ForumsQuestionsHow do I used Folders in the Notebook with the new interface

How do I used Folders in the Notebook with the new interface
carla

Posted: Jul 26, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
Using the new online interface, how do I assign my notes in Notebook to Folders. I'm still able to assign the notes to folders using the iPhone Toodledo App.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 26, 2011
To put a notebook page into a folder, click on the notebook, then click "edit" and then select the new folder from the drop down menu on the right side.
zgn

Posted: Jul 27, 2011
I don't see a drop down menu for notes.

Also, what is really missing in the new design, is grouping the notes by folders. I have quite a bunch of notes, and they are categorized in some folders. This is still displayed nice in the iPhone app, but on the new website I just see a long list of all my notes from all folders.
alexandremrj_2

when editing a note, to the right side of the title you can see a dropdown to choose folders.
Kevin Hardcastle

Score: 1 Reference
Can someone elaborate on how the "notebook feature" is to be effectively used?

Obviously, I can write notes about a folder(?) but beyond that - what's the practical utility to this feature? ..Can I get a 'for instance' how I might use it to improve productivity, etc?

I ask b/c it's pretty predominantly displayed now so I figure it must be important.

(p.s. there's not much in the 'help' section describing the feature.. I guess b/c its' use is supposed to be intuitive?)

This message was edited Jul 27, 2011.
Salgud

I use Evernote for most of what the TD notes might be used for as it is more feature rich. That said, I do use TD notes for information relevant to TD. When I was beta testing TD, I kept my notes in a note in TD, it was just very handy. Right now I've been inspired by the new version of TD that I'm aslo revamping my entire TD system and making it more "trusted". I'm keeping my notes on how to do it in the Notebook.

If I wasn't using EN for my notes, I could use the TD notes instead. I like/need a place to keep miscellaneous information on my computer that just doesn't belong anywhere in particular. It's like the junk drawer in my kitchen, and in most kitchens, where everything that doesn't go in it's own special place gets put.

For example, when I reserve a conference room here at work, there is standard information I have to submit with each request. I keep that list in my notes. Important emails that I will want to have long after they've been auto-deleted out of my mailbox. Instructions on how to do the more complex things I do on a regular basis. Links to commonly visited websites or websites that it's helpful to have some notes about, not just a link.

Ever have to look up how to do something tricky in Word, like Mail Merge? (At one time, M$ got mail merges down to where they were relatively easy, and since then, have made them progressively more and more difficult. I call them "dehancements".) I keep notes on how to do these things, partly because I only do them every few months, just long enough to forget how I did them last.

So any information that doesn't have an obvious home, especially small scraps of information. Once you start using it, new ways to use Notes will become increasingly apparent.

Best of luck.
Folke X

Thanks Salgud,

I had also been wondering what they were for, and now I know.

So far I have been using -1 Reference tasks for this purpoae, with the actual info in the task notes. I can see that by having them in the notebook instead these things will be quicker to find.
Kevin Hardcastle

@Salgud - thanks for this. very helpful!!
so now that I "get it": yeah, I use Evernote for this functionality.
Salgud

Just a reminder, if you do use EN, you can now paste a Note Link from EN into the Notes field of a task in TD. Can be very handy.
zgn

Posted: Aug 06, 2011
I found out why I could not see folders: I had disabled them in the settings.
sbs

Posted: Aug 07, 2011
@Salgud--I tried that out yesterday but couldn't get the EN note link to open in TD. Have you been successful?

This message was edited Aug 07, 2011.
Salgud

Posted: Aug 07, 2011
Posted by sbs:
@Salgud--I tried that out yesterday but couldn't get the EN note link to open in TD. Have you been successful?

When I first tested this a month or two ago, it worked great. Now I can't get it to work either. Something broken since then? Maybe with the new UI?
alexandremrj_2

Posted: Aug 08, 2011
I use EN for my notes and I don't see any problem opening links.
Salgud

Posted: Aug 08, 2011
Should have mentioned in my post above, that was from my iMac at home. Can't test it here at work because we are completely blocked from the EN cloud app. Maybe that has something to do with it?
Nightveil

Posted: Sep 05, 2011
Posted by zgn:
I found out why I could not see folders: I had disabled them in the settings.

Where is that in settings? I can't find an entry for Folders.

Thanks.
Folke X

It's the 10th thing in the list - the 2nd under Tasks.
Nightveil

Ah, I see it now. Thanks, folks.

Shouldn't that be on by default, though?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 06, 2011
Folders are on by default. You must have turned them off at some point.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.