ForumsQuestions"Warning: You have a browser plugin installed" doesn't go away

"Warning: You have a browser plugin installed" doesn't go away
sonnywu

Posted: Jul 26, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
Today it is somewhat a surprise to me as I am new to Userstyle plugin with this site, after trying a few I discovered Toodledo's new GUI and the warning.

Uninstalled the Userstyle plugin from Chrome but the warning won't go away. Anyone has same experience?
aleksndr

Posted: Jul 27, 2011
I've also been getting this persistent warning message even though don't have any userstyles plugins at all.

It's a bit annoying.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 27, 2011
You must have some other plugin that is interacting with the content on Toodledo. Which plugins do you have installed? Which browser?
aleksndr

Posted: Jul 28, 2011
I'm using Chrome

Extensions:
AddThis
Aperture
Awesome screenshot
Better google tasks (I've disabled this)
Clip to Evernote
Chrome to phone
Mousestroke
Neat bookmarks
Wolfram alpha
leeuwen

FYI: I have NO extension installed in Chrome and still get this message (will post a bug with screenshot).
sonnywu

Posted by Toodledo:
You must have some other plugin that is interacting with the content on Toodledo. Which plugins do you have installed? Which browser?

Another way to solve this puzzle maybe letting users know the list of plugins that may interfere with Toodledo.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We don't have a list, and we cannot access the list of plugins. All we can tell is that there is something that is modifying the page. If you don't see anything wrong, it is ok to ignore the warning.
Catherine

Posted: Jul 29, 2011
The problem is that clicking on the link to dismiss the warning does nothing (in Chrome) so I'm constantly seeing the message each time I refresh the page.

It's really annoying
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 29, 2011
Whatever plugin you are using is modifying the webpage in some way. If you don't see anything wrong, then it is probably ok to ignore the warning, but we still need to present it because it could cause something to go wrong in the future.

It is also a security concern, since a malicious plugin could be tracking what you type or logging your passwords.
Catherine

Posted: Jul 30, 2011
But you have an option that says "You can click here to temporarily disable the plugin for this page only. Or click here to dismiss this message."

When I click "here" to dismiss the message, the message still remains. It's really annoying. I don't have a malicious plugin, in fact there is no plugin that interferes with it. I don't run a userscript or style. But even if I did, I don't need that warning all the time when the site is clearly working.

It's a distraction, not what we need when we're trying to get things done.

My concern is from your last post, it is not felt that this is something that needs fixing. A constant error message warning me about something that MIGHT be a problem, but probably isn't is a bug not a feature.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 01, 2011
We will continue to find the best way to do this as we move forward. Its kind of a new feature, and I understand that it might be distracting to see it there at the top of the screen, but it doesn't affect anything, so try to ignore it if it doesn't apply to you, until we figure out a better way to do this.

We think of this like the "check engine" light on your car. Sure, you can ignore it for awhile, and you might be able to ignore it forever, but it does indicate that there is some underlying defect that needs to be understood.

We only display the warning when the webpage has been modified from what we sent to your browser. Something modified it, and that may be ok, but we think that you show be aware of it.
bkamobil

The warning persists in Google Chrome, even when all plugins are disabled (Options | Under the hood | Privacy - Content Settings | Plug-ins - Block All and after that a browser restart). No warning in FireFox.
piyush_soni

Webpage might be modified by add-ons like Adblocker (harmless), dictionary lookup on text-select addons, highlighting all the occurrences of the word, language translation add-ons and many many more, which don't do anything bad to the webpage, but still have to modify it. If you want, you can check only critical portions of the webpage, because just changing the webpage might be done by 50% of the extension hosted on mozilla.

[Important]: Moreover, when I have stylish running and it is modifying the page CSS in a bad manner - your check doesn't say anything to me. It is only when I KNOW that it is stylish, I go on to disable it - and everything becomes ok - is when the page suddenly detects that an add-on is running now. So the whole point of having this check is lost.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
I am unable to get Chrome to give the warning with plugins disabled. I tested the latest version on both Mac and PC. I'll keep looking into it, and I will find a way to make the warning less "in-your-face". In the meantime, please just ignore the warning. It doesn't interfere with anything.
Tim

Posted: Aug 11, 2011
I found that the Feedly extension seemed to be causing me to get the warning and not be able to get rid of it. I uninstalled it and the warning went away.
garyo

Posted: Aug 12, 2011
I made a little stylish styler to take out the drop-shadows on the hi/top priorities in grid mode, and I get this warning due to that. My style is really simple:

.pri3, .pri2 { text-shadow: none; }
.dim { color: #ccc; }

but it's enough to trigger the warning persistently. (As others have said, the "dismiss" link doesn't dismiss it.)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 12, 2011
The dismiss link will only minimize the warning. It is not possible to make it go away.

If you are certain that the website is working ok, then you can ignore the warning or add another line to your stylish style to hide the warning.
Kevin.mullet

Posted: Aug 22, 2011
I practically live in toodledo.
I've also found this "check engine light" annoying, and I've found the responses from Toodledo Administrator condescending.

In my particular case, I found that when I disabled the Feedly extension, the warning no longer occurred. I think the warning probably occurred because Feedly was putting an RSS logo watermark in the bottom right corner of the page.

Best of luck to everyone trying to get this alert off their page.

Toodledo is a world class tool, and in every other case I've seen, support is outstanding. In this particular instance, though, it seems at least to this user that the customer service needs a bit of an attitude adjustment.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 25, 2011
I am sorry that you don't like the "check engine light", but it has an important function. Did you know that the Feedly plugin has complete access to all of your tasks and account information? Feedly is probably a safe plugin to use, but there are many malicious plugins out there that could harvest your passwords and send your account information to someone who might do something bad with it. We feel like this is important to warn people about.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.