a task that I don't want to ever look at again(frustrating, uncompletable, made me angry, looked at me the wrong way, etc.)

This message was edited May 05, 2009.
HansD

The earlier mentioned undo would certainly be helpful. I understand this involves some more effort, so having the described small helpers are quick fixes.

Re the icon, would certainly help if we can move all columns in a view. (having the notes and trash icon hidden on the right are certainly not helping me)
roddyt

Posted: May 06, 2009
Reasons I might delete are similar to those of Anders. But I have a twist on the reason I will have duplicates. In the course of a day, a thought may pop into my head and I'll dutifully enter a task. As often as not, I may have already entered that same task before. Usually I'm too busy at the time to search to see if it's already there. When I review I'll find the duplicate and delete it.
Linden

Posted: May 07, 2009
Roddy and Anders are both making excellent points -- I delete in similar situations. The key point in favour of deletion rather than checking for me is that checking it off (while safer) also distorts the stats and chains.

I use both the stats and chains to compare productivity from one day to the next, or measure consistency in tackling my goals. I don't want cancelled or duplicate projects distorting those figures.
castiron

Posted: May 20, 2009
I don't usually have the delete icon displayed, so when I want to delete a task, I change its name to "delete me"; later, I do a quick search for all tasks called that and delete them all at once.
davek

Posted by castiron:
I don't usually have the delete icon displayed, so when I want to delete a task, I change its name to "delete me"; later, I do a quick search for all tasks called that and delete them all at once.

That's a good idea. I don't want to commit valuable window space to a delete icon that I rarely use.

I recently used the Ipod touch application to delete some duplicate tasks that I inadvertantly created.
TheGriff_2

Like others I delete tasks only when they're duplicated for some reason.

That said it makes some sense that when I want to "delete" a task I simply set it to cancelled and check it off.

I wonder if there's a possibility of auto-completing a task when it's status is set to cancelled. Another thought on this would be to have the trashcan pop-up a submenu that let's you choose from cancel/complete and permanently delete.

That second option would give the confirmation others in the thread have mentioned.

Thoughts?
Anders

If you mark a task as canceled, you don't even have to check it off. It will be hidden unless you turn of the "deferred" filter turned off.

I personally don't like to check off something I haven't done. I really think if the confirmation popup told me which task was being deleted, that would work great at least for me.
TheGriff_2

The problem is the deferred filter turns off everything that's deferred...which I don't want.

I think my second option would solve both of our issues. Sure it's not a pop-up but it is a two step procedure which will prevent accidental deletions. Click the trash can then click permanently delete.

Of course everyone uses systems differently. Personally I do check off cancelled tasks as I have made a decision on that task and it is now complete.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.