ForumsQuestionsPlease fix the left sidebar!

Please fix the left sidebar!
tim.dorsch

Posted: Jul 30, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
It's mystifying to me that you would remove horizontal real estate from your UI. I'm sure a lot of people, like myself, primarily used Toodledo with the old sidebar collapsed.
JCarl

Posted: Jul 30, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
If there is any "correction" to this I hope it is optional because I love the left sidebar especially in long list of Folders. I can understand preferences though.
tim.dorsch

Posted: Jul 31, 2011
It seems like they could make it function like the old sidebar--where it could be viewable or collapsed. Seems pretty simple to me... not sure why this wasn't part of the initial redesign or why it hasn't been fixed yet.
Salgud

They explained elsewhere that they thought that most people would want the left side tabs viewable all the time, since they would get used more frequently than the menu items on the old hidden left-side menus. They apparently guessed wrong.

I also wonder if they, like myself, tend to forget that there are plenty of people out there still using 19", even 17" monitors. I have a 20" at home, just replaced my tiny little 20" :) at work with a 22". So the new version fits on both of mine just fine. But there's still a lot of people out there with smaller monitors on which the new format would definitely be cramped.

How times have changed. My first home computer, bought in '87, which was a Compaq clone (so-called "portable" at 40 lbs) had a 9" monitor. Smaller than an iPad.
vihendi

I use grid view. I have to admit it fits horizontally on my screen (and I work with a 14" notebook screen). However, I always try to use only the minimum number of columns.

I liked a comment made by a different user, however: Hiding the sidebar would even make him (and me) more productive. I want to concentrate on a list. And removing whatever type of clutter helps with that.

So, I know there are people who have to scroll horizontally and for workflow reasons, too, I give this a +1.

(there are so many people having this wish, I am pretty confident it won't be ignored)
Salgud

Posted: Aug 01, 2011
From posts I've seen from TD (is that always Jake?), I suspect they're already working on it.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Our statistics showed that fewer than 5% of our users had ever used the collapsable sidebar, so we didn't think that removing it would be such a big deal, especially since we were putting such valuable information into that spot. It was an underused feature, and it was very difficult to incorporate into the new design. The subset of people who were using this feature have been very vocal, so when you read these forums you might get a skewed impression.

That said, we now understand that there are a good number of people who depended on this feature, so we are looking into bringing it back, if we can.
ben

I am one of the 5% that collapsed the left side to gain back screen real-estate. However I was able to regain enough space with the new layout by shrinking the width of several columns. Of course depening on how many columns you have selected to be active YMMV as to whether you can get back to one screen wide without needing to scroll.

I am not put off by what is on the left now and based on my use of folders I would no longer be colapsing anyway.

Thanks,
-Ben
jameskbartlett

Posted: Aug 02, 2011
I am also one of those who would love to see the collapsable sidebar reinstated.

The refreshed UI looks great, otherwise!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.