ForumsNewsImprovement to Subtasks

Improvement to Subtasks
jlandonsmith - work

Posted: Apr 28, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
As someone who uses the Subtask feature to organize projects, I think it would be helpful if you could set Subtask priorities to escalate as Subtasks are completed, automatically. In other words, I set up all actions that need to be done in order to complete a project as Subtasks under the Task (or project). The idea here is that I would set them up chronologically in the order in which they need to be done. Then I click a switch somewhere and the very first Subtask listed becomes a Top Priority (therefor showing up on my Hotlist), while the other Subtasks remain No Priority. When the first Subtask gets completed, the next subtask listed gets bumped to Top Priority, automatically, while the other Subtasks remain at No Priority. Etc, etc. Automatic prioritizing based on chronolgy and completion of Subtasks. But can it be done?!?

Of course, the ability to reorganize the chronology of Subtasks would be a must in order for this to work.

This message was edited Apr 28, 2009.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestion.
Alan

Posted by jlandonsmith:
The idea here is that I would set them up chronologically in the order in which they need to be done. Then I click a switch somewhere and the very first Subtask listed becomes a Top Priority (therefor showing up on my Hotlist), while the other Subtasks remain No Priority. When the first Subtask gets completed, the next subtask listed gets bumped to Top Priority, automatically, while the other Subtasks remain at No Priority. Etc, etc. Automatic prioritizing based on chronolgy and completion of Subtasks.
This is very similar to what LifeBalance does. Subtasks can be set up as dependant on other tasks, so when a task get checked as "done", the other one automatically becomes active.
J-Mac

Posted: May 02, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
A request for subtasks: Can subtasks be given a visible reference to their parent tasks?

Presently I have stopped using subtasks as often as I was for anything important. The way they are currently displayed makes it too easy for me to miss them, either because they are not shown nested under their parents, or if instead they are showing out among the rest of my tasks I don't necessarily recognize which parent task they belong to.

E.g., I had several tasks for my writing, with the same subtasks, like Compose draft, review/proof draft, etc. Naturally when these are sorted into the regular tasks, with various due dates, it's difficult to know with which project - or parent task - they are associated. NB, the subtask titles are a bit longer than I show above so manually adding in the parent tasks' titles would be more than redundant; it would be a rather big time waster for me, and make really long titles! I did try using an acronym of sorts for each parent and placing that at the start of each subtask, but soon I needed a key to determine which acronym was for which parent! (OK, so my mind is getting as old as I am and I can easily forget such associations. Stop laughing - you'll all see soon enough... ! ) I also try to use folders but often there are several parents in that folder.

I am not certain what the best way would be to show what parent each subtask is associated with, but anything that helps with a quick and easy identification would be great.

Thanks!

Jim
lansigartem

Posted: May 03, 2009
Hi, i'm new to toodledo but i'm wandering if you're going to add a couple of features like:

Being able to make templates, or to make copy of entire lists
. This is important for projects where you repeat (with all tasks and subtasks) every once in a while and that it would be annoying to recreate the complete list.

Will you add multiple level subtasking soon?

Also, could we set the reminder to send an advice instantly for a due date task?

Thanks for your good work (so far)
Anders

Posted: May 03, 2009
Hello lansigartem. Welcome to Toodledo.

Posted by lansigartem:
Being able to make templates, or to make copy of entire lists. This is important for projects where you repeat (with all tasks and subtasks) every once in a while and that it would be annoying to recreate the complete list.

Certainly a good idea. I just wanted to give you this tip: When you complete this sort of project, change the status to reference. That way when you want to recreate it, you can easily find all tasks and subtasks in a search, and reactivate them.

I know Toodledo has mentioned adding one more level to the hierarchy. Personally, I hope it is more like subfolders/projects, but another level of subtasks could do basically the same thing.

I don't know about reminders. I just use them with Google Calendar.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 04, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions.
Samir Thakkar

Posted: May 13, 2009
For copying the tasks of a project, I import them thorugh a csv file, you can do the same to simplify and quicken things up! That way you have a template for similar projects.

Posted by lansigartem:
Hi, i'm new to toodledo but i'm wandering if you're going to add a couple of features like:

Being able to make templates, or to make copy of entire lists
. This is important for projects where you repeat (with all tasks and subtasks) every once in a while and that it would be annoying to recreate the complete list.

Also, could we set the reminder to send an advice instantly for a due date task?

Thanks for your good work (so far)
Jason Leonard

Posted: May 14, 2009
This is probably obvious, but I can't figure out how to "Add a SUBtask". I can add a task, then drag it to the "parent", and then at that point I can add subtasks easily.

Is there anyway to have the link that says "add subtask" show up before there is one already?
Anders

Posted: May 14, 2009
What you have been doing (create&drag) is currently the only option for tasks that do not already have subtasks. It looks like we may see an improvement here before long. See Toodledo's post here: https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/2004/-9415/resort-tasks-on-changes-and-add-a-subtask-feature.html
Also, FYI, if you use the slim site, firefox addon, or gadgets you can add subtasks to any task.
help

Posted: Jun 17, 2009
I try pro account and arrange tasks to subtasks. I try it in Slim version, where are subtasks functional, but I forgot look on subtasks in html version of Toodledo. My demo of pro accout expired and I would like to know if are subtasks in html version supported? Thanks

This message was edited Jun 17, 2009.
Anders

Posted: Jun 17, 2009
Posted by help:
My demo of pro accout expired and I would like to know if are subtasks in html version supported? Thanks

No, all tasks are flattened on the HTML-only site.
Rich

Posted: Jun 26, 2009
Is it likely that the 'Slim' version will allow (at some point soon) subtasks to only appear under their parent tasks. I just started the trial and it seems like creating tasks with subtasks will be a fantastic benefit.... BUT... if your list always contains the parent and subtasks together in the same list then it will be very confusing. It needs to be possible for at least one of the views to show parents with subtasks nested... as the main site does...

Thanks
Rich

ah...had a thought...

If I create a folder 'Projects' and then only add the parent task to the folder e.g. 'Tidy garage' then i can visit that folder and not get distracted by all the subtasks... but they would be visible by visiting each parent and viewing subtasks from there... will do for now...
Anders

You could also give all your projects -1 Priority, then sort by Priority, or use stars for projects, and go to the Starred view to see only projects. There are a number of ways to work around it, but I agree with your original suggestion.
matti.iveson

Posted: Aug 11, 2009
Do we have the ability to reorder subtasks? This is a deal-breaker for a pro renewal, although ToodleDo will definitely remain my primary task manager.

Additionally, I understand that infinite task nesting can be a concern in that it creates synchronization difficulties. However, after trying The Big Picture (thebigpic.org), I have come to appreciate multi-level nested subtasking. If there were some link between TD and TBC, my GTD wish list would be filled.

Thank you again for an excellent task platform.
Anders

Posted: Aug 11, 2009
You can't manually reorder subtasks, but they do follow your sort criteria.
chuckl

Posted: Aug 13, 2009
Allowing for manually ordering subtasks, while retaining sort order of their 'parent' tasks would allow for maintaining subtask dependency ordering (at least within that task). This would help me tremendously.
Proximo

Posted: Aug 14, 2009
Posted by richnufc:
ah...had a thought...

If I create a folder 'Projects' and then only add the parent task to the folder e.g. 'Tidy garage' then i can visit that folder and not get distracted by all the subtasks... but they would be visible by visiting each parent and viewing subtasks from there... will do for now...

This is exactly what I do with my GTD setup on Toodledo. Works great.

Also use custom search to bring forward all subtask that have a Star or a Status of Next action. This prevents the current problem with nested sub-task not coming forward on their own and hiding inside the parent task.
lite1

Posted: Aug 15, 2009
Haven't been to forum in a while and checked News first; only to be "deceived" that there was some Improvement to Subtasks as is promised by the Topic. While perhaps useful dialogue, it seems to me that the last 5 to 10 posts really should be a different Topic in a different forum.

This is really a choice for Anders and for TD, and my apologies in advance for taking this thread further off topic.

Edward
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.