ForumsQuestionsstars, great idea!

stars, great idea!
Roman

Posted: Apr 10, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
wow! a great way to quickly mark "next actions" on my projects! i´m glad you implemented that.
it would be great to have an option in account settings, so the user can choose if the tasks are also to show up in the hotlist. that way not only important and due-soon-tasks show up but also starred ones. what do you think?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We plan to incorporate the star into the Hotlist and Scheduler, but for now, it just has its own tab called "starred" that you can access from the main view.
robert

While you are touching the code for the hotlist, let me make a suggestion:

I think that you should try to provide some sort of filtering for the hotlist so people can really customize what goes in the hotlist. The hotlist is my bread and butter for Toodledo and I keep it open on the Firefox Extension as well as have it emailed to me daily.

Filtering such as:

Due Date in 14 days
OR
Starred
OR
At Least Medium Priority
OR
tagged with 'x'

Maybe you could just let people setup one or more "filters" that are "OR"'d together. The tags would be useful for GTD. I noticed today that a different site (Nozbe) really focuses on showing you what your "next activity" is. To accomplish this in Toodledo I am tagging tasks as "next" Nozbe's main screen is a list of your next activities so the "Hotlist" should probably have a way of getting those in there.

The "one or more filters OR'd together" could be implemented just like a bunch of "Advanced Search" screens OR'd together.
Qrystal

Posted: Apr 11, 2008
Roman, that's a good idea, using stars for Next Actions!! After all, there should always be a Next Action set on each project, right? Hmmmm!!

What I'm using stars for is to mark just a small number of things that I'm going to focus on for the time being. I suppose it's kinda like the Scheduler in that sense, except I am selecting the items that go on it... so it's also completely unlike the Scheduler. :P

Maybe once I get my Hotlist down to a reasonable number of items (and yes, everything on there NEEDS to be there, I check and tweak regularly!), I'll be looking for a new use for the stars.

Heck, and maybe once new functionality is put in for the stars, I'll want to use them in other ways.

But for now -- they are exactly perfect for what I need!!!!! I am completely giddy about how well they're working for me already, and they've barely been out for a day.
Will

Hi I know this is prbably really stupid but i can't see how to turn on or use stars and no, i'm not in classic mode.

Also, for some reason, the check box for a task now appears on a line on its own and beneath that is the task rather it all being neatly on one line. Can anyone help me with those two things??

Thanks a million
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Will, I have noticed this on a few web browsers. Hit refresh on your web browser and it should pick up the changes.
jdoree

The addition of stars is great.

I live in the All Tasks view sorted by Priority. My only suggestion would be to remove or change the color of the 'warning' type icon that is on colored bars for each priority heading. The yellow icons detract from the stars ability to stand out.
Qrystal

Posted: Apr 14, 2008
It looks like several of the icons on the headings are yellow, so that would be a bigger change than just changing the one. Not to mention that caution/warning signs make most sense when yellow. And it also seems to be standard that "starring" things uses a yellow star (@ Twitter, Gmail, etc.)

I think that maybe the stars aren't exactly meant to "stand out" as much as they are meant to let you easily collect and review only the starred tasks.

But if Toodledo decides that the stars could stand out more, maybe a choice (within Account Settings) of star style would be nice.

An option for animated twinkly stars would be cool... :P
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.