ForumsQuestionssubtasks only go down one level?

subtasks only go down one level?
shun!

Posted: Jan 18, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
I just purchased a pro account only for the feature of subtasks. And, much to my suprise, I can't seem to go down further than one level with any subtask. Could someone point me in the right direction to get my subtasks going strong? Yah know, I'm looking for this sort of thing:

task
subtask
subsubtask
subsubsubtask

At the moment all I seem to be able to do is this:

task
subtask

edit: after looking at every picture I could find of "subtasks" in toodledo, I can't seem to find anything deeper than a first level subtask. If that's the limit, ... is it in toodle's plans to allow subtasks deeper than one level? And if not, I'd like to suggest that feature.

This message was edited Jan 18, 2009.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 19, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
We currently only offer 1 level of subtasks. We may add more in the future.
Alisa

Posted: Jan 25, 2009
I would definitely like to see a sub-subtask as I am currently using my folders as roles, tasks as projects and subtasks as tasks. Alternatively it would be helpful to have to assign a Roles designation.

Thanks!
Riebeck63

Posted: Jan 26, 2009
This is disappointing. No sub-folders and only one level of subtasks. How are we supposed to organize a hierarchy of tasks?

This message was edited Jan 26, 2009.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 31, 2009
Most tasks managers only have 1 or 2 levels. We have 3, so thats a big advance over most of our competitors. It sounds like you may need something more like an outlining application. We don't have that functionality, but we hope to enhance our support for subtasks in the future.
ejbruner

Posted: Mar 02, 2009
I'd like to also raise the request for outlining directly in Toodledo. I'm a Pro user, so getting used to subtasks, but the nesting is kicking my tail currently.

From a planning perspective, I find outlining a great way to flesh out necessary actions in appropriate detail (actionable) and also sequence and relational nature - it would be great to do this right in the task tool and then the dates/priorities/status could just keep us on task... I am a huge fan of omnioutliner

Also can't wait to have toodledo on the iphone popping up to remind me/nag me to do things - i believe Apple prevents this? but it is holding back complete adoption.
Tina

Posted: Mar 04, 2009
Add my vote for deeper nesting.
DSM_2

Could those that want deeper nesting answer the question of what would the name of each level be? (subsub...task doesn't cut it.)

1. High-level goal
2. Area of concern
3. Project in that area
4. Task within the project
5. ???

The point is, in GTD parlance, maybe you're too concerned with outlining your tasks then actually getting them done?
alexborne

add my vote for more levels.
Tina

Posted by DSM:
Could those that want deeper nesting answer the question of what would the name of each level be? (subsub...task doesn't cut it.)

1. High-level goal
2. Area of concern
3. Project in that area
4. Task within the project
5. ???

The point is, in GTD parlance, maybe you're too concerned with outlining your tasks then actually getting them done?

I agree that it is possible to get overly involved in organizing a task list to avoid doing the tasks. That does not remove the requirement for deeper task nesting. Complex projects require complex organization, just as a complex computer program requires an arbitrarily deep file system structure.

The levels should be unnamed, and arbitrarily deep. The concepts of task and subtask would be merged, so any task/subtask could have subparts. (See LifeBalance, which is unfortunately not a web app.)

As many have noted, manual ordering is critical. Each task could have a property that says whether its child tasks must be performed in order or not. The priority set on a child task should reflect its importance ONLY in terms of accomplishing the parent task.
michi.maurer

Posted: Apr 30, 2009
is there any progress on this? I just moved from MyLifeOrganzied to toodledo and bought a pro subscription, guessing that subtasks can nested as deep as i want....in mlo my task hiearchy is sometimes 7 level deep...

really a disappointment....
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 4 Reference
I really don't want to lose a customer, but if you need 7 levels of nested hierarchy, I don't think Toodledo is the right tool for you. The only other alternative is for you to simplify your system down to 3 levels. We do have plans to add at least 1 more level, but we don't have a release date in mind.
thpope

Score: -1 Reference
I would prefer infinite levels. I'm not currently using Toodledo in this way, but I might use it more for storing informational stuff if it had it.

I used a program called Trenotes on my winmo device and it was wonderful. I still use their desktop program. It can be used as a to-do program or an outliner or both. I used it mainly for storing reference information. But it's really good for simple project management as it had completion bars and percentages built in.
Aidan

Score: 2 Reference
I've just moved over from RTM and having sub-tasks is a really bonus. On the subject of multiple levels of subtasks I personally think that the current setup, with maybe one more level, works fine. There are other ways of organising your tasks which may make more sense (goals, folders, tags, contexts etc) which could help rather than going multiple levels down.

Maybe one solution would be for Toodledo to implement a "next action" process which would in theory allow you to link multiple sets of tasks/subtasks. On completing a task, the next action could be another collection of tasks, just a thought.

The other problem is that Toodledo will never be able to implement the necessary hierarchy for all customers, some need 3,4 or 7 but someone is bound to come along and need more. As the Toodledo post says, look at how you are organising your tasks, maybe you could simplify.

One final note, it's refreshing to see the level of communication back from the developer, one of the reasons I moved from RTM. To actually be able to enter into a discussion on functionality is great. Keep up the good work.

This message was edited Apr 30, 2009.
Alan

Aidan:

Welcome to Toodledo. I left RTM myself about a month back for good (worked with both for a while) and have never looked back. I believe that Toodledo is actually far more feature-rich than RTM, which is "pretty" but not as functional.

And the reason that I switched initially also was due to RTM's virtual hostility toward its customer base. Toodledo's developer has a whole different attitude and it is very refreshing to give my $$$ to a company that strives to meet customer demands and reacts to user feedback as quickly as possible.

The killer for me at RTM came when the developer there decided that the best way to deal with my concerns about a lack of feedback to customers, and their poor attitude, was to simply block all posts from me.
saskia.x

Posted: May 06, 2009
I used to use MLO too and I initially missed having deeper levels of hierarchy, but looking back I think the deep nesting got a bit messy and wasn't really necessary in most cases. I actually prefer the structure of Toodledo now, although it would be nice to have one more level of subtasks. I'd also like to see some kind of task dependency like in MLO too, something like "complete tasks in order" would be great!
Proximo

I agree with Toodledo that if your work flow requires 7 levels of sub task that an Outlining Tool will be better suited.

I do wish we had more sub levels, but my question is this. If Toodledo is planning at least one more level down, why not 2,3 or 7?

Toodledo is so flexible and I don't see why this could not be just another flexible feature. I do understand that you have to cap it at some point and yes, maybe 7 levels is too much, but is there any reason why you would add just one more level and not more?

One example I have is a current Project that deals with the Company SOP's. I have about 15 subtask to this Project task, but there is a particular SOP that requires several documents to be modified and reviewed by different people and I may need to add a new SOP document to make this section of our SOP work.

This is where the additional subtask will come in handy.

I am glad Toodledo is looking at adding another level, but I was just wondering how much harder would it be to go deeper.

Also based on how you use Toodledo, You may only consider the current functionality to be one sub-level and not 3. This of course goes back into the topic of using Folders for Projects vs. Top Level Task for Projects.

I don't use folders for Projects and therefore my Projects are managed by a Top Level Task that contains subtask. So to me, there is only one sub level which is not nearly enough. I am not saying we need unlimited, but many users manage Projects as I do and could really use more sub-levels.

Thanks.

This message was edited May 06, 2009.
Anders

I would go absolutely insane if given seven levels of hierarchy for my tasks. Yes, I could choose not to use them, but it just seems like to much for anything but outlining. For actually trying to G your Ts D, it is just micromanagement overkill IMO.

I would be very happy with one more level, and honestly I could continue to get by just fine with things as they are now. However, I will still tell you what I would find ideal:

1.5 more levels! Yes, 1.5.

The 1 would be something between folders and parent tasks. They could be called projects, subfolders, whatever.

The .5 would be something that I have been thinking about since checking out the new version of the Todo iPhone app, and that is checklists. Just a series of ultra-simple subtasklettes, steps, or whatever. I think it would be ideal for certain tasks. It would not even have to be another level really. It could just be a special format in notes, or an additional option available for tasks, subtasks, or both(preferably).
Vin Thomas

@Anders,

I do this already with simple lists in notes:

- note 1
- note 2
- note 3 etc.

But it would be nice to have some simple formatting available for notes. A SUPER SIMPLE WYSIWYG would be nice.

I also like your idea of sub-folders. I have a folder called (freelance) for all my freelance clients. I would like to create sub-folders or sub-tasks with each client name, and then list each project within the sub-folder assigned to the client.

I can live with it how it is, but I would certainly use another level if it was an option.

This message was edited May 06, 2009.
HansD

Hi Vin,

something related I've mentioned in http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/1881/0/searching.html

I'd rather keep it more flexible, hence the search as a folder (this way you can create more levels, even more if you can search in other search-folders.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.