ForumsQuestionsGMail Integration, linking a task to an email "thread"

GMail Integration, linking a task to an email "thread"
martingchapman

Posted: May 16, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
Toodledo Administrator,
Thanks for the quick reply, appreciated.

Could you expand on your plan.
Are you intending to implement GMail integration in a such a way that the url of the GMmail is automatically included in the task note so that you can easily open and read/reply to the GMail thread directly from the task in TD?
This is a very important requirement for me.

Also, I know you don't like to give out target dates when new features will become available, but I am sure we would all like an idea of the time scales for this.
If I know it is in the next couple of months then I will stick with TD, as the rest of TD is so good it means I can wait a bit longer for this feature.
However, if it is going to be 6 months or more, or you can't/wont give a target time scale, then I can't carry on with TD with no hope of this feature coming soon, so I would have to seriously consider moving to GQ.

You have in the past replied to posts asking for this feature with the comment that is is on your list, it is a priority for you etc, but other (IMHO) less useful features have been added before this one.

I really don't want to have to move to GQ, I really do love TD so even a hint of when we will see GMail integration would be most appreciated.

Thanks again for a great program - Martin.

This message was edited May 16, 2012.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We have not decided when we will implement gmail integration or how it will be implemented. Sorry.
martingchapman

OK, thanks for an honest reply.
Looks as if it wont be soon :-((

Martin.
simon

Posted: May 17, 2012
Posted by martingchapman:
OK, thanks for an honest reply.
Looks as if it wont be soon :-((

Martin.

I would add that over the years, I have tried a number of other systems, mainly through curiosity, including GQueues and Producteev. Both of these are much better than Toodledo when it comes to Google integration. Problem is, on every other measure, they're just not as good. The thing with Toodledo is that it's so flexible and doesn't force you into a specific way of working. It's totally reliable and continuously developed. I seem to get restless once in a while and go looking for 'better systems'. All that does is to reinforce that there isn't one.
martingchapman

Posted: May 22, 2012
Simon,
Thanks for chipping in.

From other posts on this forum it appears that Toodledo is in fact one person by the name of Jake.
This would explain the "canned responses" to many posts, including my requests for GMail integration.
I only read the posts that interest me, I can imagine that it would take a long time to not only read but respond to every post, as Jake appears to do.
I suppose I should take heart that the original response to this request was "its on our list to do" but it has now become "Gmail integration is a priority for us" which is not a canned response.

And Simon, yes you are right, I have also tried out most of the competing Task Management programs, but keep coming back to Toodledo as it is so flexible and stable, plus the iOS mobile apps are so good.
Which is what makes the lack of GMail (and Evernote) integration so noticeable, in every other respect Toodledo knocks the socks of the competition.

In the meantime I have started using Firefox (thanks to piyush_soni for the tip) and have found the Toodledo AddOn to be just what I needed, so for the moment problem solved.

Martin.

This message was edited May 22, 2012.
Purveyor

Posted: May 22, 2012
Posted by martingchapman:
I suppose I should take heart that the original response to this request was "its on our list to do" but it has now become "Gmail integration is a priority for us" which is not a canned response.
I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Here is a similar response about sharing tasks on the iPhone:
Sharing is only supported on the main website right now, but it is high on our to-do list to support sharing via the iPhone and other methods.
That's from July 12, 2010.
martingchapman

Posted: Sep 04, 2012
Toodledo have now produced a bookmarklet that works in Chrome/Firefox and probably all other browsers to add a task from a web page and automatically insert the url of the page in the task note.

See this announcement for details;
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/15405/0/add-a-task-from-anywhere-with-our-bookmarklet.html

Thanks Toodledo this is fantastic!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2  

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.