ForumsQuestionsGMail Integration, linking a task to an email "thread"

GMail Integration, linking a task to an email "thread"
martingchapman

Posted: Aug 22, 2011
Score: 2 Reference
I know it is possible to "send" an email to Toodledo and have it create a task, and for Pro accounts also include any attachments to the email.
However, this is a once-off for that particular email.

GMail has a very useful "threading" feature which links emails into a thread to keep responses to emails together.
Is there any way that Toodledo could pick up the url of an email that it creates a task from, and embed this url into the task. Then when you click on the task you would see the original email text but if you clicked on the url for the email in the task, you would open the email "thread" rather than just seeing the original email details.
In this way you would be able to follow the progress of an email through the task and make integration with GMail much more powerful.

Thanks - Martin.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 25, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
Unfortunately, this isn't possible, but it is on our to-do list. However, we can't comment on a timeframe for implementation.

Thanks
martingchapman

Posted: Oct 31, 2011
Score: 2 Reference
Hi Toodledo,
Have you made any progress with this request?

I am sure you are aware but [Remember the Milk] has a GMail widget that you install into GMail and it then gives you the option to create a task in [RTM] by "Starring" an email.
It also adds an icon into the task that is a link to the email thread.

Is there a anyway you could do something similar with Toodledo so that you "Star" an email in GMail and it automatically creates a task in Toodledo with the url of the email thread in the body of the task using your normal task defaults for priority, date etc.

This would make Toodledo a really (even more) powerful Task Management solution, especially for followers of GTD and MYN, one of the main principles of which is converting emails to tasks.

Regards - Martin.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestion. We can't comment on a timeframe for implementation, but this is on our to-do list.
Scott

I just copy and paste the URL of the email thread in to the message I send in to Toodledo if I need a quick link back to it. Having it grab it automatically would be cool though.

sb
raymondvardanega

Posted: Dec 28, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
Reviving this, as I can't find a solution. OTher tools, such as gqueues allow for a 'genuine' gadget which has tools under each email for you to create a new task and assign attributes before emailing ... NO syntax required.

Really, this should be the standard of integration.
paulkon

Posted: Jan 21, 2012
with remember the milk you can add to-dos using email, sms (via twitter, using a dedicated private twitter account if you like) , via siri. integration is the name of the game.

http://www.rememberthemilk.com/services/
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 23, 2012
We can do all that too. Here are our Siri instructions: http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=135
martingchapman

Posted: Feb 05, 2012
Score: 1 Reference
Toodledo,
Thanks for the reminder about the Siri integration.

But it is just the same as the email integration.
Creating a task in Toodledo by sending an email to your Toodledo email address works very well, but it does not link back to the email thread in GMail, any replies/updates to the email are not reflected by the task.

This is is "killer" feature that is missing, if the task that is created had a link back to the email thread that it was created from then any replies/updates to that email would automatically be available from Toodledo when you clicked on the link and opened the email.

Please, please include this feature as soon as you can and make all your GMail users (of which there must be thousands+) very happy.

Thanks - Martin.
piyush_soni

Posted: Feb 08, 2012
@martingchapman,
Opening the Gmail thread, right clicking, "Toodledo this page" doesn't work for you? (You need Toodledo Firefox Add on for this)
moabdave

Posted: Feb 08, 2012
Posted by piyush_soni:
@martingchapman,
Opening the Gmail thread, right clicking, "Toodledo this page" doesn't work for you? (You need Toodledo Firefox Add on for this)

This works great for me! all my todo,s are in my hotlist including email threads.
martingchapman

Posted: Feb 10, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions using the Firefox Add on.
This appears to be a way of creating a task from a web page, including an open email.
However you need to highlight the url of the page then right click the page to create the task with the url as the title of the task.
I can easily do this by highlighting the url and copying it, then pasting into a task in ToDo.

What I am asking for is tight integration between GMail and ToDo so you only need to star and email (for example) to have ToDo create a task that uses the email title as the task title and places a link to the email thread into the notes field of the task.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Martin.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Feb 10, 2012
We are looking into tighter gmail integration.

Thanks
martingchapman

Posted: Feb 14, 2012
Toodledo,
Thanks for the response, lets me know you are reading my post and good to hear you are working on tighter Gmail integration.

If you need a beta tester I would be happy to help.

Regards - Martin.
tommy.kelly

Posted: Feb 21, 2012
Isn't the gmail gadget mentioned here (the second of the three) meant to do gmail integration:

http://www.toodledo.com/widget/google_gadget.php

The reason I ask is that although I've installed the gadget, I can't actually find it to use it. Anyone know how to use that particular gadget?

This message was edited Feb 21, 2012.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Feb 21, 2012
Once you install that gadget, look in the bottom left corner of the screen for a button that has three dots on it "..." Click that and the gadget will appear on the left side where you can quickly add/edit tasks.
adam.frank

Posted: Feb 23, 2012
I would also like to see tighter integration, such as the gqueue integreation or other task managers that have apps in the app store for google. I think it is really needed, and this type of integration has been around for a while. It would make it much easier to process emails into tasks.
martingchapman

Posted: Feb 23, 2012
Tommy,
The GMail gadget you mention allows you to manage and add tasks from within GMail.
However it does not allow you to convert a Gmail into a task with a link to the Gmail thread embedded in the task.
This is the level of integration I am asking for.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply though - Martin.
martingchapman

Posted: May 15, 2012
Toodledo Developer(s)
GQueues (one of your competitors) has a bookmarklet that you can copy onto your bookmark bar.
When you click it a small window opens which lets you create a task in GQueues.
The title of the task is the subject of the email, you can change this.
There is a notes dialogue box where you can add notes, but also the url of the page you are on when you click the bookmark (including an open GMail) is automatically pasted into the note - HURRAH!!!
Tasks are automatically added to the INBOX queue or you can select which queue you want it added to.
You can also add a date and time for the task by using key characters in the title of the task.

This is exactly what I need Toodledo to do, to square the circle with GMail and make TD the best task management application ever.
It would mean that from a task, I can click on the link in the notes and go directly to the email conversation that the task was created from.

The fact that it works so well in GQueues proves that it can be done.
Please, Please can you look at replicating this for TD.

I can send you the text of the bookmark for you to study if it would help.

I am SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING SWITCHING TO GQUEUES if this functionality is not included in TD soon, which is a real shame as I really like TD, am a paying Pro subscriber and have used TD for some time.

From recent developments to TD (Facebook integration/Stats/Graphs) you clearly have different developement priorities to myself (a committed GMail/MYN user) but also from these forums there are many other users of TD who would appreciate full GMail integration.

Regards - Martin.

This message was edited May 15, 2012.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 16, 2012
Yes, Gmail integration is a high priority for us as well.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.