ForumsQuestionsEmail import won't set fields

Email import won't set fields
gmakstutis

Posted: Mar 25, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
Hi,

I'm trying to forward emails from Gmail, adding the appropriate syntax for creating a Task in ToodleDo, but nothing seems to get set.

For example, if I add the following at the top of the message:

!!
#31/3/2011

I just get an event with do due-date and no priority set.

I've tried with UK and US date formats, but no luck.

Am I missing something?

Thanks
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 26, 2011
You need to put the codes into the subject not the body of the email.
sazziej1

Posted: Mar 27, 2011
Please can someone point me to some info about how the whole forwarding gmail to Toodledo works?
Many thanks!
simon

sazziej1

Thanks Simon! I've had a read through this but it doesn't work as I thought it did.

When I used to have Outlook as my email client, I'd drag and drop emails into calendar or tasks and set a due date. When it was due, it would pop up a reminder and you could click into it and there would be all the content of the email. I don't suppose you know if there is a way of doing something similar from gmail to toodledo?

Many thanks.
simon

Posted: Mar 29, 2011
Yes, I (believe) I use it the same way with Gmail/Toodledo. I need to actually perform what I'm about to recommend to be certain but if you edit the subject of your email, before forwarding to Toodledo, so it contains whatever syntax you require then, providing you set a due date, it will pop up with the info from your email in the Notes. By the way, if you want to default to a reminder say, Tomorrow, you can set all that in Account Settings.
Let me know how you get on and meanwhile, I'll check what I'm saying is true ;)
Kenny Schiff

Posted: Mar 31, 2011
I've tried to use the subject line syntax, and sometimes still do; however, usability wise, it's very easy to screw this up. You have to think about it too much for my tastes. Often time I want to get the email into my "waiting" status, and I hate the idea of the various TD syntax being exposed to the recipient of an email I've sent them.

I've arrived at a different system that works well for me.

1) I have a Gmail contact for my TD email address (the name field in the contact is TD, so I can just type "TD" in the "To:" field in Gmail.

2) When I want to get an email into TD I either forward the email, or if I'm replying to someone, I BCC it to the TD address.

3) In TD my default folder is something I've labeled Inbox. Any emails I forward from Gmail end up there to be processed GTD style. Then it's really easy to quickly assign status, folder, context, due dates, etc...

To make the "watched" inbox/gmail thing work for me, I run 4 tiled browsers, each open to a different view on my desktop, with the inbox in the lower right. You can see this in action here:

sazziej1

Posted: Apr 01, 2011
Wow, thanks very much! I'll have a play around.

Much appreciated!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.