ForumsQuestionsSuper slow task notes

Super slow task notes
Folke X

Posted: Aug 01, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
Sometimes, but not always, it takes several seconds per character to enter task notes, and if I type ahead more than say 10 characters the whole text entry session gets aborted with the text truncated.

This does not appear when entering Forum posts or anywhere else, but when I move back to task note editing it remains slow.)

(I am using FF 5.0.)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
I was unable to replicate this issue. It might be a conflict with one of your browser plugins. Please try starting Firefox up in safe-mode and see if that solves the problem. If so, then it was one of the plugins. If not, then let us know and we will try to replicate it again.
Folke X

I'll keep an eye open and see if I can discern any such dependencies or other patterns.

I am not sure if I can replicate it myself - the problem just comes, stays for a while, and then goes away. The only thing I know for sure is it never happened with the old UI.

(I don't have any plugins except Java.)
Folke X

Posted: Aug 02, 2011
Here is som more info:

It appears, just as you suggested, that safe mode solves the problem, and it solves another problem, too, that I have not reported - the fact that the experimental scrolling is very "jumpy".

In safe mode the experimental scrolling is smooth, and task note editing is also smooth. Neither of them shows any sign of lagging.

Only when I start in safe mode do I get rid of the lagging problem (for both task editing and experimental scrolling).

It makes no difference if, upon launch of FF with the -safe-mode switch set, I check the "disable plugins" box or not. As long as I continue in safe the problem is gone.

(I have also inactivated the only plugin I had (Java Console) from within Firefox proper, but this alone does not solve the problem.)

It would seem that the lagging arises from something else that takes place on the page, something which does not take place when in safe mode, whatever that could be.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
The only thing that safe mode does (as far as I know) is to disable plugins. So there must be some hidden plugin that it causing the web browser to slow down.
Folke X

You could be right. I'll keep an eye open and see what I can find.

But please bear in mind (in case you notice someting similar in other areas):

1) Only task notes and experimental scroll seem to be affected (in my case).

Other similar parts of Toodledo work flawlessly, e.g. Notebook and Forum entries can be typed at full speed, and normal "full screen" scrolling (not experimental) is always smooth. Neither do any other sites appear to be affected (e.g. Gmail etc).

2) This problem started to occur when the new UI was introduced.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 03, 2011
Its difficult for us to solve a problem that we can't replicate, and so far we haven't experienced these problems, but we'll keep trying.
Folke X

Posted: Aug 03, 2011
Yes, I know. Lets us hope we find a solution one day.

Anyhow, let me tell you that I also tried with IE and Chrome today, and I did not have the problem with either of those.

Therefore, in my mind, the problem seems specific to Firefox (or my Firefox setup, however naked it is), or maybe a mismatch somehow between Firefox and the new Tasks page - it seems that no other web pages are affected.

Any other Firefox users out there? Have you noticed any lagging when editing task notes? Or when using experimental scrolling?

This message was edited Aug 03, 2011.
jodyputt

Posted: Aug 10, 2011
I'm having the same issue with significant lagging while typing in notes textboxes. Starting in safe mode eliminated the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions for identifying the plug-in that is causing the problem?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
The best way is to enable one at a time until the problem happens. The disable all but the last one added and see if it still happens. If so, you found the plugin that is causing the problem.

Do you have roboform installed? This is one that we know causes problems.
Folke X

I also tried installing SeaMonkey - a Firefox sibling. It lags too, straight out of the box, without any customizations of any kind having been made. But IE and Chrome do not lag. It could be something other than just plugins that is causing the problem.

Firefox appears a bit unreliable as far as showing your plugins. In my case, for a good while it showed only Java as the only plugin. Then, all of a sudden one day it also showed a bunch of others.

I disabled them all from within Firefox Settings, but it still lags. Only safe mode helps. When starting up the safe mode, I do not have to check the "disable plugins" box to ged rid of the problem. It is enough to just start in "vanilla" safe mode (with none of the four options checked). The problem goes away regardless. But when I start in normal mode it does not seem to help whatever plugins I disable.

It would seem that safe mode disables something other than than the plugins, and that it is this "other" that is causing the problems, but I have tried to Google this topic and have not found anything.

I know that with browsers there are different interpretations of the web standards. Could it be that Firefox (and SeaMonkey) use some other interpretation than IE and Chrome of some elemnets of the new Tasks page? I have only seens this lagging problem under the new Tasks tab - not on any other Toodlede pages, such as Forum, or any other sites. But in that case most Firefox users would have the problem, which does not seem to be the case. Big Mystery.

This message was edited Aug 10, 2011.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Yeah, it is a mystery. I am running 3 different version of Firefox on both Mac and PC and I cannot cause any lagging issues. I even ran it on a slow computer to see if that would affect it and it did not, so Im sort of out of ideas. Its very difficult for me to fix a problem that I cannot replicate since I would have no idea what to fix or if what I changed fixed it. I'll keep trying, but if you think of any detail that might help, please let us know.
Salgud

I'm running FF5 on both a PC Win2000 and an iMac OSX and am not seeing this issue either.
Folke X

I will continue to keep my eyes open and look for possible answers.

The only additional clue I have at the moment - probably not worth much - is there seems to be a relationship between the length of the list and the amount of lagging.

Short lists with less than 5 tasks almost never seem to have any lag. With 5-15 tasks the lag varies from being just noticeable to being a hindrance. With longer lists than that, it is often best, if I am in a hurry and have a few sentences to write, to get the task via some other search or filtering and edit it from a narrower selection (shorter list).
pele

It also can be caused by another reason, in my opinion, I am afraid. Corrupted antivir program, something bad in OS etc... Did you evoke it on another computer?
Thomas P.

Posted: Aug 20, 2011
Hi,

I have the same problem with FF6.
Very slow response even when all addons are disabled and in safe mode too.

For instance when I click on the left menu on "Starred tasks" it takes more than ten seconds to switch to it. Even weirder, there is a continuous flow of data (Upload 48KB/s / Download 27KB/s that are triggered by this operation).

This issue does not appear with Chrome or IE.

I uninstalled firefox totally (remove profiles, extensions...) and reinstalled it, same problem!

This message was edited Aug 20, 2011.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 22, 2011
Does the slowness depend on how many tasks are in the list you are loading?
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.