ForumsQuestionsBest iPhone App to use with Toodledo?

Best iPhone App to use with Toodledo?
Jeremy

Posted: Oct 18, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
Im a new iPhone user, longtime toodledo user. I'm wondering which app you use and why. If have tried others, why did you stop using it?

I'm leaning towards the Toodledo app, but the 2Do app looks nice as well. Also, I've heard lots of good things about Appigo's app. What say you?
Folke X

Posted: Oct 18, 2011
I think they are all (as far as I know) very limited in the sense that they do not support Saved Searches (aka smart lists), which the mainstay of the whole setup that I and many others have with Toodledo. They mainly have the most basic "computerish" options to view-by-this-field or view-by-that-field, just like the out-of-the-box menus here on the Toodledo web. Some have a single preprogrammed hotlist, that's all, just like Toodledo.

I use Pocket Informant, which also has all the above limitations. It can show Google calendar items in the same view as your (dated) Toodledo tasks, which at least is something a bit extra. Previews of their upcoming version indicates something called "Smart Groups", which may - I don't know, but I am hoping - turn out to be "smart lists" aka "saved searches". Maybe Toodledo's next version will have this, too?

This message was edited Oct 18, 2011.
Jeremy

Posted: Oct 19, 2011
That's it...one response?
Purveyor

Okay, one more ...

I've used 2Do, Appigo's Todo, and the official Toodledo app.
I am currently using 2Do as my main task manager, and I use the Toodledo app to access "Recently Added" and "Recently Modified". I use Todo to access another Toodledo account that I use for a packing list.

I like the Todo interface but I don't like the way it syncs: too slow, too many fields missing, and too many errors.
I don't like the Toodledo interface but I like that it has most of the online features, and it syncs perfectly with the website.
I really like the 2Do interface, but that's not why I chose it. I want to track Projects (with multiple tasks) and 2Do is the best for that.

Hope that helps.
dannyw0011

Score: -1 Reference
Too bad you're not on Android.
johnwin

I've tried Appigo, 2Do, Pocket Informant and the Toodledo app. For me the Toodledo app is the best one.

I don’t like the way Appigo and 2Do 'hide' Project and Context views, the PI UI has not improved since I was using it on Windows Mobile 5 years ago.

The toodledo app just works for me.
Purveyor

Posted by dannyw0011:
Too bad you're not on Android.
Why?
Jeremy

That's better.

I read that the 2do app doesn't handle all of the fields. I may just try both. It's interesting that quite a few people have strong negative opinions about each app. Makes it hard to find a clear solution without buying them all and using them all.

Keep the reviews coming if anyone has something share.
dannyw0011

Posted by Purveyor:
[quote]Posted by dannyw0011:

<DIV class=quote>Too bad you're not on Android.[/quote]Why?[/quote]

While I've never used an iPhone app, I've found that Ultimate ToDo List for Android does a great job syncing with Toodledo. At least I've never had a problem. And it also has saved searches, the biggest plus for me.

Features have always been UTDL's strongpoint. It has received complaints about it's UI, though. The developer has been taking UI suggestions and he is working on a revised UI that should be out within a month or so.
JPR

I've tried 2Do, Todo, and use Toodledo. 2Do can't do Folders AND Contexts; you can only sync one. That was a deal killer for me. There are certain features I like about Todo, but there are more that I don't. You can try out the crippled free version and get a feel for how it works. Many people do love Todo.

I've stuck with the Toodledo app because syncing just works, and it supports pretty much all the major website features except for Saved Searches. The killer feature IMO, is the ability to define what fields you use, just like on the website. I hate looking at fields/views I don't use.
PeterW 

If you do a search on the forums here you will find quite a lot of previous posts about the various apps that sync with Toodledo.

I use Appigo Todo for the following reasons:

1. Appigo's overall interface design is cleaner, more intuitive and seems more iPhone 'native'. Its use of colours in lists is great as is the look of the icons for various indicators. Toodledo by comparison looks drab and old (almost Windows Mobile-ish to me) and it has so many options that it's difficult to use.

2. Project handling is much better. For example when you tap to display a project, it displays the project name at the top and all sub-tasks below it. Toodledo simply opens the project task showing all embedded fields which to me is cumbersome and unwanted. I rarely need to look at a task's fields once they're set, and especially not for a project which is really just a place-holder for a bunch of other tasks.

3. Appigo has a native inbox on its home screen which I find very useful. I wish Toodledo had that on the web interface.

4. Appigo has Checklists which I find invaluable for errands such as supermarket lists.

Regarding Appigo not having some of the fields, it hasn't been a problem for me. While I use one of them in Toodledo web interface (start date) it's only occasional and not having it on the iPhone hasn't affected my ability to see tasks and get things done. I have most of the other Toodledo-only fields turned off, e.g. status, goals, start time, length, location) because I want my system to be simple and low maintenance.
Jeremy

@Peter - I appreciate your info on todo, that's helpful information. I did attempt a search for 2do and came up empty. As for other searches, I couldnt find keywords that gave me reasonable results and with the update cycle that apps experience, many of the old reviews are made obsolete.
Purveyor

Posted: Oct 20, 2011
Here's a comparison that someone did of iPhone task managers:
https://sites.google.com/site/dofastandwell/home/software/comparison-of-iphone-task-managers
The page has a link to a comparison chart.

And here's a topic in the Toodledo forums from over a year ago:
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/8/5793/0/comparison-of-iphone-ipad-toodledo-apps.html
Some of it is still relevant.

BTW, I remember now that I tried Taska but it was not very good at syncing with Toodledo, and it put various codes in the Notes section of some tasks.

And, here's a review of the iPad version of 2Do:
http://www.tuaw.com/2011/10/11/daily-ipad-app-2do/

This message was edited Oct 20, 2011.
cspence

Posted: Oct 20, 2011
I have tried them all, but find that I use Pocket Informant the most. Nice having both the tasks and calendar in one app. Very quick with syncing.

They are also releasing a major update shortly. (may already be to Apple for review)

2Do has some nice features, but is very slow to sync (can take 5 - 10 minutes with a lot of tasks, the others take just a few seconds).

ToDo is quick, but does not bring over all the information.

All of the ones listed above are among the top rated, with lots of users.

Given that they are not overly expensive, I would try a couple. A lot is personal preference based on how you manage your lists and GTD approach.
Folke X

Posted: Nov 07, 2011
The new version of Pocket Informant (2.0) is out. So, does it have saved searches? Well, yes, but ...

PI now does have something called smart groups, which is, in fact, an implementaion of smart list functionality, also known as saved searches. So, "Yes ..., but:"

These smart lists do not however have any direct relationship with searches you have created and saved on Toodledo's web site. Instead, they are local, standalone searches on the phone, that must be created (reacreated) there. But that's not so bad. Worse is the fact that you do not have the same extensive range of selection criteria available, which means you cannot necessarily reproduce the exact same saved searches on the phone that you have come to depend on here on the website.

Furthermore, you cannot get these smart groups to appear at "the top", within convenient reach at all times. They are hidden away in "a dark corner" (submenu), probably intended more for occasional reuse than for constant reuse as your "personal main menu". (This is the same problem that we are seeing here on Toodledo's web, but at least here on the web you work from a larger screen and can see all your saved searches (your "personal main menu") with relative ease as long as you stay within Search.)

This message was edited Nov 07, 2011.
Folke X Post deleted
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.