ForumsQuestionsIs there any problem with using tags instead of contexts?

Is there any problem with using tags instead of contexts?

Posted: Jun 10, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
Hello all,

I'm transferring my GTD system into Toodledo and I often use multiple contexts per action (@computer, @net for example).

If I decide to use tags as contexts to enable me to keep doing this, do I loose any functionality that 'official' contexts provide?

I'll also probably use tags like ~mark and ~dave to tag an action to a person. Any problems doing this if I'm using contexts as tags too?

I may also use tags (with a different prefix) for 'Areas of life' (again, occasionally a project can exist in more than one so contexts are out again) .. it may get a bit crowded in the tag selector, but is all of this ok to do and 'safe' from any future updates breaking anything?

Toodledo Admin
Posted: Jun 10, 2011
There should not be any problem with using tags as contexts. There is nothing special about contexts except that you can control sharing permissions on a per-context basis and not on a per-tag basis.

Posted: Jun 12, 2011
Thanks for that reply. The sharing comment helped me to decide how to use contexts.

So, I'm now using tags in the way that I used to use contexts (@email, @calls, @out etc). And I'm using what Toodledo calls contexts to separate areas of my life.

I'll then hopefully be able to share those relevant areas with relevant people.

Great stuff.

You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.