ForumsQuestionsSiri and Toodledo

Siri and Toodledo
Paul

Posted: Oct 19, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
RTM has a Siri interface. Does Toodledo?

http://www.rememberthemilk.com/services/siri/
Salgud

RTM may have a voice interface, but it isn't Siri. The Siri API is not yet available to developers.
mpnevans

There must be something - Remember The Milk was just updated with Siri functionality.
Salgud

Score: -1 Reference
I just learned that - posted a reply in the other Siri thread.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 20, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
RTM does it a little indirectly and I give them credit for being clever and getting good publicity from this. When you use Siri to make a reminder, it just adds it iCal on the iPhone. RTM has a way to sync with the calendar, so it sucks the tasks in that way. Everything on your calendar will be sucked into RTM, and vice versa. Its a clever idea. We would prefer to use Apple approved APIs, but we will look into this and see what we can do along these lines.
Fred_Foote

Posted: Oct 23, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
This is less than half-baked but I'd be curious to see if it can be refined by others:

If I dictate a note to Siri (eg, if I say "Note that I need to call Bruce") then Siri creates a note on my iPhone -- I need to call Bruce. So far, so good.

Then if I EDIT the note (why I have to EDIT it is a total mystery), it sends a copy of the (edited) note to my Mail Inbox (and, incidentally, to a new "Notes" section my Apple Mail).

Still with me?

I then created a RULE under the Preferences of my Mail program that if a "Message Type" = "Note" arrives in my mailbox, then FORWARD the message to my Toodledo account.

Here's another glitch. The Rule is marked to be active but doesn't seem to work unless I take the MANUAL step of APPLYING the rule in the Mail program.

Anyway, all this rigamarole ends up then working and the Note ends up as a task in Toodledo.

Can some pros out there clean up and improve upon this? I think there's a solution here somewhere! If it's perfected, all you would need to do in Siri is simply dictate new notes!
Purveyor

How about if you create an entry in your Contacts that has your private Toodledo email address, put "Toodledo" as the name of that entry, and then tell Siri to email Toodledo?
Fred_Foote

You are much smarter than I am. :)

Siri struggled with finding "Toodledo" -- I guess it's sort of a weird contact name for it to find. So I created a contact with my Toodledo email address but gave it the name Gitter Dun. This was an easy contact for Siri to recognize and your idea then worked like a charm. Thanks.

This message was edited Oct 23, 2011.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 24, 2011
Clever!

I haven't tested this (don't have my 4S yet), but I can see how it would work. Create a contact in your address book with your Toodledo email import address listed. Name the contact "Toodledo" or if Siri has a hard time understanding you, you can name it something else like "to do".

Then you just tell Siri "Email Toodledo that I need to brush my teeth"
Salgud

Posted: Oct 24, 2011
Posted by Toodledo:
Clever!
Then you just tell Siri "Email Toodledo that I need to brush my teeth"

I figured you for a serious TD user, but I think having it remind you to brush your teeth is taking it a bit far! :)
lbach

Posted: Oct 26, 2011
Siri has a very hard time understanding "Toodle Do." I now have a new friend, "Larry Tasks." She finds him without difficulty, and is getting stuff into ToodleDo for me with grace and simplicity!

I'm sure a more elegant solution which will date and categorize tasks will arrive after developers get to work with Siri, but the email option is a great first step. Thanks for the suggestion.

Larry
Victor Boctor

Posted: Oct 28, 2011
Is there a way to send an email through Siri without a body?
Salgud

Posted: Oct 28, 2011
Posted by Victor Boctor:
Is there a way to send an email through Siri without a body?

No, because to use Siri requires a mouth, which pretty much requires a body! ;)
Paul

Posted: Nov 01, 2011
From the help:

"Then you just tell Siri "Tell Toodledo that I need to brush my teeth". Siri will send the email to Toodledo and Toodledo will turn it into a task."

I haven't been able to get this to work; it says it is sending the message but the task is never imported.

I can say, "Email Toodledo that I need to brush my teeth" and it does work, but it asks me what I want the message to say (the body of the email) before it will send (and I haven't figured out how to skip this step).

Anybody found a simple and reliable way to do this yet?
Purveyor

@Toodledo:
I see that you added my suggestion to your Help topics but it seems that you don't have an iPhone 4S to test the suggestion.

Siri interprets "Tell" as a text message, not an email message. Change the command to "Email Toodledo". BTW, you can add phonetic spelling to the Toodledo entry in Contacts to help Siri find it.

@Paul:
I haven't figured out how to have Siri send an email without adding text to the body.
Two partial solutions:
1. Add something as the body, and then send.
or
2. Tap on the email to send.

This message was edited Nov 01, 2011.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
You are right, I don't have a 4S yet. Thanks for the correction.
uncgrad95

Posted: Dec 02, 2011
Is there a way to get the email to do to show up in "today?"
I tried it, and it shows up at the bottom of my list with no due date.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 02, 2011
Yes, go into your account settings and under "New Task Defaults" set a due-date default of "today" and check the box that makes it apply to emailed tasks.
jesse.perkins

Posted: Apr 19, 2012
Any changes to ToodleDo's Siri integration? It's really one of the few advantages to RTM. I use Siri to remind me of things all the time via RTM. Or if only the emails from iMessage worked, that would also be ok. But the two step email thing is a no go.
Salgud

Posted: Apr 20, 2012
Posted by jesse.perkins:
Or if only the emails from iMessage worked

Didn't know you could send emails via iMessage. How do you do that?
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.