ForumsQuestionsVisually edting tasks on a(ny) calendar view

Visually edting tasks on a(ny) calendar view
jalabmyid

Posted: May 07, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
there are many discussion on how ical not supporting 2 ways sync, or maybe you should implement caldav, and so on.

I would like to take a step back and try to see the real functional requirement:

My day is made of 10 working hours. in these 10 hours I have few meetings. therefore I can only plan 7 hours of tasks, and they need to be planned between those meetings.
The best way to do this would be to have the tasks displayed as objects in a calendar, and being able to drag them around just like we do with any calendar entry.

Right now there is no view (neither in TD nor in GCAL, assuming we sync with GCAL) that allows me to deal with this situation this way.

first, total time: right now if i want to know how many hours of tasks I am planning in a day, in TD I am going to the ALL view, play with my tasks, then go to the TODAY view to see if the total time is realistic. and I need to mentally to the subtraction of my meetings time in GCAL.

Now, I want to schedule them BETWEEN meetings.
I go to gcal, I look at the time of the meetings, then I go back to TD and set the time of tasks, accordingly.
Then I have to way GCAL to refresh and show me the TASKS as I actually scheduled.

Noway, it just doesnt work.

So you know how I eventually started doing it? after I order my list of Tasks on TD, I open CGAL and COPY MANUALLY all the tasks one by one into CGAL events, that I can then move freely on the calendar. If hopefully I complete them, , I go back to TD and closed them. If not I need to loop back and update on both side manually.

This is such an unefficient way of doing it , coz I have to re-do each entry twice.
I am starting to miss the MS exchange server we used in my previuos company. and to miss Exchange, it means we are really bad set!

So, either we are able to edit TD's taks on GCAL.
Or you build a calendar view where not only we can edit tasks but also we can import other calendars,
or we create a new calendar in GCAL that syncs with TD using a third-party.

I dont know how, but we need to see and edit the tasks on a calendar together with other appointment.
Sad to say, just like in outlook.

I am available to provide you support if you need.
thanks
clango

+1 by me.

I think the Outlook set up suggested by David Allen could be ideal.

https://secure.davidco.com/store/catalog/GTD-AND-OUTLOOK-2003-SETUP-GUIDE-LETTER-SIZE-p-16173.php

Half page calendar with the calendarized tasks. Other half page contexts, click on it, open the context and you can see all your list.

This message was edited May 07, 2011.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the feedback. We'll think about a way to do this in Toodledo.
dreamstonz

I've been struggling w the same issue. I want to calendarize (who knew that was a verb!?) my tasks so I can manage my time more efficiently between appointments. I've tried to pick a start date, start time, and length and the adjust my hotlist sorting so that I can just flip back and forth between iCal and td. But as the two above bemoan, it is a very cumbersome way of planning a day!! Administrator, do more than think about it, fix it please!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 08, 2011
Thanks for the suggestion. We can't comment on a timeframe for implementation, but this is on our to-do list.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.