ForumsQuestionsURL Links

URL Links
JCarl

Posted: Sep 01, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
I have been testing Dropbox and Box links in the notes field of Toodledo so as to have a method to have "dynamic" or latest version of files versus Upload. A number of other packages open a new tab in their browser when clicking on a link. It seems that Toodledo does not open a new tab but just opens in same tab as Toodledo thus not allowing to see both. Do I have this interpreted correct? Is there a way to open a new tab? If not could this be added to improvements list?

Thanks
Folke X

Score: 0 Reference
Maybe you can also use this (temporary) workaround:
Right-click the link and select "open in a new tab".
Jake

Toodledo Founder
You can also option+click on a link to open in a new tab.
dobesv

Posted: Jan 17, 2012
I would also like to see the links open in a new window when I click them, it's kind of annoying to have to manually request them to be in a new window. Should be an easy fix, no?
Salgud

I prefer them in a new tab, thanks.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Personally, I hate it when websites spawn new windows. I much prefer for a link to open in the current window. There is a key that you can hold down on your keyboard when clicking to cause a link to open in a new window or new tab, based on your preference. So, the way it is now, you can have it both ways.

There is no key that you can press to make a link open in the current window that was going to open in a new window, so if we implemented the suggestion it would break it for all the people who want the link to open in the current window.

I suppose we could make this a user preference if there was enough demand, but I would suggest that you try the ctrl+click method. It is different for each browser and mac/pc, so it may not be ctrl+click for you.
Purveyor

Score: 1 Reference
Posted by Toodledo:
Personally, I hate it when websites spawn new windows. I much prefer for a link to open in the current window.
It is interesting that you hate it but what about what your customers think?

I hate the way that Toodledo handles links in the Task Note. If I click on one of those links, I want it to open a new tab so that I still have a tab with my Toodledo Task list. I shouldn't have to ctrl-click.

This message was edited Jan 17, 2012.
Scott

I prefer to have the control over whether a site opens a link in a new tab (or window) or not. I generally find the automatic littering of my browser with multiple tabs to be disruptive when it's so easy to just choose.

If I want to have multiple things open I use the shortcut or just drag the link up to the tab bar which in Chrome just opens that link in a new tab. If I want that content in a new tab I can do that - if I want it in a whole new window, I can do that as well. If I want it open in the same tab, I can do that as well.

How do you decide which links should or shouldn't generate a new window? If I click the link to the forums from the app I don't want it by default to open in a new tab - but sometimes I might. Give me the choice every time because only I know what I want to do with that new tab.

sb
PeterW 

I'd prefer links to open in a new tab (not a new window, agree that this is annoying). An option would be nice (e.g. links open in: existing tab/new tab/new window) but there is a workaround so this is not critical in my opinion.
JPR

Posted: Jan 18, 2012
The way TD handles links in notes is standard behavior for a website. I think people get thrown off because they don't view their task list as a standard website.

An option to Ctrl click is to middle click links with the mousewheel, if you have one... this will open links in a new background tab in Firefox and Chrome. If you don't have middle click you can add extensions to both Firefox and Chrome that will open links in new tabs with a right click (holding the right button opens the menu).

I use both so a left click opens in the existing tab, middle in a new background tab, and right click opens in a new foreground tab. And it works the same on every website.
Purveyor

Posted: Jan 18, 2012
Posted by JPR:
The way TD handles links in notes is standard behavior for a website. I think people get thrown off because they don't view their task list as a standard website.
Well, that makes sense, except that's not how links are handled in Gmail, Yahoo Mail, NirvanaHQ or Nozbe. All of those websites open a link in a new tab.

This message was edited Jan 18, 2012.
rdd

Posted: May 02, 2012
I am pretty much annoyed by the current behavior of TD to open URL links in the same window. I understand there are ways to work around it, but those are just not very convenient and generate irritation.

I would very, very, very much prefer URL links to open in a new tab, similar to other common web applications, such as Gmail for example.

Even better would be to allow users to choose it in the settings.
cabbage

On my browser, the left mouse button opens links in the current window and the middle button opens links in a new tab. Why would you want to break that behaviour?
Salgud

I just right click on links and select "Open in new tab". It's not very difficult or time consuming.
davidballard

Posted: Sep 14, 2012
Please have at least an option to open links in a new tab. Those who suggest I should do so by shift clicking or right clicking miss the point. Gmail and other web applications open attachments in new tabs. I therefore have to work one way in email (and most of the other web applications I use) and another way in Toodledo. I waste so much time closing a tab to discover I have to reopen Toodledo.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 14, 2012
We plan to change this behavior to match gmail. This will be coming in a future update.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.