ForumsQuestionsSharing Feature

Sharing Feature
Nathan Maxwell

Posted: Apr 07, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
I understand that this feature is on your to-do list. It's also reasonable not to make comments about time tables for feature releases. I can appreciate that it's one thing for users to request a feature and another for you to develop, test, and implement one.

At the same time, this very key feature has been in the works since 2008. Has it been started? Are there significant hurdles that make its completion uncertain? Is it really, actually on any to-do list? You keep adding new features, some of which seem like rather significant projects. How did they beat iOS sharing to the finish line?

I already let one pro subscription go and have been sharing one account, which effectively achieves the desired sharing capability, but with some caveats. This feature is a deal-breaker for me, but I think Toodledo is otherwise far superior to other options and so I have been willing to wait. Are we waiting for a train that isn't coming?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 07, 2012
The train is coming. One thing to keep in mind is that website development and iOS development are on different tracks with different people working on them, so just because we release something on the website doesn't mean that we aren't also working on iOS sharing. Sharing is a complicated thing, and we want to make sure that we get it right. It isn't fair to say that we haven't made progress since 2008. We have made steady improvements to sharing over the years. The missing feature at this point is having a task appear in both people's lists at the same time. This is a big technical hurdle for us, but we have some new technology that we just started using which will make this easier for us.
andi91

Posted: May 26, 2012
Score: -3 Reference
IMHO problem is far from complicated.

To implement this feature in Toodledo programmatically, it shouldn't take more than two days,
and I've included hangover which programmer had when he started coding.

This is something like MS Outlook "subtask" request. People are begging them for years to implement
it, but noooo. I guess it's like maybe 30 lines of code. I'm not going into their reasons now.

My best guess is that reason for not implementing this feature in Toodledo yet is somewhere else, not in software, but
in hardware.
Let's say that current average sync is 10 million users with Toodledo server every 60 minutes.
That's ~2777 requests per second. If they would implement sharing feature then maybe 40% of that
users would want to sync every minute. Of course you dont want to wait 1 hour to get your shared tasks.
Everybody would want to have it right away. so :

4mil users updating every minute = 66666 request/second
+
6mil every hour = 1666 req/sec

>>>= ~68000 req/sec

They would need approx. 25 times better hardware + network link to keep service running.
So they ask themselves : "Will implementing this feature boost our profit enough to pay for this upgrade costs ?".

Answer is obvious, since 2008. (nah, let's go buy ourselves some new cars...)

Who knows, maybe 2035 will be our lucky year !
jdmonahan

Posted: Jul 16, 2012
I too purchased the Pro service for the sole purpose of sharing with my wife on our iphones. Please implement this!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2  

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.