ForumsQuestionsCalendar Sync & Archive?

Calendar Sync & Archive?
corysimek

Posted: Dec 28, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
I think I may have finally found my solution, with ToodleDo online & your iPhone App. But a few questions I am not clear about:

1) If I want to use the ToodleDo calendar as my primary online calendar, can I sync my calendar events on my iPhone with my ToodleDo calendar?

2) Archiving past events is critical for me, how far back can I archive my calendar events? I need to save all of my data on my calendar, if an event is not worth saving I delete it, but if it is I need to save it forever.

3) Same with Tasks, if a completed task is not important I delete it right away, but if it is important for reference I need to save it forever. Is that possible?

Thanks!
corysimek

Sorry I have one more critical fllowup before I can make the commitment to using ToodleDo as my big solution: I have a bunch of completed Palm OS tasks in my desktop Palm archive. I see your instructions for importing tasks, but is there anything to be aware of when importing completed tasks? What if I import tasks that were marked completed 3 years ago, will that work? I want all of my stuff, past present and future, in one place.

Thanks again!
corysimek

Sorry, FINAL question: can I also import my calendar events from my Palm OS files, and have them in my history on ToodleDo calendar? Sorry,l all of these questions are related to whether I can use ToodleDo as my one stop place for all of my tasks and events. Thanks
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Hi,
Unfortunately, it isn't possible to sync with iCal on your iPhone because Apple does not allow it. If they allow it in the future, we will certainly support it. Currently, it is only possible to have a one-way sync to iCal on the desktop.

It is possible to archive your completed tasks forever. You would need to purchase a Pro Plus subscription to do this, however.

And, yes it should be possible to import all of your Palm tasks. Feel free to give it a try and see how it works for you. It should be possible to import the Palm calendar events as well, but I haven't tried this. If Palm provides an CSV export option, then it should be easy.

Hope that helps
corysimek

Thanks for the reply. So far so good.. but big problem on my part - I followed your instructions for exporting and then importing Tasks from my Palm as a TDA file, and on the ToodleDo side it imports a bunch of junk.. notes are garbled, titles of tasks are all messed up, and due dates are set to 1969.. unusable.

Am I doing something wrong importing?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, it sounds like you aren't exporting the right file from Palm Desktop. When you do the import, you have a chance to preview the information before you accept it. If it looks like gibberish, you shouldn't hit the "save" button.

If you need to delete all those tasks, you can either use the "delete all tasks" link in account settings, or you can use the multi-edit tool. Once you have it cleaned up, you can try importing again.

Hope that helps.
corysimek

Posted: Jan 04, 2009
Sorry to be such a pest, but it still imports the garbled text, nothing right. SUch a simple process, am doing exactly what your instructions say to do.

Can it be some problem with my Palm desktop software? Do I need a certain version to export properly or something?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 05, 2009
It's hard to say without seeing the file. It's possible that newer version of Palm Desktop have changed the file format for the TDA file. We had to reverse engineer this file, so if they changed it, that would certainly cause the problem. If your version of Palm Desktop has a CSV export option, you could try that.
reg2

Posted: Jan 24, 2009
I have the same problem, getting garbled information on the preview screen. I have the latest version of Palm Desktop (v. 6.2.2), which was needed for Vista. Only export option is .tda
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 24, 2009
After doing some research, we have learned that Palm did change the file-format of their TDA file. Our importer will only work with the old format. The new file format is so far undecipherable to us. We had to reverse engineer the old file, so it will take some time to get the new file format working.

There might be some sort of converter out there to convert the new TDA files to CSV or other human readable formats. If there is, please try that and let us (and everyone else) know.

Thanks
reg2

Posted: Jan 25, 2009
Thanks for confirming the version change. I exported using the earlier 4.x Palm Desktop version on another PC and it worked fine. Only issues I noticed were that tasks without dates got a future 2031 year, and recurring tasks were not set as such. Both issues can be corrected manually after the import.
Welcome

Posted: Jul 15, 2009
Posted by Toodledo:
There might be some sort of converter out there to convert the new TDA files to CSV or other human readable formats. If there is, please try that and let us (and everyone else) know.

I thought I'd hit the jackpot with PD-CSV Converter from LivePIM Software. This is all this tool is supposed to do, and they charge $17 for it, but it suffers from the same problem.

The Toodledo importer doesn't work with me for Palm Desktop 4.1.4. I'll see if I can follow reg2's advice and find an older version.
One question - if I get 100+ tasks with the date 2031, can I bulk change these to undated?

Thanks,
M
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.