ForumsNewsImprovement to Subtasks

Improvement to Subtasks
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 04, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
By popular request, there is now a option to show/hide all subtasks simultaneously. You'll find the link in the yellow toolbar near the top of your list if you have a Pro Account and have subtasks enabled.

This message was edited Sep 04, 2008.
Bartosz Gajek

Posted: Sep 05, 2008
it was driving me crazy. thank you!

now the second most wanted feat (I hope so..) REORDERING of tasks and subtasks.

cheers to whole Toodledo crew!

This message was edited Sep 05, 2008.
kleerkoat

Posted: Sep 05, 2008
nice update.

is there anyway to always have subtasks grouped with their parent?
GoGo97

Posted: Sep 11, 2008
Great improvement! Sometimes it's the simple things...
John

Posted: Sep 13, 2008
Ryan,

There is a way to have all subtasks grouped with their parent. Just click "Show All Subtasks" in the bar on the and it brings the parents and their children back together.

Hope this helps!

John
Sean_W

Posted: Oct 28, 2008
Score: 2 Reference
I would like the ability to have substasks in a specific order and the ability to reorder. Having a 1,2,3.... by each ordered subtask would be nice as well. SW
Rob van Wees

Posted: Oct 28, 2008
Posted by sean:
I would like the ability to have substasks in a specific order and the ability to reorder. Having a 1,2,3.... by each ordered subtask would be nice as well. SW

Oh yeah! I second that!
lacko

Posted: Oct 30, 2008
If I upgrade to the Pro Account will I have the option to use my subtasks on my iPhone???
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 30, 2008
Subtasks are not currently supported on the iPhone, but we are working on it.
charles

Posted: Nov 09, 2008
It'd be great to be able to nest subtasks into sub-subtasks, etc...
gn1sxn102

Posted: Nov 11, 2008
Fantastic addition, thanks for the greatest product of its kind. However, its so very frustrating to view subtasks that are not in order. I beg for the ability to reorder subtasks (drag.n.drop). Thanks!
Erik C Bugge

Posted: Nov 13, 2008
Importance/due date of parent task automatically set by the most important/next upcomming due date of the subtasks
I love the parent and subtask functionality, because it removes the cluttering of my todo-list by hiding the smaller, manageable steps under the main task (yes, I nest subtasks)! This helps me keep an overall focus and not get burried in small, currently unimportant details all the time.

There is a major flaw in the way subtasks works, though (I think), as described in the documentation:
"When subtasks are nested, they will be hidden inside their parent task and will only be visible when you reveal them. This could cause you to forget about an important subtask."

I think of the parent task as mainly a container of different tasks/steps (subtasks) that needs to be completed in order to complete the whole assignment. These subtasks may have different due dates (and priorities), so in periods you may not need to pay attention to the "container" itself. But when a due date for a subtask is closing, you should pay attention to the (parent) task again - or more correctly; Toodledo should make sure you pay attention again by increasing the importance of the parent task accordingly (so it appears on the Hotlist again), regardless of the overall due date and priority of the parent task.

One possibility would be to explicitly set the parent task to "As subs" in order to achive this.

This message was edited Nov 13, 2008.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 13, 2008
Yes, this is a user preference that we hope to support in the future.

Thanks
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 17, 2008
A small change today: When adding a new subtask, if it doesn't have a folder, it will default to the parent's folder.
Gummi

Posted: Nov 18, 2008
Posted by Toodledo:
A small change today: When adding a new subtask, if it doesn't have a folder, it will default to the parent's folder.

Excellent, this saves time. Thanks.

This message was edited Nov 18, 2008.
chogg

Posted: Nov 21, 2008
What about adding multiple subtasks? Often I *want* it to default to the folder. Can we have something like the "Add Multiple" page, combined with the "Add Subtask" link? All my solutions right now are kind of kludgy.

Also, it'd be nice to be able to click something that would make all subtasks have the same folder as their parent.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 23, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion.
julsieann

Posted: Nov 23, 2008
Posted by John:
Ryan,

There is a way to have all subtasks grouped with their parent. Just click "Show All Subtasks" in the bar on the and it brings the parents and their children back together.

Hope this helps!

John

It seems that when the changes were made to implement the universal display/hide subtasks (which I think is great), the display now defaults to showing all subtasks as individual tasks in a folder whenever the screen is refreshed. So now when I go to a folder the subtasks are all listed out as individual tasks on the same level as parents and other task (and many subtasks don't make sense outside of the context of the parent). If I click the "Show All Subtasks" button it does sort them properly, but then anytime I refresh the screen it goes back to sorting subtasks as tasks and I have to hit the "Show All Subtasks" button again to sort with parents.

Is there a way to control the default display so that subtasks are always grouped with their parents?

--------------
FORGET IT! I figured it out! Looks like there is a setting on the Filter preferences.

This message was edited Nov 23, 2008.
dave

Posted: Nov 24, 2008
I'd like to second a few of the suggestions:

- Allow a preference to always nest, or to always flatten subtasks... this should be the default, with the toggle button changing it for the display. Similar option should exist on iphone

- Parent task should inherit from subtasks! I like this idea, a lot. Parent task should have the context/priority/due-date/star etc. of the most important subtask (this can be optional of course). Only the Folder should stay constant for the container task.

- Ordering, for me, is a nice to have but not essential.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 26, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions. But you should know that the filter setting for nest/flatten is sticky. In otherwords, it remembers your last setting, so you when you toggle it once, it will stay that way forever.

Hope that helps
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.