ForumsQuestionsDue date versus reminders

Due date versus reminders
harleyxlc

Posted: Oct 13, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
I have some tasks that have due dates. But I may want a reminder before that, a reminder that doesn't really relate to the due date. Or I may want multiple reminders.

For example, I have ordered a part for a vehicle. I need the part received and installed by 12/1/2011 for a ride. So the due date is 12/1/2011. But I don't want the reminder tied to that date with the xx minutes or days before settings. On 10/31 I want to be reminded to call and check on the order with the dealer.

What I have been doing is setting the due date to 10/31 and then I have my reminder. But I have lost the fact that the real due date is 12/1 (unless I put it in notes).

I also don't have a way to set up multiple reminders. I have to wait for the first one and then set things up again for the second. I'd like to be able to set a reminder for 10/31 and 11/15 from the beginning, while keeping the due date of 12/1.

What do you do to handle this?

And a similar issue, how can I have a reminder without a due date?

This message was edited Oct 13, 2011.
Salgud

Maybe you're making this more difficult than it needs to be? It seems to me, you have 3 choices. One, set up 3 different tasks, one for each event. Two, make one task, for the 10/31 reminder, then change the due date to 11/15, then to 12/1. Three, set up one task, set the reminder for 30 days, then when the 30 day reminder goes off, change it to 14 days.

And please, please, don't tell us that you're so busy you don't have time to reset the reminder or to create 3 tasks!
harleyxlc

I am too busy!

Seriously, it's more that I don't like the options :) I am doing option #2 currently.

My thought was to really use the due date...so this would be a lower priority to me since it is due in December than a task due in October. Due date being just one of the fields that helps me decide what to work on now. I know of a couple of apps that let you set multiple reminders for any task (gmail calendar is another example). That is also driving the idea of having a reminder with no due date. I have things that I pick totally arbitrary dates and would rather avoid that.

Thanks for the options.
Folke X

I am also using metod #2, but of course every method has its pros and cons. This method is quick and easy, even though you need to rely on the taks notes or title to some extent, but for those who like to keep a record of everything they have checked off it would be better to use metod #1.
harleyxlc

True. Task1 of "call", Task2 of "call" and Task3 of the real task, maybe even a task with two subtasks of the intermediate calls. For my own example, that may turn into more work than what I want to track, but that fine line can vary for different people and tasks.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 14, 2011
You could also use subtasks for this. Each subtask could be a different sort of reminder for the main task. We currently dont support multiple reminders per task.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.