ForumsQuestionsProblem Importing Palm To-Do Archive

Problem Importing Palm To-Do Archive
Carlito

Posted: Dec 04, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help...

I have tried following the instructions for importing a Palm To-Do Archive file, but all I get is garbage on the screen. I had no problems importing my Palm Memo Archive - it worked fine. As the Palm Desktop only gives the option to export To-Dos as a .tda file I am not sure what else to do.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Carl
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 05, 2008
The latest version of Palm Desktop changed the file format to something proprietary that we have not been able to reverse engineer yet.

Are you sure there is no CSV of text export option? I thought they had something other than TDA.
Carlito

Posted: Dec 07, 2008
Hi,

Unfortunately, the only Export option is their TDA file format. I have even tried to see if I could export to Notes within the Palm itself, but also not an option.

What version of Desktop is supported by Toodeldo? It may be worth my while trying to install an older version.

Many thanks
Carl
Carlito

Posted: Dec 07, 2008
Hi again,

Necessity is the mother of invention - so they say. Well it's true. As a last chance option I tried to see what would happen if I tried to highlight and copy the list of ToDo's when displayed in Palm Desktop.

Not a bad idea... what I got was something like this..

>>>>

Description: Extra anchor warp
Due Date: 30/04/2008
Completed: Yes
Priority: 1
Note:
Private: No
Category: Sailing

Description: Kedge anchor
Due Date: 30/04/2008
Completed: No
Priority: 1
Note:
Private: No
Category: Sailing

<<<<

So with a little creative Excel manipulation (Text to Columns, IF formulae, etc.) I have now managed to create a CSV file that I can upload to Toodledo.

Maybe worth noting for other who may have the same problem

All the best
Carl
Welcome

Posted: Jul 15, 2009
Posted by Toodledo:
The latest version of Palm Desktop changed the file format to something proprietary that we have not been able to reverse engineer yet.

Are you sure there is no CSV of text export option? I thought they had something other than TDA.

Is this still the case?
You make no mention of this on the Palm PDA Import page
http://www.toodledo.com/connect_palm.php
which is a bit surprising.
It doesn't work for me. and it would have been good to know there was an issue before spending a lot of time on it.

Palm Desktop can only export tasks as .tda (not .csv), so the best approach seems to be via Outlook.

The copy/paste approach mentioned by Carl is very innovative, but it causes problems with notes attached to tasks which I haven't found a workaround for yet. With hundreds of tasks doing it manually in Excel is slow.

So back to my original question - do you have an import solution from Palm Desktop from 2008/2009 era?

Thanks,
N
Anders

I just found this program which says it can convert Palm Desktop export files into CSV files: http://www.livepim.com/pd-csv/index.htm
It is not free, but they say the 10 day free trial is fully functional, so that should be all you need.

EDIT: Never mind. I just saw your post in another thread that says you tried that program and it didn't work.

This message was edited Jul 15, 2009.
grsfop

I transferred all my Palm tasks to Toodledo last month. I used a program called Pocketcopy, which converted the data to Outlook format, then I was able to transfer it to Toodledo. It cost about $25, but it was well worth the savings in time and hassle. I think I had to do some minor cleaning up after the transfer, but I really can't remember so it must have been minimal.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.