ForumsQuestionsCould I use TD as my sort-of calendar? new user wonders...

Could I use TD as my sort-of calendar? new user wonders...
Rosana_

Posted: May 28, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
Hi everyone --- I have been a Windows person from the beginning of Windows but recently I got myself a MacBook Pro and am now trying to figure out how to do my time management in a way that works on both my new Mac and my XP desktop. I have used software for Windows from Time and Chaos for years. It does not have a mac version and I don't want to run windows on the mac.

So Toodledo seems to me that it fits the bill for having one setup. But because I am used to software that has a calendar and to-do lists together, I have been surpised not to come across this combo. I have read the threads about synching with Google Calendar and ical, but they didn't exactly inspire me to use either.

I am happily using Evernote to keep a lot of things together on both platforms, but they don't have anything like the time management tools I like to use. (Used to teach time mgment myself.)

My husband and I do have a physical date book in our kitchen that all our social events, massage appointments, etc., get listed in. So I am wondering if the minimal calendar features here in toodledo might be enough.

wondering what thoughts anyone has on all this? Small amounts of money are not a problem. If I get into using toodledo, will definitely upgrade.

Thanks in advance!

This message was edited May 28, 2011.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 28, 2011
Personally, I do fine without a graphical calendar. I just look at my list sorted by due-date and I can see the tasks in the order that they happen, but it will come down to personal preference. I would recommend trying it for a few weeks and see if it works for you.

We also have plans to improve our calendar support in future updates.
Rosana_

Posted: May 29, 2011
That was fast! Thanks. Will try it this week and see how it goes.
j2020

Posted: May 31, 2011
Like you, I've struggled to find a modern solution that gracefully combines calendar and to do list features (I used to use Palm, which had that capability). I have found that for my purposes, Toodledo alone does not suffice. Maybe it's because we are a busy family with many events to keep track of each day (in addition to countless to-do's), but we simply needed more robust calendaring and sharing. Our solution (currently) is to use Google calendar in addition to Toodledo. Google calendar is nice because you can access it from any browser (solves your Apple/PC problem) and it also syncs automatically with a large variety of devices (iPhone, etc).

The best feature is that you can selectively share your calendars. Thus my wife and I can share a "Family" calendar and a "Potential Events" calendar and a "Birthdays" calendar, and any change/addition one of us makes is immediately and automatically reflected in the other's calendars. You can also choose which calendars to view, so although I have have read access to her work calendar, I can choose to keep it hidden most of the time for less clutter on my own devices. I do the same thing with some third-party calendars too, for example I'm synced with the calendar for my fitness center's hours and events, but I can choose to keep that information hidden most of time so it doesn't clutter my view.

There are two weak points in the system. One is the lack of robust to-do sharing. Some items get dumped to the calendar that probably shouldn't, simply because it's the easiest way to share them with each other. Hopefully Toodledo will be enhancing to-do sharing functions soon to make things a little more seamless. The other weak point is that the calendar seems more "important" than the to-do list. You tend to check the calendar to make sure you're where you need to be, but it's easy to let things slip a little on the to-do list if you aren't vigilant. High priority dated to-do's walk a fuzzy line between being to-do list items or being calendar-worthy.
Salgud

Posted: May 31, 2011
@Rosana

I totally sympathize with your plight! AFAIK, and I've looked long and hard, there is no really good calendar app for Mac. iCal is slightly inferior to a wall calendar (wall calendar has a pretty picture at least). The only good thing about iCal is that it syncs with many other, far superior calendar apps, like Google Calendar.

Google Calendar does most everything I want, but it doesn't really do much of a task list. I got so spoiled by DateBk on my old Palm, and still miss this great app that combined Task List, Calendar, Appointment book and Memos. Imagine, you could connect a contact with an appointment! And that same contact or appointment could be connected to a task! Or a Memo!

So now I use Google Cal for my appointments, and TD for my tasks. When I had my iPhone, I had Calgoo (yes, horrible name) which auto-synched with Google Calendar via CalDav, and worked flawlessly for appointments.

I've used TD for almost a year now, and, as much as I like it, I don't think it would work for my calendar at all. But go ahead, give it a try, and let us know how it works out. Maybe I'm just not thinking outside of the box enough.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.