ForumsQuestionsProblem w/E-Mail Reports & Subtasks

Problem w/E-Mail Reports & Subtasks
replytoken

Posted: Jul 12, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
I have attempted to use the E-Mail Reports function to mail a folder that has tasks and subtasks because I wanted to copy and paste that information into another program as an outline. The e-mail message contained the tasks and subtasks, but they were not properly nested, nor were they in any order that I could understand. Is there some logic as to how the tasks and subtasks are ordered when they are sent in an e-mail message? I would have thought that they would have retained their order as they appear in the program.

Thanks,

--Ken
Jake

Toodledo Founder
When you email a folder, the tasks and subtasks are sent flattened out and sorted by due-date and priority.
replytoken

Thank you for the prompt reply. Is there any way to export the contents of a folder and have the tasks and subtasks maintain their outline structure? The items that I want to export do not have due dates, and they all have the same priority.

Thanks,

--Ken
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Yes, you can export the folder via an XML file. You can find this in our "Tools & Services" page under "Import/Export".
JCarl

I have found a PDF print driver called Black Ice that can be configured to create a PDF output and open email with it as an attachment at the same time. It is a little pricey but does a great job of printing just about anything you want from Toodledo. The alternative of course is a free PDF creator like Bullzip, save the file and then email to self. Just some thoughts.
replytoken

Posted: Aug 02, 2011
I am revisiting this issue as I am trying to export a variety of tasks and subtasks out of TD so they can be imported into a more appropriate outlining program (as the items are not really tasks, but lists). I have tried using all of the available formats, including XML, and while Excel will automatically create a table, it still does not easily recognize and allow you to re-establish subtasks to their parent tasks.

Now, I appreciate that data can be exported in three formats, four if you include mailing folders, but I do not understand why it so difficult to get data in a tab indented format that can easily be pasted/imported into a program like Word, Excel or my old stand-by, Ecco? Is this too complicated because we have columnar data in addition to an outline? I might feel a bit less frustrated about this situation with a bit more understanding of the problem/challenge.

Thanks,

--Ken
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 02, 2011
You can export as a CSV file, which can be easily read by Excel. It won't maintain the the subtask behavior though because subtasks require nested columns, which isn't supported by CSV or Excel. For example, if you indented the subtasks, then all of their columns would be off by one when importing. The due-date would go into the folder column, and the folder column would go into the priority column, etc.
jfalk_1319575316

Posted: Nov 01, 2011
My use case is a weekly/monthly report. Please make it easier to do this. Redoing the indents(outline) Is a lot of unnecessary re-work for some of us that like the Toodledo system.

Having it in in simple word or html bulleted list would be fine. Your exports or styled outputs are no good for getting into Word for editing.

Thank you.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.