ForumsQuestionsDashboard / Multi-Search

Dashboard / Multi-Search
Folke X

Posted: Sep 12, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
This is something I have actually suggested before, but only indirectly from within other threads. I decided it is good enough an idea to warrant a thread of its own ;)

The single thing I would like most of all in Toodledo (on top of all the good things that are already there) is the capability to create a Dashboard or Multi-Search - I cannot decide what would be the best name for it.

A dashboard is a collection of entirely different things on the same page. One way of attaining this "dashboard" effect using "almost" only the current features would be if there was a "multi-search" - several entirely unrelated searches on the same page, each search just like today's searches, but with custom headings (dividers) between each search and custom sorting order for each search.

Personally I would love to have such a "dashboard" as my main "today" screen, where in addition to the things I need to do today, I could have a separate section underneath for "important early warnings" and a third section for "most important milestones later this year" and so on. I would probably turn most of my current saved searches into dashboards if I had this capability. (It is always useful to be able to see a bit of the "surroundings", too, not just the things you primarily need to look at, as long as it does not obscure your view.)

This message was edited Sep 12, 2011.
simon

Score: 0 Reference
Have you tried Search/Multi-Edit/Save Multi-Edit?
I think that will give you what you need.

Simon
Folke X

Thanks, but no, this is not the same thing. I am talking about a "View" - a way to have things displayed. (I am well familiar with Multi-edit.)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestion.
Folke X

Posted: Sep 16, 2011
I regret if maybe the term "dashboard" was a bit misleading. Often dashboards have a particular kind of graphical layout and extremely mixed content that I was not referring to at all. I was merely referring to its "mixed selection and grouping of tasks".

The way I picture it is like this:

A TD "dashboard list" would look just like any other task list in TD. In other words, there would be tasks and there would be divider lines. That's it. Just like now. The only difference - a big difference - between a "dashboard list" and any other saved view would be:

- the divider titles are whatever names I have defined for them (not names implicitly defined by the sorting order as they are in a regular list)

- the individual tasks listed under each divider are selected by whatever search critiera I have chosen for that particular divider section of the list (not for the list as a whole)

Thus each section of the list (i.e. each divider line and the tasks under it) are totally independent of the other sections of the list but they still all appear on the same page. It is a "list of short lists" - a "dashboard list".

With this kind of dashboard list it would not be necessary to switch views as often. It would be possible to have, for example, things like "Do Today" and "If I go out" on the same page.

Also, and perhaps even more importantly, almost any normal saved search could be made cleaner and easier to read by using this kind of dashboard functionality. For example, if today you have a "do today" type hotlist - consisting of items selected by some combination of due date, status, priority and star, then almost inevitably you end up with many more sections (dividers) in the list than you have any wish to see in that view. The list is unnecessarily fragmented or "cluttered". What you would really want to see might well be something as simple as just two sections, say, "Due" (because of time) and "Other important things" (because of status, priority or star). With dashboard functionality, you could make your views as clean and uncluttered as you yourself want them.

This message was edited Sep 16, 2011.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.