ForumsQuestionsHotlist confusion

Hotlist confusion
Dave

Posted: Jan 11, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
One thing I am trying to do on my iPod Touch Toodledo app is use the hotlist in such a way that it only shows tasks overdue and due today, but also includes future items whose start date is either due today or has past. In the iphone app instructions, this seems possible:

Under Hotlist: "Tasks that have a future start date will not appear on the Hotlist until that start date arrives".

Simple right? Apparently not. I have a task due on Feb 1st, with a start date Jan 5th. I have the priority level settings for the hotlist to Top Priority, as I don't want it showing High-Low tasks that aren't due yet. And I don't use Top priority for anything, it's annoying to have something 6 months from now in my hotlist.

Ultimately what I want is to be able to use the start date field to taylor the lead time I get for tasks. If the hotlist doesn't show tasks based on start date, not only does it contradict the instructions, it contradicts common sense.

Please help!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 12, 2009
I'm not sure I understand. You have a task due on feb 1, with a start date of jan 5th. It should not be on your to-do list. Is it? What is it's priority?
Dave

Posted: Jan 20, 2009
Posted by Toodledo:
I'm not sure I understand. You have a task due on feb 1, with a start date of jan 5th. It should not be on your to-do list. Is it? What is it's priority?

I have the task as High priority, but have the hotlist filter to Top. I know that means it would not show up, but I thought the filter meant that it would ALWAYS show X priority and above, AND show tasks due within X number of days. I set the hotlist filter to Top, since I don't want it showing all my tasks for the next 30 days. The date filter is set to due today.

Basically, here's the deal. I only want to see tasks that are due today, or if they have a start date, I want them to show up in the hotlist on that start date. I guess I'd have to lower my hotlist priority filter, but then future tasks start coming through that I don't want to see. See what I mean?

If I'm not mistaken, the hotlist used to work like I wanted (show tasks whose start dates are today or earlier). Was something changed in the coding a while back?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We have not changed the way the hotlist functions. I suspect that it might be your filters.

You could also use the saved search functionality to make your own custom hotlist with your own criteria.

Hope that helps.
Dave

Hmm, that's a good idea! Will searches work on the iPhone app too? I couldn't remember if I could have saved searches show up there. If not, are you planning on supporting them there? 90% of my using Toodledo is on the iphone.

Thanks.

This message was edited Jan 20, 2009.
Dave

Wow! Just spent a few minutes playing around with the search criteria and I must say I am impressed!!! I can get exactly what I want with a little fiddling! Thanks!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 21, 2009
Yes, we plan to bring the saved searches to the iPhone eventually.
Dave

Posted: Jan 27, 2009
On my hotlist, I would like to see ONLY tasks due today, tasks past due, OR tasks due in the future but have a start date that has arrived. How can I set this up?

I only have a few tasks that use start dates, but I would like them to show up in the hotlist when that START date arrives. That is what I thought used to happen on the hotlist and was changed, maybe I'm dreaming though.

Thanks!

By the way, I was able to get this to work on a saved search! Hurray!!! Now if I could get that on my iPod app. ;-) Especially as a start page.

This message was edited Jan 27, 2009.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Feb 01, 2009
I was just going to recommend using a saved search :) Glad you figured it out. We have plans to make the hotlist more flexible in the future.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.