ForumsQuestionsWe want an official Android app !!!

We want an official Android app !!!
karstenreisdorf

Posted: Jun 09, 2013
Score: -1 Reference
Honestly, I don't think that the toodledo guys are really interested in an Android App at all. Guys: You are still hiring iOS developers, but you're not looking for people with Android experience. Very telling.

However, why should they? I've bought UTDL (which is ugly, but great), and recently switched to DGT GTD, which looks much better, lacks some functions I don't use, but can duplicate tasks with their subtasks. I'm happy. And probably most users are, using one of the numerous nice 3rd party apps.

You don't spend lots of money on developing something that will probably be only a minor contender between what is already there.

If you use Android, remember: It IS Open Source. Which means that you don't cry for some big company with a broken apple in the logo to do something, but take a look around and see what others have done, and maybe do something yourself if you have the ability to (which I don't have, sadly).
sprouty76

Posted: Jun 10, 2013
Score: 2 Reference
Posted by karstenreisdorf:
Honestly, I don't think that the toodledo guys are really interested in an Android App at all. Guys: You are still hiring iOS developers, but you're not looking for people with Android experience. Very telling.

However, why should they? I've bought UTDL (which is ugly, but great), and recently switched to DGT GTD, which looks much better, lacks some functions I don't use, but can duplicate tasks with their subtasks. I'm happy. And probably most users are, using one of the numerous nice 3rd party apps.

You don't spend lots of money on developing something that will probably be only a minor contender between what is already there.

If you use Android, remember: It IS Open Source. Which means that you don't cry for some big company with a broken apple in the logo to do something, but take a look around and see what others have done, and maybe do something yourself if you have the ability to (which I don't have, sadly).

The OS being open source has nothing to do with whether individual apps are open source. You can go and create an app on iOS if you're so inclined in exactly the same way as on Android (obviously the actual development of those apps are different, and there are different approval models, but those are details really)

Don't get me wrong, the lack of an official android app is still massively disappointing, and the mobile website (which is meant to obviate the need for such) is barely usable even on a brand new tablet. There are lots of bugs that I've raised that never get resolved, and seeing the News forum being full of updates for the iOS app is particularly galling in that context.

And Jake insisting that they can get a web developer to do the Android app as "they're both Java" (as I think he put it) shows how little effort they're going to be putting into developing an app.
Matthew Tarpy

Posted: Jun 21, 2013
Score: 0 Reference
Posted by Jake:
Its not like hiring a carpenter to fix your car. Web developer and Android developer use the same skills. Any good web developer could also do android development without trouble and we will figure this out in the interview process.

Um, sorry, no. I work in professional services (consulting) in retail eCom. They guys slinging code in Hybris are most definitely NOT the guys writing the Android (or iOS) app. I've managed both types of projects (just did a set of mobile apps at the end of last year) and they are massively different problem spaces.

That being said, your roadmap and product goals are your own. If you don't want to spend time on Android, that's absolutely your right. I hope, however, that you want to spend time on Android. I _LOVE_ your iOS app, it's gorgeous, easy to use, and it's a rock-solid guarantee that everything works and syncs correctly. I currently use DGT, and while it is really awesome, I yearn for having on Android what I bought off of you for iOS. So, please! :)

This message was edited Jun 21, 2013.
oletros

Posted: Jun 25, 2013
Posted by Matthew Tarpy:
Posted by Jake:
That being said, your roadmap and product goals are your own. If you don't want to spend time on Android, that's absolutely your right.

This, but they have to be honest and say that they won't develop an Android app and not like now, they have spent two full years saying that they are working in an app and then they say less than a month ago that they have sidetracked the project.

And nothing tells more clearly that they are not committed to Android than that job listing.
Bruno FTS

Posted: Jul 15, 2013
I consider mayself a power user, with pro subscription in 3rd year.
I am totally happy with http://www.todolist.co/

Not for the optics but the productivity. I even prefer it for review and reschedule to the web app.

give it a try, you may start your quest for the ultimate generic Android app.
mojitochica

Posted: Sep 26, 2013
I've switched to TickTick. It has a web interface and mobile apps for Android and iPhones and supports advanced reminders. Not sure if supports subtasks, since I never needed to use them. Give it a try.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5  

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.